Release Notes (Website: Search Filters) - October 23, 2019

Release Notes (Website: Search Filters) - October 23, 2019

With today’s release, we are enabling three filter options for Basic members on the Logged in Home Page Search Filters and the New Search Map Filters. Previously, these filters were only available to Premium members on these pages. 

Basic members can now filter by:

• Caches they have found
  • Caches they own
  • Caches hidden by another player

For Premium members, all of the same filtering options are available. To highlight which filters are available to Basic members, we have updated the order of the filters. With the addition of radio buttons for some filters, you can now also select “All” in addition to just toggling on or off the filter.

Updated filter panel for Basic members: 

dzLh9afcm7eC6obmyi2FkaSsAyq-eeXKQmUrAu8F

Updated filter panel for Premium members:

70L50CL8pf0PydV0jq05XX7mS8yVkggoK7MDeA96

This change was made to allow Basic members the ability to filter on criteria that were inconsistently available to them on other parts of the website. 

Erin (Oceansazul) is watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Comments unrelated to the release may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

• Helpful 1
21 hours ago, Geocaching HQ said:

To highlight which filters are available to Basic members, we have updated the order of the filters.

It isn't just the order that has been updated; the entire layout has been changed significantly. With the new portrait-like layout, the filter window no longer displays fully on a 24" monitor. Even if I hide my menu bar and bookmarks toolbar in Firefox, I still can't see the whole thing and have to scroll to see the Size filters and "Update Search" button. Please change this back to a landscape layout and/or reduce whitespace so all options can be seen without needing to scroll.

• Helpful 2
  • Love 3

Prior to the map changes, we were also able to filter out caches with "personal cache notes". Please reinstate this feature. I use this filter in combination with filtering our caches with corrected coordinates to generate a list of caches that I may need to solve. I use the "personal cache notes" as a way to mark a mystery cache as a "field" solve.

Thank you

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
7 hours ago, ratjam said:

Prior to the map changes, we were also able to filter out caches with "personal cache notes". Please reinstate this feature. I use this filter in combination with filtering our caches with corrected coordinates to generate a list of caches that I may need to solve. I use the "personal cache notes" as a way to mark a mystery cache as a "field" solve.

I use Personal Cache Notes on puzzle caches to keep track of which ones I've started to work on.

Puzzles I've solved (or challenges I've qualified for) have corrected coordinates.

Puzzles I've started working on have no corrected coordinates, but do have Personal Cache Notes.

Puzzles I haven't started working on have no corrected coordinates or Personal Cache Notes.

It would be nice if I could search/filter for all these permutations (and maybe more).

• Upvote 2

image.thumb.png.9864d3907a6e95b476225790bfa610fd.png

The German translation is not working... / Die deutsche Übersetztung fuktoniert nicht richtig.

PS.: I would like a filter to filter by favorite percent. / Ich würde mich über einen Filter freuen, der nach Favoriten Prozent filtert.

Edited by capoaira
My english it not very good.
  • Helpful 2
7 minutes ago, HHL said:

Just hit the magnifying glass without any search keyword.

Hans

Hmm, don't understand what you're talking about?

"Search the world" is an option in the filters of the serach map. And there's a magnifying glass, too. It's not available in the search from the main page. But there also is no magnifying glass I could click. So what are you suggesting then?

29 minutes ago, monsterbox said:

Hmm, don't understand what you're talking about?

"Search the world" is an option in the filters of the serach map. And there's a magnifying glass, too. It's not available in the search from the main page. But there also is no magnifying glass I could click. So what are you suggesting then?

On the initial Search page, just click on either the magnifying glass or the Filters button (if you want to set up filters before doing any search) without entering anything into the City, state, coordinates, GC code... field and that will search the world:

image.png.988371d473a8ec2e9b963de98eee8ed0.png

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

On the initial Search page, just click on either the magnifying glass or the Filters button (if you want to set up filters before doing any search) without entering anything into the City, state, coordinates, GC code... field and that will search the world:

image.png.988371d473a8ec2e9b963de98eee8ed0.png

Yep, finally found it as stated in my last post. Played a bit with that now and figured out how to use it the way I was thinking about. Filters to work worldwide as long as I don't enter anything in the search page. Never tried that before as I had no need for it :) Now I know that I still need to find another 8567 virtuals :) 

So thanks for putting me the right direction! Thanks to HHL, too!

Edited by monsterbox

The current Search by Difficulty/Terrain is very pretty but does not allow full flexibility according to geocachers real needs.

Current Search by Difficulty/Terrain

1697997715_CurrentSearch.jpg.04341f1a6be2af4d3da1f99613df0cdc.jpg

Proposed Search by Difficulty/Terrain

628269753_SuggestedSearch.jpg.2bbbed47291dab337f5b5623f8efea04.jpg

With such a grid, we could search exactly what we want by clicking the appropriate cells (example : for Fizzy Challenges, etc.).

In the example above, I want to find the following four combinations:
- Difficulty 2 / Terrain 5
- Difficulty 4.5 / Terrain 2
- Difficulty 4.5 / Terrain 4.5
- Difficulty 5 / Terrain 3

Here, a "Desetect all" button would be appropriate too.

Thank you Groundspeak for eventually considering this!

Edited by OusKonNé & Cétyla
  • Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, OusKonNé & Cétyla said:

The current Search by Difficulty/Terrain is very pretty but does not allow full flexibility according to geocachers real needs.

I would argue that what you're describing doesn't meet geocachers' needs. Rather, it meets D/T Grid Cachers' needs.

For geocaching, the current system works just fine for identifying caches that are likely within one's current difficulty/terrain limitations.

For D/T Grid Caching, one needs specific D/T combinations, which is what you're looking for help with.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
On 12/8/2019 at 1:00 AM, colleda said:

So far all responses have been from Premium Members. Any Basic members care to comment?

Be happy that there are some responses at all :P Considering it's millions of accounts it's anyways just a really low number of people posting here. Many might just not even know that the forum does exist while others don't care and the next ones might not be able to understand/write English good enough to take part...