Stick a fork in me, I'm done! Scavenger Hunt Grid complete!

Max and 99

1154159498_Scoundrelsfork.jpg.ef0b8a67fd7ff5a1392d3e0614ec2edf.jpg

My Scavenger Hunt grid is finally complete! No cut and paste logs. 3,380 waymarks required, I had 11 extra.

Time since first hunt: 3,258 days, 14 hours, 56 minutes (8.926 years to complete)

This, despite quitting hunts for a while because of computer glitches not being fixed. This, despite having to stop some big hunts mid-completion when I realized someone's coords were way off and would take me 50 miles in the wrong direction. This, despite having to leave some big hunts when I realized that one of the waymarks was not accessible to the public. I had to start several all over again.

Max and 99 Completed Scavenger Hunt Grid Oct 5 2019 1442 time.png

Edited by Max and 99
Aww man, my giff didn't show up!
  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Love 4

Thank you both! I now look forward to focusing on finding Centenarians. As Bruce once said to me, setting my goal of submitting  a centenarian waymark every day for one year was really hard since I had already documented all the ones closest to me! There were a few times that year that I didn't think I would be able to pull it off! Now I can just go look and enjoy finding them as I walk around the cemeteries. So relaxing!

On 10/5/2019 at 2:54 PM, Max and 99 said:

My Scavenger Hunt grid is finally complete! No cut and paste logs. 3,380 waymarks required, I had 11 extra.

Time since first hunt: 3,258 days, 14 hours, 56 minutes (8.926 years to complete)

Then I am recognizing you as my expert in Scavengering. As said expert, how would you suggest proceeding with doing the hunts? Start with the largest hunts, hoping that they may still be closer to home?

4 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

Then I am recognizing you as my expert in Scavengering. As said expert, how would you suggest proceeding with doing the hunts? Start with the largest hunts, hoping that they may still be closer to home?

That's a good strategy, I think. I didn't put much thought into strategy until it looked like I might actually finish the grid. Then I did focus on the larger hunts.

The most important things I learned to do before accepting the hunt are 1: temporarily ignore any category in which you may not be able to visit the waymark (ISS, Limited Availability, etc).  2. check the map. Is there an orphan on the map? If so, look closer at the coords. 3. Check each waymark. Is there a fee to enter? Is it at a location that you may not have access to? There's no penalty to generate another list, so if anything looks amiss or looks like something you don't want to visit, you can adjust the parameters and generate another list.

Wildcards can be really fun, but any hunt that has a wildcard MAY require two visits to that wildcard: One to post, then after it's approved and added to the hunt, One to visit. However, it's only ONE visit if you select a waymark already created and it can be added to the hunt.

Sometimes several hunts will add the same waymark (like your Beechcraft crash). That made things a little easier! The trick is to run several hunts before visits are made, which might increase your chances of a two-fer or three-fer.

Edited by Max and 99
Clarifying wildcards
On 10/14/2019 at 7:26 PM, vulture1957 said:

well, as a non-Premium member, I can only have 1 Hunt at a time. So that kills the 2-fer.

I'll need to see how the Wildcards work.

Just out of curiosity, do you get a notice when someone else completes a scavenger hunt that you created?