"THE OTHER" ... Zero to Ten on the "scale"

My family is 10 (highly supportive) and 0 (ABSOLUTELY refuses to participate).  They do nice things like let me talk about the hobby to them and others, support my geocaching YouTube channel, and help me host my big GIFF event in a movie theater each year (they attend and run the entry table while I'm greeting everyone).  So, they're awesome and supportive.  But they do not enjoy finding geocaches.

I have to give him an 8 on this,  just as I am supportive of his activities that I don't care to participate in.

When we're on a trip, he likes the caching stop every hour or two, because he likes to get out of the car  and walk around for a few minutes.  He likes to explore old cemeteries and to read historical markers, etc.  I have learned not to schedule more than 5-6 stops in a day.  

Sometimes he finds the cache; usually this is because, while I am following the GPSr arrow directly to GZ, he is following me and then heads around to the other side of the bush or rock or whatever--which is where the cache is.

He is interested in my quests to add new states/counties to my map and to find the oldest caches in whatever area we are in.  He likes that it takes us to places we wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Edited by NanCycle
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, humboldt flier said:

INFORMAL POLL:   Where does your significant other fall on the continuum?

with 0 = despise ABSOLUTELY refuses to participate.

with 5  = neutral.

with 10 = HIGHLY supportive / participates

When the other 2/3rds was a crazed FTFer,  she was an 11.  :D    In it for stats and the friendly, odd, out-all-hours-in-your-PJs competition.

She left the finding part of the hobby, after growing tired of beta-testing (mostly, but not all...) new folks with few or no finds/hides.

The last for her was 400 feet off (but she still found it).  

- She was still supportive though,  and still looks at trackables time-to-time, owning hundreds.    :)

Noticing how far I'm going just to walk further than 100' from parking these days, she hasn't talked about the hobby itself for a while now...

10 for my spouse. Especially near cemeteries since he enjoys looking at markers. He likes new states, too, and seeing areas that we had never been to, even in our state.

5 for my kids, although one of them loves the tradition of searching for a cache on Christmas Day. Another loves helping me with puzzles, and the other day after dropping his car in the shop he helped me get two FTF.

I'd give my wife a 6. She doesn't participate, but she supports my own caching activities by, e.g.,

• giving me lots of opportunities to spend my spare time with geocaching
  • supporting (and actually encouraging!) occasional caching stops on a trip
  • helping with puzzles, when the topic is one that she is interested in

OTOH, we don't plan our holidays around caching. With other couples I know, where only one partner is actively caching, vacation planning often is all about "collecting" new countries, finding as many caches as possible (powertrails) , etc.. My wife definitely wouldn't like that.

Mine is a 7.  He indulges and tolerates my hobby.  He will help if it is running slow, and there is a beer at the end after getting the cache.  We can stop and get a state (hopefully a quick one), but too many stops such as every rest area or every county is pushing it.  He is happier if I pick virtuals or earthcaches without the hunt and possibly with a photo opportunity.

7 or 8.  It was her idea to get into geocaching, though not to the extent I have done so.  :laughing:  She hits her limit earlier than I do.

The 6-year-old, on the other hand, ranges.  Probably an average of 5, she can be cajoled into it and enjoys it at first, but as time goes on she will turn against it.

On 10/6/2019 at 9:18 AM, humboldt flier said:

NFORMAL POLL:   Where does your significant other fall on the continuum?

I'm happy to say I've got a 10!!  Hubby and I began this hobby at his retirement, and we journey together!  MOST of our caches are found together.  We've done some separate, and we leapfrog in our number of finds - he is currently about 20 ahead of me, but an upcoming trip for me (and not him) will likely bring me even or possibly ahead of him.  (But who is counting??)

Some DAYS neither one of us is a 10 - but overall we support each other, in finding and in hiding and maintaining each other's hides.  It's ahobby we BOTH enjoy with each other.

• Upvote 1

When she was living in another town, she wanted to find good places to walk the dog. I suggested to sign up and look at geocaching map for large cache concentrations. She thought that was good advice and found a couple caches every now and then. After coming home, she sometimes joins me for a cache or two, chiefly on holidays and travels.

I would give her 6 for participation. Lowered points for always pointing out what a dumb game this is ( when I'm "overdoing it")