Printing maps from Geocaching web site

MacGrumpy

I am not new to Geocaching but am new to printing maps. I want to print a map of the area I will be caching in from the Geocaching web site. I size the page to cover the area I want then click print on the drop down menu (on my Mac). The preview only shows a blank page, if I print I get a blank sheet. Do I need to switch something on, is this facility not available to Premium Members or am I doing something wrong. Any assistance appreciated.

21 minutes ago, montjuïc said:

With Windows 10

Open the side curtain on the left.

Right click on the white zone.

Left click on Print

[...]

Yes, you're printing with the Browse Map. The issue is with the Search Map. Specifically when the geocaching map tiles are selected (by default). Google Map tiles are printing - even with the Search Map. ;-)

Edited by HHL
  • Helpful 1
15 minutes ago, colleda said:

A don't have a Mac. I almost always print a map for a day of caching. I go to the Browse map, collapse the sidebar, and simply use the print function in the Firefox toolbar. Easy.

Again, just for you: The TO talks about the Search Map and its issues. :rolleyes:

Print preview Search Map:

98e0a1e0b7f87acad698b871b13ff1c7.png

Edited by HHL
8 hours ago, HHL said:

Again, just for you: The TO talks about the Search Map and its issues. :rolleyes:

Print preview Search Map:

98e0a1e0b7f87acad698b871b13ff1c7.png

Thanks for that. I just tried the same thing on the search map and got the same result illustrated above, printed the caches but no map detail. I always skip the search map as I've never found it of any use except for the Museum promotion.

• Love 1

Another reason why the search map should not be the default.

I'd not encountered this problem because on the odd occasion when I bother with GS maps I use the browse map with G.M.E. to make it useable, never the search map, which is simply an annoying, time wasting barrier between me and the map I want to see.

90% of the time GSAK macros do all the mapping (with cache name labels and extra map types) I need , and print perfectly with a single click , no faffing with screen shots required.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

I seem to have opened a "can of worms" with my question. I have tried to follow the recent suggestions but much of the language passes me bye. I can now print the maps I require by taking a screen shot and printing the result from desktop. But I still do not understand why I cannot print directly from the searched for map and why I simply get a blank page.

8 hours ago, MacGrumpy said:

I seem to have opened a "can of worms" with my question. I have tried to follow the recent suggestions but much of the language passes me bye. I can now print the maps I require by taking a screen shot and printing the result from desktop. But I still do not understand why I cannot print directly from the searched for map and why I simply get a blank page.

Have you tried skipping the search map and, instead, print the Browse map?

8 hours ago, MacGrumpy said:

But I still do not understand why I cannot print directly from the searched for map and why I simply get a blank page.

As I said before: Select "Google Road Map" (with the map selection button on the right border) and you can print the maps. :rolleyes:

8748208b75f77c3a286a86fe4253a342.png

Hans

• Helpful 1
37 minutes ago, HHL said:

As I said before: Select "Google Road Map" (with the map selection button on the right border) and you can print the maps. :rolleyes:

8748208b75f77c3a286a86fe4253a342.png

Hans

Never noticed that before. It works. Live and learn.

I think I'll still be skipping the search map. I really don't see any benefit from it for me. Thanks HHL

I am also on a MAC.

I just pull up a browse map.  Select any layer type.  From the Browser  ( I use Chrome) Menu Bar I select  Print.

Then you will  see a printer dialog for your printer.  There are options on some printers when printing a web page.  Like, printing background content for example can be toggled on/off and that can affect what is actually printed.  

I used to be able to right click on the trail map and print the trails.  For some reason I am not able to do this anymore.   I've tried different browsers thinking that may have something to do with it, unfortunately they all come up with the  same result.... a white page.   I like to print these trail maps out in case my GPS goes wonkers and I can't get a signal. I can at least have a map of the trails to follow back as I'm not a good navigator.   I have had to resort to doing a screen shot on my phone of the trail map and then sending it to my printer.  It prints out very clearly and It is a quick process.   

Edited by travelgypsys