downloaded GWC is different from local one

YorkTeam

Hi all,

I've built a "reverse Wherigo" (for Leeds UK) using Urwigo builder, and I'm testing it on the Whereyougo app on Android phone (huawei).

When I test it in the emulator it's fine.

When I compile the GWC locally and download it to my phone and run it, it's fine.

But when I build the GWZ package and upload it to the Wherigo site, and then download it from there - as soon as I start the game, even though I'm actually 500m away, it immediately thinks I've entered my final "treasure" zone (and therefore it tells the player where the cache is grrr...!)

I downloaded the GWC from the Wherigo site to my PC and it's a different size to the one I compiled locally, but as they're binary I can't compare the two files to see what the difference is.

I've checked all the obvious things, such as the cache start position not being inside the zone, and the WIG site doesn't think the start position is in side the zone, and I've put in a check that I'm less than 20m away at the beginning of the zone.onEnter code (maybe this needs to be bigger?)

The icon on the map shows me well outside of the zone

I don't know why the cartridge/player would think I'm inside the zone, as soon as it starts?

Or why it's different in the GWC downloaded from the site?

The GWZ I upload doesn't have a GWC file in, so presumably the Wherigo site compiles the GWC itself, but I don't know why it would end up different to mine.

Any suggestions, even for debug options I could put in, would be greatly appreciated!

Mary

The Wherigo site replaces things in your cartridge, such as the description, with what you enter on the site.  I think it also sets the cartridge's posted coordinates to those on the site.  I've no idea why that was a design decision, but it is.  Anyway, once these replacements are performed, it compiles the GWC and sends it to the client to download.

If you share with me a link to your online cartridge, I can run it through a decompiler I use to test these sorts of things, then send you the decompiled cartridge.  You could then compare the site's decompiled cartridge with your source code.

By the way, the decompiler is a tool I'd rather not give out, though I imagine it's not that difficult to find a different version of one elsewhere.

Thank you very much for your help.

The two _cartridge.lua files look a bit different, but there's enough similarity for me to compare functions, zones etc - and all the points look the same (yours to fewer decimal places!) 

So given your note about the Wherigo site subbing in co-ords etc, I re-jigged my zones and my starting point so that the starting point is definitely outside both zones, and now it seems to be behaving itself.  I'll re-enable it all, and see how it goes.

Thanks again,

Mary