Wrong order for images in log page (Solved)

garenkreiz

In the pages displaying a log, the order of the images recently changed (in the past 2 weeks). The images used to be sorted in the upload order, the same order that is used when a log is displayed as part of a cache page. The Next Image button thus doesn't work as expected as in fact it links to an image that was uploaded previously to the current one.

Users were used to have the images sorted in the chronological order in the log description and page description and in the reverse order (latest first) in the images' gallery. The situation is now inconsistent.

Edited by garenkreiz
9 hours ago, garenkreiz said:

Users were used to have the images sorted in the chronological order in the log description and page description and in the reverse order (latest first) in the images' gallery. The situation is now inconsistent.

So we've three contexts here:

1. Log history (list of logs) - images should display first to last (by uploaded)

2. Log detail (viewing specific log) - images displayed first to last where next moves to forward in time

3. Cache gallery (all uploaded images) - images displayed last to first

(#3 is the odd one as it's debatable whether the order should be chronological by date/time taken, an EXIF property that doesn't exist in every image and thus can make image order appear wonky, or by date/time uploaded, which would seem to make sense but can show old photos uploaded long after the log as if they were brand new)

Anyway, you're saying that for you, #2 is now in reverse order, so the viewing a specific log shows the most recent uploaded image first, and next moves backward.

I would agree, viewing the log detail specifically, it's more like a story with a dedicated gallery, and you'd expect the first image shown to be the first image in the gallery (effectively, by upload order, since that's the only thing the user really has control over).

• Upvote 1

Wow.  If true, I'd find that really annoying.  

When I leave pics, they're in order for a reason.  Most to show others the cache isn't as bad as some assume just by it's D/T.

A lot of time the T-rating here is based on distance, and many (I feel) would feel more comfortable to walk a bit when they see the trail's practically a dirt road once you're past the single-track from parking. :)

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

#3 is the odd one as it's debatable whether the order should be chronological by date/time taken, an EXIF property that doesn't exist in every image and thus can make image order appear wonky, or by date/time uploaded

Or by log date?  That would be my preference.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

True yes, with everything in reverse chronological order, from log date, then log id, then image order.  Keep relevant items together, and keep the implied chronology in reverse order as would be typical for viewing a growing image gallery from "page 1" :)

Edited by thebruce0
  • Upvote 1