Landmarks/roads show in wrong position on map

raynon89

I have a Garmin etrex 20x and when I was out the other day I noticed that all the landmarks that show on the map were in a slightly wrong position. All the roads, traintracks etc would display off from where they all were in reality. Although, it would have me at the correct coordinates. For example, we went geocaching and could navigate with the gps to the correct coordinates and find the geocache. But, if we were on a road it would show that we were several hundred feet to the west of the road we were on. We crossed train tracks, but it showed we had not yet reached the train tracks. It appears as though everything displayed on the map was off from reality by the same distance. Is there a way I could fix this bug? Thank you for your time.

Thanks! I ended up finding a lot of information through that site and some more research. I found some free maps of my area which are actually very detailed and ended up using Basecamp. The newest version of Basecamp, however, messed up the installation of the maps onto the GPS, so I found through someone else that an older version has less bugs/issues. I used http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ for the maps. Anyway, that ended up working quite well, so thanks for the tip.

Yes, the current (final) version of BaseCamp does not install maps properly on their GPSr. Users will need to use the previous version of BaseCamp or install the previous version of Map Install for that purpose. It is a shame Garmin broke one of BaseCamps most basic and necessary functions in the final release, and do not appear to have any intention of correcting it.