Add video to log entry?

weBliss

Thanks for the replies! But to answer #1; Why? Well, there is an old adage of a picture being worth a thousand words.  Yes,yes, I agree, that said, I believe a video is worth a hundred thousand words. After all, think about it, how many people do you know, that for an evenings entertainment, will pay a theater to see a slide show? Come on, now. And as “Touchstone” holds dear, “let’s pass boldly into other worlds”. So anyway, being from the old school, but with an open mind, I’m just trying to figure out how to make a link to a video that’s in my iPhone camera roll???   The video is in my iCloud, it’s 13 seconds long. Perhaps if you see the video I’m trying to send to the CO, you would better understand?

• Surprised 1
  • Love 1

But why is it important that the geocaching world see your 13 second video? Does it show your adventure finding a geocache? Allowing video attachment to logs would, in my opinion, offer too many opportunities for cache locations to be spoiled.  I don't want to see a video of someone finding the cache. I want to experience it myself. As a CO I certainly wouldn't want spoiler videos posted on my cache page.

If you want to send a video privately to a CO, that's another story. I've done that before.

• Love 1

Please no videos. What I want to see is a nicely written log, (and hopefully find something useful if I am stuck :ph34r:). I doubt I could be bothered to click on a video. Certainly not on my phone as it would chew through my allowed download. Actually the same with the home computer too, as I ran out of download the last two months.

But if you want to show a video do a link, so that those of us who are not interested, or don't have the download can ignore. But preferably, you would write a nice log. Much better.

• Upvote 1

Hi weBliss, welcome to geocaching. I looked at some of your finds. It's great you are proving you were there by supplying a good photograph as evidence, but you must remember take along a pen. Some caches have a pen, but many don't, so don't expect to find a pen. Where I live for instance, most caches don't supply a pen, as it's expected that cachers will carry their own pens. I usually have at least two pens with me, in case one runs out of ink. None of my caches have pens in them.

On 10/6/2019 at 3:47 AM, weBliss said:

Trying to figure out how to add a short video from iPhone into a log entry?

1. Find the link to the video. In this example the link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxmvEKy1aFI

2. Open an existing log or create a new one

3. Enter the following text in the log

[See my video](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxmvEKy1aFI "Click here")

If you can not find the link to the video try uploading the video to Youtube to get a link.

• Helpful 1
6 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:
7 hours ago, weBliss said:

I believe a video is worth a hundred thousand words.

That's funny, because nobody wants to read that many words.

J. R. R. Tolkien's book The Hobbit is almost 100k words. Lots of people have read it.

The question is whether any geocaching video is as good as The Hobbit (the original book, not the recent trilogy of movies).

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

As you might have guessed, I’m on the road traveling bouncing in and out of cell service, so felt a little rushed in getting out messages as I do have service for short periods. And I probably should have explained that this was a note to be left for a “trackable” owner, who specifically requested photos to see where and what their releases were doing.  The owner wrote both in the “goal” and the “description” to receive photos, so I was only trying to accommodate their stated desires.  And I might also mention that I’m old school of many moons, and am also trying to develop geocache interest in my grandson, who like most younger kids of today’s era, seem to have a higher interest level in the more techie techniques.     /s/ Grandpa.

8 hours ago, weBliss said:

As you might have guessed, I’m on the road traveling bouncing in and out of cell service, so felt a little rushed in getting out messages as I do have service for short periods. And I probably should have explained that this was a note to be left for a “trackable” owner, who specifically requested photos to see where and what their releases were doing.  The owner wrote both in the “goal” and the “description” to receive photos, so I was only trying to accommodate their stated desires.  And I might also mention that I’m old school of many moons, and am also trying to develop geocache interest in my grandson, who like most younger kids of today’s era, seem to have a higher interest level in the more techie techniques.     /s/ Grandpa.

Add photos, as the trackable owner requested. Forget the idea of videos, which don't work on GPS, or on apps saved for offline use.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, weBliss said:

The TB Owner will really appreciate the photos you add to the logs!

On 10/6/2019 at 7:41 PM, weBliss said:

I’m just trying to figure out how to make a link to a video that’s in my iPhone camera roll???   The video is in my iCloud, it’s 13 seconds long. Perhaps if you see the video I’m trying to send to the CO, you would better understand?

Use youtube.

Seriously. For one, in your camera isn't public to the internet. In iCloud, unless it's publicly shared, isn't public to the internet. No one but yourself will be able to view a video that's offline or local to yourself. Just like you upload photos to a log, you'll need to upload a video to a video service and share it that way. Youtube lets you keep videos "unlisted" meaning they can't be searched, so you can provide the video link and the only people who will know it exists are the people who read the log (or the CO if you send them the link).

That's your best option, IMO.  But you'll have to upload the video somewhere for it to be viewed by someone.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1