Relocating a geocache

Tegiro

I want to relocate a geocache of mine. However I am not sure if I select certain coordinates they may not be allowed due to proximity of "Mystery" caches or others nearby. I did look at the GSAK map indicating where the nearby caches are and see about 3 or 4 "Mystery" caches close to the one I want to relocate.
How do I go about finding out how far or how near other coordinates are, so that I may place mine within the proper distance.

The "best" way to do it is to solve the puzzles so you know for certain where they're located.  Barring that, however, your easiest bet is to contact the reviewer to see if there are even any coordinates that will work in the area you wish to relocate your cache to.  If you have a set you would like for the reviewer to check, you can send them to do a check and they should be able to tell you if they're good or not.  Keep in mind that sometimes some cachers attempt to "solve" some puzzles in a similar manner to which I've suggested you go about relocating your cache.  A reviewer might get a bit suspicious if you continually submit coordinates in the same general area.  Just something to think about.

• Helpful 1

Couple o' points.

First, there are rules regarding how far a Cache Owner may move their own cache through an "Update Coordinates" log, which is how it's done. If it's too far for an "UC" log, see Point Two below.

Second, if you move your cache, are you retaining the identity and experience of the original placement? Let's say I found your cache last week. I had a wonderful time seeking it in its location and defeating its camouflage, and thoroughly enjoyed the mountain vista I could see from Ground Zero, which of course was why you brought me here in the first place.

Next week, you move it to a different place five hundred feet away, hidden in a different style, and the surroundings provide an entirely different experience.

Is it the same cache, even if it's the same container?

Anyone who found it in its ORIGINAL placement will not be able to log it in it's new location; you can't log the same cache as 'Found' twice.

You may want to simply archive the old cache and establish a new cache in it's new situ. Talk about the original cache on the new cache's page, drawing a connection between them to acknowledge the history.

Thirdly, you own 24 caches. To answer your original question, the process would be the same one you followed to make sure all the others were 'legally' placed.

Finally, as coachstahly said, your Reviewer is your friend. Work with him or her. Bring a bone and a ball to throw.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
12 hours ago, Tegiro said:

I want to relocate a geocache of mine.

Why are you relocating it?  Is it too easily muggled in it's current location?  As others have stated, if the experience is different for the new location, the perhaps an archive and new cache is in order.   

And solving the puzzles that are nearby is a good idea, both to find those caches, and to know what the final locations are so you can avoid placing a cache too closeby.  A reviewer can also tell you that, but they won't give you exact coordinates.   They may give you the specific puzzle that has a final too close, or they may not.  If you solve the puzzles yourself then you know what's going to be too close.

Edited by CAVinoGal
Clarification
16 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Why are you relocating it?  Is it too easily muggled in it's current location?  As others have stated, if the experience is different for the new location, the perhaps an archive and new cache is in order.   

I would like to move it about 200 to 300 meters away, as recently large "No Trespassing " signs have been erected for safety reasons. Also a huge Hydro project is being run through the area affecting the geocache site.