Caches by Size and Caches by Type Graph Suggestion

Bluespade00

How about putting a second bar for each type/size of cache on these charts to represent for comparison's sake the total percentage/number of caches in each size or type world wide.  It would give context.  The paragraph at the top of the stats page talks about becoming a well rounded cacher.  How do we gauge that?  The chart is a good step but it lacks context.  In my mind a cacher would be interested to see what well rounded looks like compared to the realm of possibility (all cache types and sizes in the world) and possibly the profile of the statistical average cacher.  One may think he is well rounded because he has equyal percentages of finds on each type or size of cache.  This would be accurate if there were equal numbers of each type or size hidden, but there are not.  Maybe a well rounded cacher has find percentages that mirror the percentages of the realm of possibility in the world or perhaps even is country or state.

4 hours ago, Bluespade00 said:

Maybe a well rounded cacher has find percentages that mirror the percentages of the realm of possibility in the world or perhaps even is country or state.

There's a lot of regional variability in the distribution of cache sizes. Here are the relative percentages for the world and for the region within 16km of my home:

Size                  World       16km of home

Micro                45.8%            17.8%

Small                33.9%            48.6%

Regular            12.4%             28.7%

Large                 0.8%               2.2%

Other                 7.1%               2.8%

Places that are highly urbanised might be almost exclusively micros but in those regions that are mostly bushland micros are rare and the smalls and regulars dominate.

I think this would put a strain on the servers, if it were generated every time the page were pulled up. Caches change daily, so the stat would have to run often to stay accurate. Granted, the archivals/publishes on a daily basis wouldn't change the stats much, unless there were some drastic action (such as the thousands of micros recently archived in Nevada or some other western area; I don't recall exactly). I suppose the stat could be run only once a week or something...

You can find those % worldwide or for your area by using the Search button and doing the math so it won't clutter the screen more and like TriciaG said using ressources.

The traditional account for 77,8% of the caches worldwide and the mystery at 14,1%.

Perso I am at 81,0% and 11,1% not so bad.