Can I make a series of "tags" to make a pattern?

MarxNutz

I know that title is kind of confusing, so let me explain what I was thinking of... I would like to set a series of caches that would consist only of a marker of some kind for the players to find and log. Once they find all of the markers, the marked locations would form a pattern on a map. Is that an allowable form of cache? Would it count as a "lab cache" or should I just use the term "waypoints" to describe what I am asking the players to find? Any advice would be appreciated!

Caches must have a container that contains a log. So your series of caches couldn't just be a "marker" or "tag"; they'd have to be physical containers with a physical log for people to sign.

There are two ways to do "geo-art". One is to use traditional cache types, which would have the above requirement - a physical cache at each exact location on the map.

The other option is to use a mystery/unknown cache type, which involves placing the initial set of coordinates only (nothing physical) at locations that will make a picture, but that contain some sort of puzzle or way to change the coordinates to point to the physical cache. I think most geo-art is made this way, as the physical space limitations for the art work wouldn't apply.

Example of geo-art on the map, using mystery/unknown caches: the Canada maple leaf: https://www.geocaching.com/map/#?ll=43.01858,-82.42068&z=14

EDIT: That said, you only have one cache find? I'd highly recommend finding many more caches before setting out a bunch of caches to maintain. Get some ideas for different cache types and ways to hide them. :) IMHO, of course.

Edited by TriciaG
  • Upvote 2
15 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

<aside>

That's not "the" Canada maple leaf, mate.  This is "the" Canada Maple Leaf.

But it's not puzzles, so it doesn't illustrate your point.  "The" just got under my skin...  :lol:

</aside>

LOL!

OK, so yours is THE Canada Maple Leaf Geoart (which, to the OP, is an example of art made from traditional caches), whereas the one I pointed out is A Canada Maple Leaf Geoart. ;)

EDIT: The AB one is definitely more well-defined.

Edited by TriciaG
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, MarxNutz said:

I know that title is kind of confusing, so let me explain what I was thinking of... I would like to set a series of caches that would consist only of a marker of some kind for the players to find and log.

As others have pointed out, markers cannot be caches. Caches must be containers.

But you could have a multi-cache with a container as its final, and a series of physical waypoints that were tags. The information on the tags would provide the location of the final container.

3 hours ago, MarxNutz said:

Once they find all of the markers, the marked locations would form a pattern on a map.

This is the part that I'm unsure of. You can make a pattern with the tags that form the physical waypoints of a multi-cache, but that pattern would be visible to anyone viewing the cache's waypoints on a map.

For a multi-cache to really work as a multi-cache, seekers need to visit the locations to figure out where the final is. If they can tell from the waypoints' locations on the map where the final is, then it's more of a puzzle cache, and not really a multi-cache.

So the question becomes, what information would/could be on the tags that seekers would need to find the final container? To keep the "pattern on a map" idea, maybe the tags could have offsets of some sort. The tags themselves could be in a straight line (e.g., along a hiking trail), but the offsets would put the locations in different places, which would create the pattern you have in mind.