FTF

29 minutes ago, volksgeogypsies said:

Protocol for logging FTF

15 minutes ago, volksgeogypsies said:

Have heard that "FTF" must be the first entry in your log in order to get the FTF recorded.  

There is no "protocol" for the FTF side game.  You've been around, with enough finds to know that, so curious ... what's this about ?  ;)     

The only persons making a claim there is any "rule"often have some reason ( for their own benefit..)  for it.  :)

Much of this silliness can be put to rest simply by having a line designated for "FTF" in the cache's log.  But you know that...

1 hour ago, volksgeogypsies said:

Have heard that "FTF" must be the first entry in your log in order to get the FTF recorded.  

Project-GC uses several versions of that string to identify FTFs for its own statistics, i.e.

FTF List

Here you can list your FTFs. This list can be used to check if you have tagged them in GSAK but missed tagging them in the online log.

There are two ways for Project-GC to detect your FTFs. Either you tag your logs with one of these tags: {*FTF*} {FTF} [FTF]. Alternatively, you can add an FTF bookmark list under Settings that will be checked once per day.

Other applications may use different methods. There is no recording of FTF on geocaching.com.

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, volksgeogypsies said:

It's something that may be set up manually, by each cacher who intends to have "FTF" tracked as a statistic.  One site that can do it is Project-GC, and there's a particular format it's looking for in online logs.  For Project-GC, the log doesn't have to be the earliest online log, just the {*FTF*} code or whatever.  Online logs are not always in the sequence that the paper log was signed.

For my own caches, I place a Certificate of FTF in the new cache.  It's unofficial and unregulated.  I don't necessarily know who found it when, so I don't even congratulate the FTF anymore.  But they get the certificate so it's all nice and legal. :P

Edited by kunarion
While typing my post, I was bitten by a duck.
3 hours ago, volksgeogypsies said:

That might not work out if a later finder manages to squeeze their name before the first signature. I put FTF and a place for a signature on my logs. So far this has worked. I have not had any disputes about FTF with any of my caches, and I have not had any disputes with anyone else when hunting and claiming FTF. But that could just be the friendly local community, who generally agrees to share FTF with all the people who are there and searching. If there wasn't this agreement, I could see how it could cause conflict.

The FTF game can be a lot of fun if there are others in the area playing to make it challenging. The important thing is that no one should take it too seriously. Being FTF is simple and unless someone is out to cheat, is normally easy to figure out. All ya gotta do is be the first one to the cache site to find the container and sign the log. Yes, your signature is first in the logbook but there are times when it might not be at the top. For instance, if the logbook pages stick together and you inadvertently sign your name on the 2nd page. 

When we played the FTF game some years back, we always made a quick look through the logbook to see if someone might have signed in a less obvious place. Never saw it happen around our area but I have read here in the forums where some have tried to be funny by signing on the last page to throw others off. Even read once that someone signed with ultraviolet ink in an attempt to cause angst. :rolleyes: 

If you are first to find, log your find online as soon as you can.

If you found the cache before approval (FBA) and don't intend to claim FTF, withhold your "found it" log

until someone logs the cache "found it" online.

This way the cache remains in play and in the correct found/not found status for those interested in the ftf-hunt.

You may have right to claim (or count) FTF even if you are not the first name in the physical or online log book.

It is clearer when you type "FTF" on the first line. This is for people to see, not so much for statistics, which is more or less unofficial.

5 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

The FTF "race" has become something of a race of snails here. On Saturday I grabbed FTF on a new virtual that was published last Wednesday and still hasn't seen 2TF, and earlier in the week I got 2TF on a cache that was published on the 18th (FTF was on the 22nd).

I'll wager nobody has a notification set for the publishing of a new Virtual, and may not be aware of its existance

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, papu66 said:

If you found the cache before approval (FBA) and don't intend to claim FTF, withhold your "found it" log

until someone logs the cache "found it" online.

For the record, the volunteer reviewers do not approve caches. They merely publish cache listings.

If they had to approve the caches, then I imagine that a lot of cache listings would never be published.

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, coachstahly said:

I do!  I managed to get a FTF on one of the first set of virtual rewards that were handed out.

I also have notifications set up for Virtuals and got a FTF on one from the second batch. IIRC, I changed my notification for Virtuals to include "Publish" back before the first batch when I learned that new Virtuals would be coming.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
44 minutes ago, J Grouchy said:

I never have...never felt necessary.  On occasion, I have congratulated the first person to solve a puzzle...especially when it's not the same person that found it first.

How would you know who solved a puzzle first? You can know who used a checker first, maybe, but that doesn't mean they were first to solve.

11 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

The FTF "race" has become something of a race of snails here. On Saturday I grabbed FTF on a new virtual that was published last Wednesday and still hasn't seen 2TF, and earlier in the week I got 2TF on a cache that was published on the 18th (FTF was on the 22nd).

Yep - this region seems to be in a lull again.... I thought we were coming out of one mid-year with some new cachers and even new hiders, but things are slowing once more.....

39 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

How would you know who solved a puzzle first? You can know who used a checker first, maybe, but that doesn't mean they were first to solve.

There are very few folks who try for the harder puzzles.  There are a few ways it happens.  Sometimes I get a message from a person telling me they solved it (and how) but cannot get out there to make the find right away.   It usually involves people I've talked to before and feel comfortable asking them to confirm how they solved it.

17 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Geocaching as a whole has come to a crawl in our area as well.  Caches are slow to be published these days and when one does come out, no one gets in any hurry to get it. Not sure the reasons others might have but for me, it's because there's no challenge getting a FTF these days.

On 9/29/2019 at 2:14 PM, volksgeogypsies said:

Protocol for logging FTF

If you are the first person (or people if you're in a group) to sign the physical logbook, congratulations you're FTF! Sometimes, cachers will be FTF but won't log their find until a few hours, or even days after so it's important to check the physical log. If you're sure you're the first, feel free to say so in your log! There's no real protocol, but if you're using something like Project GC, then it's recommended to write [FTF] in your log so they can tag it later on. If you want, you can also add your FTFs to a bookmark list so you can look back at them later on! Congratulations on the FTF!

• Upvote 1