Picture Storage on GS for placement in Cache Description

irlpguy

Many of my cache pages have pictures in the description that I assume are stored on a GS server, others are stored on Photobucket. I am now forced to pay to have the photo's hosted on Photobucket and would like to upload those pictures to GS and remove Photobucket from the equation. How can I accomplish this?

When I upload a file it now appears to be hosted here: eg: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/. Is this the new location for the storage of these files as older ones uploaded were stored here: eg: "http://img.geocaching.com/cache/.

If I upload the pictures to GS for each cache and link to that picture will that accomplish what I am trying to do?

2 minutes ago, irlpguy said:

f I upload the pictures to GS for each cache and link to that picture will that accomplish what I am trying to do?

Yes.  :)

I believe URLs of the form img.geocaching.com/... simply redirect to their current storage location, s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/...  The former is the older style, but those links still redirect to avoid breaking zillions of pages.

I'd recommend referencing the latter style directly in your cache pages, if you don't already.  I've had occasional problems with browser plug-ins blocking the redirection using the former.

• Helpful 1

It seems that the locations where geocaching.com stores uploaded images change over time, but the old URLs continue to work. My caches have used

img.geocaching.com/cache/... redirected to s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/...

img.Groundspeak.com/cache/... redirected to s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/...

???.cloudfront.net/... (not redirected)

s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/... (not redirected)

They all still work just fine.

Thank you for the replies, the reason I asked the questions was on my cache pages that were linked to Photobucket and after they had blurred and put a watermark on them I uploaded one of the pictures on a cache page and changed the link to the GS link, the picture was blurred still but did not have the watermark any longer, seemed there was still some way that Photobucket was affecting them.

Thanks again for the replies I will undertake uploading my pictures to GS on each cache as I now have one year to do so since I paid Photobucket their annual fee.