Charlotte gathering

Guest Snowtrail

Guest BGSkierNC

A Charlotte gathering could be fun and interesting. What about meeting at one of the local parks on a Sunday in August?

We could drive a stake in the ground and everyone compare the coords on their GPS to everyone else's.....LOL !

BG

Guest Markwell

Sorry for a Chicagoan butting in, but my co-coordinator for the Chicago Suburbs Geocaching Picnic and I went out on Friday to do just that. He had a Magellan 315 with averaging and I had my little yellow eTrex.

When we got to the spot where the picnic was going to be set up, we tried to zero in on the manually averaged readings I got about 3 weeks before. We were literally 50 feet apart, and both another 30 feet from the previous coordinates (making some weird kind of triangle). He let his Magellan sit down and average for a while, but we were still off from each other.

I guess that shows how inaccurate these accurate devices can be, even with averaging and diligent use.

BTW - after all of that, the picnic area we intended to use on Saturday was already taken. icon_wink.gif

Guest Markwell

Sorry for a Chicagoan butting in, but my co-coordinator for the Chicago Suburbs Geocaching Picnic and I went out on Friday to do just that. He had a Magellan 315 with averaging and I had my little yellow eTrex.

When we got to the spot where the picnic was going to be set up, we tried to zero in on the manually averaged readings I got about 3 weeks before. We were literally 50 feet apart, and both another 30 feet from the previous coordinates (making some weird kind of triangle). He let his Magellan sit down and average for a while, but we were still off from each other.

I guess that shows how inaccurate these accurate devices can be, even with averaging and diligent use.

BTW - after all of that, the picnic area we intended to use on Saturday was already taken. icon_wink.gif

Guest adventuretom

I'm up for it, but would the cooler month of September be better?

[This message has been edited by adventuretom (edited 16 July 2001).]

Guest Snowtrail

I am leading an organized GPS event on Sept 30 and could arrange to combine it with a geocaching picnic... How is the afternoon of Sept 30 for everyone?

Guest Snowtrail

I'll post the coords soon. What I'll do is have it about noon, and have my organized geocache hunt at 1 pm. If anyone wants to go find Knight or house in the forest, again, you are welcome. I might even hide one in case someone wants to join us and see something new.

Anyone from Atlanta is welcome to join us icon_smile.gif

Guest Snowtrail

I'll post the coords soon. What I'll do is have it about noon, and have my organized geocache hunt at 1 pm. If anyone wants to go find Knight or house in the forest, again, you are welcome. I might even hide one in case someone wants to join us and see something new.

Anyone from Atlanta is welcome to join us icon_smile.gif

Guest PharoaH

Charlotte isn't a bad drive at all. Cleopatra and I would consider driving up there for a saturday afternoon gathering. It would be nice to hunt a few caches up there too.

Guest BGSkierNC

Sept 30 fits my schedule.

Snowtrail, let this group know if you need any help with organizing this event. I'm sure many would be willing to help.

BG

BGSkierNC@yahoo.com

Guest Snowtrail

OK, I just made reservations for a shelter on Sept 30. (Donations to offset the $30 cost are welcome). The shelter will be posted at the coords listed in the cache. Bring a picnic lunch.

There will be a multi cache in the park (pending approval) on the day of the event. This multi cache will be not be posted until after the event!

Guest adventuretom

Since there will be a number of us in the area and we are looking to present geocaching in a positive light, I would like to suggest that we hand out trash bags to everyone when they show up and we each pick up all the trash we encounter during the day. This could be a very positive thing especially if the park personnel take notice of it. Either way it will help clean up a really great park.

Guest Snowtrail

Ahh, but I have. I am leading a hike for the Sierra Club that morning, but it's advertised in the latest Natural Connections by Park and Rec. They're been really willing to work with the Sierra Club, so I'm willing to have a gathering there and lead hikes open to people who sign up through Park and rec.

BTW, I've gotten 5 people to sign up through this manner...

Guest PharoaH

We did something a little different at our August GGA Meeting. We had a few presentations from fellow cachers and the response was great. I brought samples and pictures of poisonous plants (and ended up making an impromptu presentation). Bent_Twigs and Eric88L-R presented a workshop on compass use and methods to use when your GPS reception is poor.

Guest Snowtrail

In case anybody cares, I am leading a hike in the morning to find House in the forest and then plant a multi cache that will not be posted before that day. So for all of those virgin hunters, here's your chance. You can race to find this multi cache after the picnic.

Guest adventuretom

I will be placing a couple of one time caches. Find them and take them. I don't want to maintain one in that area. Hard enough keeping up with the ones I have!