Sometimes finders actually leave a note in the physical log. :)

L0ne.R

2 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

Found this nice note in our logbook when I did a maintenance visit today.  It helps make cache ownership rewarding for me. ^_^

I used to do so all the times when meeting a real logbook in my first years but I have to admit that lately I have stopped writing "offline logs" but my name - only with very special caches I take my time...

I still keep all my own logbooks but I have stopped reading old logs which I did in the beginning of my "owner's career". Sometimes I read old online logs and those make me smile, but even that is more rare than before.

If ever I stop reading any incoming log (I do and I enjoy it) I should finish being owner....

One question remains: I can read almost the whole offline log by.... Hm, what is the name of the author? JZfron perhaps? (If ever I log a cache you can rarely read my name, too. ;-))

Jochen

10 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

Found this nice note in our logbook when I did a maintenance visit today.  It helps make cache ownership rewarding for me.

On my caches that have a good-sized logbook I find that often visitors will leave more than just the date and their signature. This one I checked on this morning, GC71QN9, had a nice little note from its most recent finder (almost a year ago), a familiar name on the forums :).

20191021_112446.jpg.cbf68e2197bf0786cb7d5c8495de7aa5.jpg

The cache itself, now two and a half years old, is in good nick in spite of getting its first ever DNF yesterday. The only thing not original is the swag which, like often happens in caches around here, increases over time (there was none in there originally as it's not really an appealing hike for little kids). Another one of those quirks where we seem to be at odds with the rest of the world.

GC71QN9.jpg.e3fd46819100d20ac49642e50ede9e10.jpg

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

On my caches that have a good-sized logbook I find that often visitors will leave more than just the date and their signature. This one I checked on this morning, GC71QN9, had a nice little note from its most recent finder (almost a year ago), a familiar name on the forums :).

20191021_112446.jpg.cbf68e2197bf0786cb7d5c8495de7aa5.jpg

The cache itself, now two and a half years old, is in good nick in spite of getting its first ever DNF yesterday. The only thing not original is the swag which, like often happens in caches around here, increases over time (there was none in there originally as it's not really an appealing hike for little kids). Another one of those quirks where we seem to be at odds with the rest of the world.

GC71QN9.jpg.e3fd46819100d20ac49642e50ede9e10.jpg

Sweet. It reminds me of the early years in my area. Finders left online notes and physical log notes. I liked when finders added a doodle or a signature sticker - it added to the physical log experience. 

The paper logbook in my photo had 35 logs. 34 of the 35 logs were trailnames/dates.  

On a bit of a tangent, I took my dad out and introduced him to geocaching. There was a very old, large cache located a couple of blocks away inside a coffee shop. We found it easily, and it had several composition books as the log. We spent about an hour reading the old logs and drinking coffee. It is one of the few times where I have left a long, hand written log.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Wet Pancake Touring Club said:

On a bit of a tangent, I took my dad out and introduced him to geocaching. There was a very old, large cache located a couple of blocks away inside a coffee shop. We found it easily, and it had several composition books as the log. We spent about an hour reading the old logs and drinking coffee. It is one of the few times where I have left a long, hand written log.

Yeah, not long after I started geocaching, I solved a local puzzle cache, and then stopped by to find it after work. I was so engrossed reading the handwritten notes in the log book (often containing solution-related comments that wouldn't have been appropriate for an online log) that I lost track of time. At some point, I realized that I was reading the log book by flashlight, in a park that closed at sunset. Oops...

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1