satellite

If there was a more general GPS issue, it would likely be all over the media, both conventional and social. I haven't heard a peep.

What kind of issues are you seeing? Difficulty locking onto satellites? Locking on but getting low signal strength? Supposedly good signal strength and accuracy, but readings that are way off the mark?

• Upvote 1

Not well, so taking my time looking for spots since Tuesday to place friends for this years (rifled) deer season, and marked each spot with either a long-discontinued 60csx or a blue legend with no issue.

Agree with The A-Team.  If there was a problem, one of the folks in the GPS forum might have caught it by now too.   :) 

14 hours ago, T-BearNose39 said:

is everyone having trouble with satellite reception the last few days or is it just me in Tucson with my 2 Garmins?

Yes, here in Massachusetts, on Oct. 9, it took over 30 minutes for my car’s nuvi to acquire enough satellites to work and, at the same time, my 64st would not acquire any signals until I turned off the Ruski’s satellites and went with just GPS.  After locking on to the GPS signals only, I tried adding Glonass again.  I watched as the EPE slowly degraded from ±4 to ±65 to ±120 to ±237 meters... before reverting back to GPS only.  This same problem has occurred two times before over the past three months.

The next day I fired up my old Delorme PN-60w that has been sitting in a draw for those three months.  Even with the unresolved “End of Week” issue (date 1999) and an outdated almanac I was able to acquire satellites in 15 minutes and soon had an EPE of ±3 meters. (Love my Delorme, not so much Garmin).

5 hours ago, Capt. Bob said:

The next day I fired up my old Delorme PN-60w that has been sitting in a draw for those three months.  Even with the unresolved “End of Week” issue (date 1999)...

Just as an aside: Garmin released new firmware for the PN-60 to fix the date rollover issue. See the discussion here:

My 78CSX has been acting screwy the last couple of times I've used it. Sometimes it would acquire satellites just fine and then at others, get stuck on the acquisition screen. I'd have to go to the menu and tell it to acquire in a new location to get it to work. Have never had to do this in the past. It's probably my unit acting up but who knows, maybe something has changed with signal transmission itself. I doubt there is an update for my old unit but I'm going to check after I post this.

6 minutes ago, Mudfrog said:

My 78CSX has been acting screwy the last couple of times I've used it. Sometimes it would acquire satellites just fine and then at others, get stuck on the acquisition screen. I'd have to go to the menu and tell it to acquire in a new location to get it to work. Have never had to do this in the past. It's probably my unit acting up but who knows, maybe something has changed with signal transmission itself. I doubt there is an update for my old unit but I'm going to check after I post this.

Are you in "Lumberton, TX"?  The list shows GPS testing in Fort Polk, LA, but the test radius and test dates don't seem to apply to your issue.  Maybe the published information is a little off. :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Are you in "Lumberton, TX"?  The list shows GPS testing in Fort Polk, LA, but the test radius and test dates don't seem to apply to your issue.  Maybe the published information is a little off. :ph34r:

The issues I had yesterday were actually happening about 40 miles north of Lumberton. But after looking at Google Earth, see that the distance to Fort Polk from either location is about the same,, around 80 miles as the crow flies.

BTW,, my unit is the GPSMAP 76CSX, not a 78. I did just go look and found that there was an old update that I guess I had never installed. Not sure what I"Chipset Type G" is or does,  but I downloaded and installed anyway. Tried the unit out afterwards, first time today, and acquisition happened pretty quickly. Turned the unit off for a few seconds then back on and had satellite acquisition almost immediately. I'll keep testing to see if things are back to normal.