Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluesnote

ISS Sightings - Oct 2019

October is just around the corner, which means another 31 nights of viewing opportunities for the ISS. Let's try and get a few more waymarks submitted, and subsequently published in the category. In the past, this has been done by connecting with other waymarkers. I can assist with any flyovers in the DC area. Can anyone else assist for your neck of the woods?

16 hours ago, bluesnote said:

October is just around the corner, which means another 31 nights of viewing opportunities for the ISS. Let's try and get a few more waymarks submitted, and subsequently published in the category. In the past, this has been done by connecting with other waymarkers. I can assist with any flyovers in the DC area. Can anyone else assist for your neck of the woods?

With shorter daylight times you would expect to be able to have more visible passes during the dark hours. Such is not the case. Because the Earth is now tilting away from the sun, what we actually have is a shorter viewing time during dark time. In the evening the time is shorter from viewing darkness to Shadow entry. In the morning the time is shorter between Shadow exit to Daylight.

On October 24, I have a morning Pass that comes out of the Earths shadow at 05:55 (Central Time) at 70° to my SE over the Gulf of Mexico. At 07:01 (Eastern Time) it passes over Washington DC at 81°. That pass is not listed as a visible pass for Washington DC due to ambient daylight before sunrise.

A note of interest - If you look just above the pass chart where it says "Passes to include: Visible only O  All O". If you click on ALL, the page will refresh and you will see ALL the ISS passes for the 10-day period. You WILL also see that pass for 07:01 am on Oct 24 and it does say it is Visible on the right side of the chart.

Fantastic sighting for me tonight, despite current storm warnings. Three teenagers playing basketball down the street joined me. Bright and long pass.