Cache & release event

Eladttob

1 hour ago, Eladttob said:

How do I search for a list of newly published caches for a cache & release event

Such events sometimes have their own website where the caches might be tracked. There may also be a bookmark list containing all of the caches. If there are neither of those, you can run a pocket query and look for the most recently hidden caches. Without knowing more about the event, I don't think we'll be able to give you more.

So... an event that just barely skirts the rules against events set up solely to go Geocaching, and events that encourage participants to place caches? :drama:

Anyone and everyone is welcome to participate in this event in anyway they can and want. For example, you don't have to hide a cache to find caches, or you can hide a cache even if you will be away that weekend. Or, you can just show up at the restaurant to say hi and have a bite. But, we need some hides for this to work.

Edited by TriciaG
added quote from listing
  • Upvote 2
15 minutes ago, TriciaG said:

So... an event that just barely skirts the rules against events set up solely to go Geocaching, and events that encourage participants to place caches? :drama:

Must be a Canadian phenomenon, as I only saw four Published Events like the one I linked above, which was the earliest occurrence.  The last couple that were done were around 2008, so I'm guessing HQ probably pulled the plug on the idea about then.

We had something similar in Nevada, that involved off highway travel on some dirt roads.  The caches were used as checkpoints of sorts, in which you had to gather codes to verify that you were at the locations, but all the associated caches were Published after the Event.  Probably not Guideline compliant on several levels these days.

20 hours ago, Eladttob said:

How do I search for a list of newly published caches for a cache & release event

Hint: You can edit your own listings and so you do not need to write notes like that:

Not mentioned in description - You must look in waypoints for coordinates to each stage.

A note will disappear with incoming logs so better change the listing.

Last year the caches were organised in a bookmark list what is definitely the best way. Why don't you ask the event owner to the same this year?

25 minutes ago, Touchstone said:

The last couple that were done were around 2008, so I'm guessing HQ probably pulled the plug on the idea about then.

No, they still have those events in Canada: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC8D213_yyccar19-we-should-have-brought-a-map is the actual one which the TS refers to.

I've never seen something like this in Germany (and we are crazy about everything.....) and that's good. :-D

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Touchstone said:

The last couple that were done were around 2008, so I'm guessing HQ probably pulled the plug on the idea about then.

We had something similar in Nevada, that involved off highway travel on some dirt roads. 

The caches were used as checkpoints of sorts, in which you had to gather codes to verify that you were at the locations, but all the associated caches were Published after the Event.   Probably not Guideline compliant on several levels these days.

We're kinda curious about that...  whether events we've done similar are allowed today.  Been a while here too.      :)

Years ago the other 2/3rds was thrilled to be FTF on a series of caches in a neighboring state. 

- Turns out an event organizer forgot to ask the Reviewer about making the publish date for them after the event. 

We were FTF on caches that people were to find sometime during the event, but erroneously published hours before.    :D

We're been to many events later that had real caches there to find (not those silly "temp cache" things...), and published once the event was over.

For a couple years we attended an event that all caches were used in a race with others. 

Each cache had pieces to a kids puzzle board that once filled, showed the coordinates to a final (and prizes based on what "place" you arrived).

- When the "shotgun" event was over, the event continued with food and chat (didn't need to participate in the search to claim the event), and the caches were published the next day/

To the OP, search for events with YYCCAR19 in the title.  (How to do that, I'll leave as an exercise.)

What - in Calgary, they never make a bookmark list?  In Edmonton, someone always does.   Very convenient for downloading.

(Both Edmonton and rival Calgary have annual CAR-style events.  It's a thing, and our hard-working reviewers even team up sometimes to synchro-publish the dozens of new caches, maybe even a hundred or more, simultaneously at the requested time.  We don't pay them enough.)

Edited by Viajero Perdido
Linkies, etc.
15 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

We're kinda curious about that...  whether events we've done similar are allowed today.  Been a while here too.      :)

I've seen a number of recent events where the Event Cache was just the "hang out and socialize afterwards" part. The main event happened earlier, but didn't meet Groundspeak's requirements for an Event Cache.

8 minutes ago, frostengel said:

No, they still have those events in Canada: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC8D213_yyccar19-we-should-have-brought-a-map is the actual one which the TS refers to.

I'd sorta agree if there was any mention of the events intentions  on the cache page.    :)

- The add a  link to leave the cache page to see it's true intentions kinda thing...

Requiring that others type  "This cache has been placed for the YYCCAR19 event, held October 4-6, 2019.
This cache was placed with the intention that it not be found prior to 11AM on October 5, 2019.
Caches for the YYCCAR18 event are published early
so the geocaching community can plan their search routes before the event starts. "  on their cache pages sounds like an ALR   (to me) too.   

17 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I'd sorta agree if there was any mention of the events intentions  on the cache page.    :)

- The add a  link to leave the cache page to see it's true intentions kinda thing...

There are several reasons for that: The easiest reason is that they think that the website is enough and they want the cachers to visit the website (and they can't make it better in the listing).

If they added the link after the publish than perhaps...... But I think the reviewer understands what such an event is as it was not the first.

No, I can't see a problem here, seems to be fine for the reviewer.

17 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Requiring that others type  "This cache has been placed for the YYCCAR19 event, held October 4-6, 2019.
This cache was placed with the intention that it not be found prior to 11AM on October 5, 2019.
Caches for the YYCCAR18 event are published early
so the geocaching community can plan their search routes before the event starts. "  on their cache pages sounds like an ALR   (to me) too.   

A cache can be published without this event and it can be named what ever you want. The only special thing about these caches is that they take place in a compatition.

It should be "The cache only can be part of the YYCAR19 series and take part in the compatition when you write ..... in the listing." but I see no problems about that. Who ever wants to publish a cache without these words (I surely wouldn't use them) isn't part of this thing.

I still do not like the idea very much but I see no problems with this event and who ever wants to contribute does - and who doesn't want to does not.

5 hours ago, TriciaG said:

I can't speak for the Alberta events, but I can give some information on the one we have on Vancouver Island in BC.

Since 2005, we've had the annual Hide-&-Go Cache event (or HAG). A short summary of the process is that locals hide caches on the island, submit them for review by early January, and the reviewers publish them en masse on the first Saturday of February. Folks rush out to find them (or take their time, whatever floats your boat), and then everyone gets together in early March for a published caching Event at a pub (the HAG Bash) where awards are handed out in various categories and people otherwise mingle. The cache hiding part of the process is handled through a separate website, so there's no guideline violations for organized cache hunts or promoting hiding. The Bash Event itself is just a meet-and-greet that anyone can attend.

I suspect events like this may be kind of a grandfathered thing and that a new one might not be able to get going today. They really only work if the reviewers are on board, and our local reviewers have been very gracious in agreeing to continue indulging us. The number of hides hit a high of 642 in 2015, at which point the reviewers asked us to scale things back a bit, but they continue to support us and the locals generally chip in to get gifts for the reviewers in thanks.

• Surprised 1