Wherigo

mapamaee

17 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

The code is at the end of the Wherigo when completed.

But according to your profile you have found 0 Wherigo so did you downloaded the app to be able to play them?

But according to your profile you have found 0 Wherigo so did you downloaded the app to be able to play them?

I downloaded everything I could, but still I can’t find a code... Maybe I did something wrong...

20 minutes ago, mapamaee said:

Do we have to be at the plce to start the Wherigo?

Not exactly ... see Lynx Humble's reply ....

(My emphasis/bolding of words).

So you not only have to start the Wherigo, you have to *complete the activity* (not just the download), as well.

4 hours ago, mapamaee said:

There are two main types of Wherigos out there.  One is the play anywhere type of Wherigo.  It's a cartridge that you'll download to your device, regardless of where the Wherigo is actually located, and you can play it to get the final coordinates and the unlock code.  However, in order to log the find on geocaching.com, you'll need to go to the location of the final and actually sign the log.  For example, Hangman - constellations, presidents, states, and one other one exists in multiple states.  Once you complete each of them, it will give you the final coordinates in each of the states that you will need to go to in order to log the find online.

The other type is a lot like a virtual stage multi.  You will need to go to the place where the Wherigo is posted and complete the cartridge in order to get the unlock code and also find out where the final is located.  Some are short and some are long.  Some are complicated while some are easy but all of them involve starting at the posted coordinates and moving on from there.  It varies from cartridge to cartridge.

9 hours ago, mapamaee said:

I downloaded everything I could, but still I can’t find a code... Maybe I did something wrong...

9 hours ago, mapamaee said:

As VAVAPAM and coachstahly said, you need to complete the Wherigo, and that's done using an app that can "play" the cartridge.  Where You Go for Android is the one that seems to work best for me.  Some cartridges work well, others are frustrating and seem to lead you in circles ... we've completed a few, and when you get to the final stage you are given an "unlock code".  So far I have not had to use that unlock code for anything - I log the find on geocaching.com once I've signed the log that is in the cache container at the end of the Wherigo trail.  I *think* it's supposed to allow you to log ont he Whreigo site, but I've never done that.  maybe I'm missing something, and there's some other value to the unlock code?  I haven't ever needed it.

1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

As VAVAPAM and coachstahly said, you need to complete the Wherigo, and that's done using an app that can "play" the cartridge.  Where You Go for Android is the one that seems to work best for me.  Some cartridges work well, others are frustrating and seem to lead you in circles ... we've completed a few, and when you get to the final stage you are given an "unlock code".  So far I have not had to use that unlock code for anything - I log the find on geocaching.com once I've signed the log that is in the cache container at the end of the Wherigo trail.  I *think* it's supposed to allow you to log ont he Whreigo site, but I've never done that.  maybe I'm missing something, and there's some other value to the unlock code?  I haven't ever needed it.

I don't have a cell phone.  The Wherigos that I've found, I brute forced.  I signed the logs, and logged them on-line.  Sign log, log cache.

11 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

I *think* it's supposed to allow you to log ont he Whreigo site, but I've never done that.  maybe I'm missing something, and there's some other value to the unlock code? 

The unlock code doesn't really do anything other than allow you to "unlock" the cartridge on the host site, Wherigo.com.  @Ranger Fox would be able to tell us more about it.  I always thought that it would be a great way to show that it was actually completed as intended, since it's not generated by the creator but rather the program itself.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, coachstahly said:

The unlock code doesn't really do anything other than allow you to "unlock" the cartridge on the host site, Wherigo.com.  @Ranger Fox would be able to tell us more about it.  I always thought that it would be a great way to show that it was actually completed as intended, since it's not generated by the creator but rather the program itself.

Agreed.  If you've signed the log, there's no need to worry about the unlock code just to log a Found It on the GC.com cache site.

OP, if you're using an iPhone with Wherigo, see this pinned topic: Playing Wherigo on the iphone  (1st post, 3rd item)

Edited by VAVAPAM
overcaffeinated
8 hours ago, coachstahly said:

The only time that I used the code was when I created my Reverse Wherigo. You need to complete a Reverse to get it