Clearing found list

Syphur1979

11 minutes ago, Syphur1979 said:

We started taking our son geocaching and I'm wondering if there is a way to clear my found list so it only shows ones that we have found together. By this I mean on the website and not a GPS unit.

You've found 15 caches.  How many has your son found?

Run a search on the member who has the larger number, filter by "Found", and you should be able to compare lists manually rather quickly.  Is that what you need?

There are helper programs that have more options for handling databases.  Maybe something in GSAK?

I would not suggest "clearing" actual Find logs from the web site.  You'll probably need to go back later and log them again.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Syphur1979 said:

Of the 15 we have found with this account the first 12 were before he was born. I’m looking to clear those or just change the status from found to not found (but not DNF)

You actually did find them before he was born.  Just leave them as they are.  You could make an account for him, and have separate logs.

People who get into the habit of deleting things on Geocaching.com, tend to become hit hard by the law of unintended consequences.  They thought it would work like that, but it created new issues instead.  If you're reaeeeally excited about deleting valid logs, make a note of what you delete.  And keep that list in a safe place.  You'll be back later asking how to fix that. :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 4
10 hours ago, Syphur1979 said:

I’m looking to clear those or just change the status from found to not found (but not DNF)

Edit the log from Found it! to Write Note. 

Visit the cache page, click the View Log link in the lower right of log, that will open the log on its own page.  There, click the pencil icon to edit.  On the edit page, in the pull down box, select Write Note.  Finally, Submit Log Entry.

The text will stay on the page, you'll be able to see caches where you have a Write Note log, and yet they won't show as Found.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
13 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

Edit the log from Found it! to Write Note. 

Visit the cache page, click the View Log link in the lower right of log, that will open the log on its own page.  There, click the pencil icon to edit.  On the edit page, in the pull down box, select Write Note.  Finally, Submit Log Entry.

The text will stay on the page, you'll be able to see caches where you have a Write Note log, and yet they won't show as Found.

Yeah, that would work.  But it's kind of odd to change one's Find logs due to someone else's finds.  But you may edit Find logs to include who was with you.  It might be good to add "found by me", "found by both", etc., going forward, unless you and your son would never cache separately.  If you're already editing logs based on when he was born, you might as well keep track of who found what, with future logs.  And don't have any more kids. B)

I'm not sure what the OP's plan is.  If it's to allow the son the joy of creating a "Found" log on the OP's previously found caches, the son could instead have his own account.  It could be a basic account.  This may save a lot of log typing later, if you start now.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
12 hours ago, Syphur1979 said:

We started taking our son geocaching and I'm wondering if there is a way to clear my found list so it only shows ones that we have found together. By this I mean on the website and not a GPS unit.

Of the 15 we have found with this account the first 12 were before he was born. I’m looking to clear those or just change the status from found to not found (but not DNF)

Guess I just don't understand why you'd want to mess with the cache's online history, if you're still going to participate in the hobby.  

- Add in that your son may want his own account when a bit older (most do...),  with caches that you may not be together on anyway, and that's maybe why some of us just don't get it.   :)

• Helpful 2

It's also OK for you to revisit caches you've found with him and then write a note that explains your reason for re-visiting this cache, that you wanted to find this together.  Your note and his find log (assuming you create a separate account) would have the same date as well as showing that you both found this cache.  If you don't create a separate account, you can still re-visit the cache and write a note on the cache page saying that you already found it on XXXX date but that your son wanted to find it as well, which is the reason for your return.  Your note would suffice for this desire and he could sign the log, thereby verifying that you two truly found it.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, coachstahly said:

It's also OK for you to revisit caches you've found with him and then write a note that explains your reason for re-visiting this cache, that you wanted to find this together.  Your note and his find log (assuming you create a separate account) would have the same date as well as showing that you both found this cache.  If you don't create a separate account, you can still re-visit the cache and write a note on the cache page saying that you already found it on XXXX date but that your son wanted to find it as well, which is the reason for your return.  Your note would suffice for this desire and he could sign the log, thereby verifying that you two truly found it.

(Bolding mine) Note that six of those caches (all found in 2013) are now archived.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1