delete found caches on Garmin

djgr

I have a hand-held etrex 10 and I've noticed the found list is getting longer and longer, I cannot figure out how to delete them, I've tried a couple of experiments, like making them into a list and deleting that way, but that didnt work, not to mention it is or (would be) very time consuming if I did it that way. I have at least 300 hundred in the found list on the garmin and it's taking up a lot of space. It used to be easy before the lists. Ideally I would like to delete the found list in one fell swoop, if that meant deleting everything on the garmin I would be willing to do that. In fact that might be the best idea, but I don't know how to do that either. 

Thank you

I do not see [drive letter]:/Garmin/GPX  I am connected by USB I went to Garmin and I've clicked on everything, what I see is Filters, GarminDevice.xml, Garmintriangletm.ico, geocache_logs.xml, geocache_visits.txt, gmapbmap.img, gmapbmap.sum, gmaptz.img, GPX (which has a list of caches but no where near the length of what's in my Garmin) and I cannot find the found ones, Profiles, startup.txt, system.xml, Text.    I don't know what Base Camp is?

I am obviously not commputer savvy, any more help would be appreciated.

Of course not, but I did finally figure out how to delete most of them, gotta say I don't like having to make a list to put on my Garmin, seemed easier the old way, but everyone keeps telling me change is good..........

Thanks for the tip on Base Camp I will explore more and thank you for the help

djgr

I think it's worth clarifying exactly what you're wanting to remove. Is it a bunch of caches showing on the device as found, or is it the field notes/drafts that you're uploading to the site?

If it's the field notes/drafts, colleda's post gives the answer.

If it's caches on the device, those will be in the GPX folder that you mentioned earlier. You may not see as many individual files as there are caches because you can have lots of caches inside a single .GPX file (these would usually be the result of loading a Pocket Query or List, which group the caches together in a single file). If you want to just clear everything out and then load new caches, you can delete all of the .GPX files in that folder.

• Helpful 1

I assumed the OP was asking about Recently Found caches which will continually build up in the Garmin memory unless cleared by the method I described..

Before I posted my reply I tried it out on my Etrex 20x (I have done the same procedure with my Etrex 10) as I had not cleared my found geocaches for a long time, maybe a year or more. After doing what I suggested above I checked my Where To > Recently Found and it was now empty.

21 hours ago, colleda said:

I assumed the OP was asking about Recently Found caches which will continually build up in the Garmin memory unless cleared by the method I described..

Before I posted my reply I tried it out on my Etrex 20x (I have done the same procedure with my Etrex 10) as I had not cleared my found geocaches for a long time, maybe a year or more. After doing what I suggested above I checked my Where To > Recently Found and it was now empty.

That will make the caches no longer show up as found, but the caches themselves are still on the unit. You'd have to delete/overwrite the GPX files in order to remove the caches completely.

• Helpful 1
3 hours ago, The A-Team said:

That will make the caches no longer show up as found, but the caches themselves are still on the unit. You'd have to delete/overwrite the GPX files in order to remove the caches completely.

Yes that's correct. The OP was only enquiring about the list of Found caches in the Etrex.

I load my Etrex from GSAK and it overides previous downloads.

17 hours ago, colleda said:

Yes that's correct. The OP was only enquiring about the list of Found caches in the Etrex.

I load my Etrex from GSAK and it overides previous downloads.

I assumed that they wanted to remove the caches, since that's what people usually want to do, rather than have found caches remain on the device and show as unfound.

Either way, the question has been answered.

4 hours ago, The A-Team said:

I assumed that they wanted to remove the caches, since that's what people usually want to do, rather than have found caches remain on the device and show as unfound.

Either way, the question has been answered.

It has. I had the same problem as the OP with my Etrex 10 when I first got it 6 years ago. I could not, at the time, figure out how to get rid of the build up of the Found caches in the Recently Found menu item on the Etrex. I found it by just going through all the Garmin files and seeing what was there and deleting stuff (somewhat recklessly in my ignorance) until I found what worked.