Doubled Ninja TB

waschbaer66

We have just found today a doubled Ninja TB! The TB itself is an own made part - in a plastic foil, you will find the TB-Code! The reference picture on the geocaching.com-webpage to this TB shows the original Ninja TB!

Is this allowed? I am frustrated that owner keep the originals! I wil not collect it, but this special-TB is part of the HQ-Game!

Forum_1.jpg

Edited by waschbaer66
  • Upvote 1

In order to request a TMNT tag, the person who received the original tag checked a box that he agrees to place the actual tag, not a copy of it.  But copies of various Geocoins, or "proxies" as they're called, are commonly placed instead of the real thing, sometimes by a finder.  The way it was done this time is cheesy, but allowed.  Well, if not "allowed", it's tolerated.  :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2
19 hours ago, waschbaer66 said:

We have just found today a doubled Ninja TB! The TB itself is an own made part - in a plastic foil, you will find the TB-Code! The reference picture on the geocaching.com-webpage to this TB shows the original Ninja TB!

Is this allowed? I am frustrated that owner keep the originals! I wil not collect it, but this special-TB is part of the HQ-Game!

When people received the free promotion trackables from Geocaching.com, they agree that they'll place the trackable in a cache, usually  within two weeks.

Some examples are: "By requesting a trackable, you agree to place it in a geocache within two weeks of receiving it", and "Request a Free trackable Gecko and we'll mail you a  brand new, un-activated one(while supplies last) as long as you agree to place it in a geocache and help it get started on a journey".

I'm pretty-sure that the site does keep track, after getting poor results on past promotions. 

There are companies outside of the site paying for these, and a negative outcome not good for a future project.    :)

I'd probably be nervy enough to mail HQ and ask why that "trackable"  is like that.  You're just asking a question...  

May not help in this case, but I'd bet on later promotions their name's on a "do not call" list.   ;)

Curious, what did you mean by "I will not collect it" ?

Edited by cerberus1
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 10/13/2019 at 3:29 PM, waschbaer66 said:

I'm with you, waschbaer66!  Totally not cool, Dude!

Dear All,

I have ask also "Groundspeak" for this concern. They answer was as follow:

COPY:

Hello Peter-

Thank you for contacting Geocaching HQ.

It is allowed to make a "copy" or replacement version of a trackable to travel if owners fear that other geocachers might just take the original trackable (because it is very desirable for some reason) or because the original trackable got stolen but they still have the TB code.

As long as the TB number exists in our database, it can be logged.

The basic intend of trackable has been destroyed for me! But it is legal! Therefore I have forwarded also this mentioned copyied TB into the next cache (TB-hotel)!

I will no longer hunt this kind of TB, if they pass my way ok! The basic intension of this HQ-Game is destroyed!

So long from rainy GERMANY!

1 hour ago, waschbaer66 said:

I have ask also "Groundspeak" for this concern. They answer was as follow:

COPY:

Hello Peter-

Thank you for contacting Geocaching HQ.

It is allowed to make a "copy" or replacement version of a trackable to travel if owners fear that other geocachers might just take the original trackable (because it is very desirable for some reason) or because the original trackable got stolen but they still have the TB code.

As long as the TB number exists in our database, it can be logged.

It wouldn't be the first time that we heard (and experienced) someone in HQ not understanding what the issue even is:)

Maybe standard replies already set up for "common" questions in a busy office....

Sure, if you buy a trackable and want to send out a proxy, that's fine.   

- But the site itself even tells us that if you want that free,  promotion trackable, you agree that it will go into a cache.

If that's no longer true, there's a few collections that will probably grow a bit as each new promotion comes out.  

Edited by cerberus1
addification
  • Helpful 1
Hi folks,

The original promotional trackable tag is intended to be placed inside a geocache within 2-weeks of receiving one, not a proxy. Promotional tags want to engage with as many geocachers as possible and make new friends along the way. 

If you purchase a trackable tag, you are allowed to release a proxy in the case that the original has gone missing.

If you have questions regarding promotional tags like TMNT, please email promotions@geocaching.com.

Thanks,

Katie

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
9 minutes ago, mamabear said:
Hi folks,...

Thanks for that.  :)    

Shame that the OP,  waschbaer66, only logged in to ask folks here, but was nice enough to return to give the response they received.

They haven't been back since their incorrect answer from HQ...

- But if any are similar (I already put the "promotions" email in my folder ;-) we can direct another there instead.    Thanks again.