Garmin Montana 680 Help

bflentje

Yep, I've been using this sweet thing for two years now and I still can't figure this issue out..

When doing a multicache and I used the Enter Next Stage function, I cannot figure out if those coordinates get saved.. anywhere, as a waypoint or other metadata, AFTER THE FACT (marking as Found, DNF, etc). I like saving historical data and my issue is not making it easy. I've checked each of the gpx files generated by the device and cannot seem to find anything.

I realize I can use the Create Waypoint function but I am trying to avoid extra steps, such as naming the point.

What am I missing with the "Enter Next Stage" feature?

They don't get saved. The Next Stage will create a temporary geocache which is linked/associated with the original so that you can, mid-search, stop and find another cache and go back to your multi or puzzle. But once logged, the "Next Stage" cache waypoint disappears. The only way to permanently save solved coordinates, or a next stage, is to create a waypoint. Later, you can enter those coordinates as solved coordinates on the website and next time you download that cache - individually or pocket queries, those are the coordinates you'll get for the base listing on your GPS.

14 hours ago, bflentje said:

Yep, I've been using this sweet thing for two years now and I still can't figure this issue out..

When doing a multicache and I used the Enter Next Stage function, I cannot figure out if those coordinates get saved.. anywhere, as a waypoint or other metadata, AFTER THE FACT (marking as Found, DNF, etc). I like saving historical data and my issue is not making it easy. I've checked each of the gpx files generated by the device and cannot seem to find anything.

I realize I can use the Create Waypoint function but I am trying to avoid extra steps, such as naming the point.

What am I missing with the "Enter Next Stage" feature?

The process for saving each and every 'Next Stage' on the Montana GPSr is quick and easy, as it is virtually identical on all Garmin GPSr. For detailed instructions, see GPSrChive > How To... > Geocaching > Save 'Next Stage' Waypoints

Edited by Atlas Cached
On 10/16/2019 at 8:35 PM, Atlas Cached said:

The process for saving each and every 'Next Stage' on the Montana GPSr is quick and easy, as it is virtually identical on all Garmin GPSr. For detailed instructions, see GPSrChive > How To... > Geocaching > Save 'Next Stage' Waypoints

Interesting. I never noticed the flag "Save/Mark Waypoint" function there before. I am going to try it this evening to see if that does what I need it to do.

Too bad I lost so much multicache history because I was trying to cut corners. :-(

Thank you.

3 hours ago, bflentje said:

Interesting. I never noticed the flag "Save/Mark Waypoint" function there before. I am going to try it this evening to see if that does what I need it to do.

Too bad I lost so much multicache history because I was trying to cut corners. :-(

Thank you.

didnt work. Mark waypoint is not anywhere I can find, outside of the main screen.. which I was trying to avoid backing out to. :-(