ISS Sightings - Oct 2019

bluesnote

October is just around the corner, which means another 31 nights of viewing opportunities for the ISS. Let's try and get a few more waymarks submitted, and subsequently published in the category. In the past, this has been done by connecting with other waymarkers. I can assist with any flyovers in the DC area. Can anyone else assist for your neck of the woods?

16 hours ago, bluesnote said:

October is just around the corner, which means another 31 nights of viewing opportunities for the ISS. Let's try and get a few more waymarks submitted, and subsequently published in the category. In the past, this has been done by connecting with other waymarkers. I can assist with any flyovers in the DC area. Can anyone else assist for your neck of the woods?

With shorter daylight times you would expect to be able to have more visible passes during the dark hours. Such is not the case. Because the Earth is now tilting away from the sun, what we actually have is a shorter viewing time during dark time. In the evening the time is shorter from viewing darkness to Shadow entry. In the morning the time is shorter between Shadow exit to Daylight.

On October 24, I have a morning Pass that comes out of the Earths shadow at 05:55 (Central Time) at 70° to my SE over the Gulf of Mexico. At 07:01 (Eastern Time) it passes over Washington DC at 81°. That pass is not listed as a visible pass for Washington DC due to ambient daylight before sunrise.

A note of interest - If you look just above the pass chart where it says "Passes to include: Visible only O  All O". If you click on ALL, the page will refresh and you will see ALL the ISS passes for the 10-day period. You WILL also see that pass for 07:01 am on Oct 24 and it does say it is Visible on the right side of the chart.

On 12/8/2019 at 4:25 PM, Max and 99 said:

Looking for an ISS partner in the Denver area for the evening of Dec. 11.

Denver area pass is high, so the areas outside Denver may be just fine depending on your location.  Approx.  5:26 p.m., 66° altitude, -3.4 mag! 

Too bad I didn't have a partner. It was a great pass! I went out solo, and stood next to the neighborhood Christmas Light to watch a bright pass overhead.

On 12/9/2019 at 9:01 PM, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

I will be in Aransas Pass, TX. It will be at Max Alt at 06:15:35 at 47° to the NW.

Is that the same as Port Aransas?  I had never heard of that place before, and by coincidence, right after you mentioned it, I was reading a book that had a scene from Port Aransas!

On 12/11/2019 at 7:22 PM, Max and 99 said:

Too bad I didn't have a partner. It was a great pass! I went out solo, and stood next to the neighborhood Christmas Light to watch a bright pass overhead.

Is that the same as Port Aransas?  I had never heard of that place before, and by coincidence, right after you mentioned it, I was reading a book that had a scene from Port Aransas!

Aransas Pass is about 6 miles inland from Port Aransas. My less-expensive hotel is in Aransas Pass for the early morning ISS observation. Port Aransas is on the Gulf of Mexico where I'll be for a CITO and an Event the previous day. I'll probably be half-way between, on the causeway, where it's dark for the ISS observation. I'll be looking over Corpus Christi light spillage that's 20 miles away.

On 12/9/2019 at 9:01 PM, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

The morning of December 22 is a pass from Texas to  Ohio.

I will be in Aransas Pass, TX. It will be at Max Alt at 06:15:35 at 47° to the NW.

It will pass Oklahoma City at greater than 45° to the SE

It will pass St Louis, MO at greater than 45° to the SE

It will pass Toledo, OH almost overhead before hitting too much daylight.

Too bad we can't find someone near Chicago to join in. 

40 minutes ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

A perfect morning sky. A few hazy small clouds that didn't stop the ISS from shinning through.

A hotel employee stepped out and joined me for the observation. He was watching me on one of the security cameras.

I'm so glad that worked out for you! We went out and looked, but the fog was really thick. 

34 minutes ago, elyob said:

For me in Ottawa it's only 26° on Heavens Above.  Is the site wrong?

You know what's funny, I even handed my husband the dates and times and asked him to confirm before I proceeded.  He said it looked perfect.

Now I have to figure out what I did wrong. I mean we did wrong.

You are correct in your location! Apparently the location we checked, much further north, was a much higher viewing altitude. That's what I think happened. I should have been more specific in my search. Update:  Mystery solved! I got locations for you and Bob Echo mixed up. My data was right, but for the wrong person.  My apologies! 

?

Edited by Max and 99
2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

You are correct in your location! Apparently the location we checked, much further north, was a much higher viewing altitude. That's what I think happened. I should have been more specific in my search. Update:  Mystery solved! I got locations for you and Bob Echo mixed up. My data was right, but for the wrong person.  My apologies! 

?

Ontario is a big place.

Edited by elyob

Keep your fingers crossed that I can see the Starlink 3 satellites tonight. I had a good chance to see it a week ago when they were launched, but we were just a little bit too far north for the train.  My son is trying to figure out how to use a tripod with is camera for photos, but we haven't figured that out yet.

• Upvote 1