Earthcaches for everyone!!! ?

funkymunkyzone

1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

I think Earthcaches are not available for basic members to see if they are using the app - (only traditionals 2/2 and below and Events; I could be wrong).  So anyone, using the app or website, basic or premium, can see the EC's and log one, or more.

I'm venturing a guess, that based on the last souvenir promotion that heavily favored using the app, that ALL Earthcaches will be available to see on the app during the Earthcache weekend.  Just my guess, though!

• Upvote 1

I just can't tell what it means...

- All earthcaches available on the app when they weren't before? Maybe...

- All earthcaches PMO or not, available to anyone?

- Earthcaches may be hidden by anyone (restatement of status quo?)

- Eathcaches may be found by anyone, notwithstanding PMO status of some (again restating status quo)

I think if it's just about displaying them on the app or not, I don't get it - either an earthcache type of geocache is or is not easy enough to understand by a new basic member.  Whether it is International Geocaching Day does not suddenly make people smarter or more knowledgeable about what they are supposed to do to log a find on an arguably more complex cache type (than a simple trad).

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I agree, but didn't that happen with a recent promotion, or am I misremembering?

PMO caches weren't "opened".

The site did say (with the mary hyde promotion)  "From August 7 to August 16 only, we’re opening up all D and T ratings for Traditionals (excluding Premium only) in the Geocaching® app to all members! ".      :)

I remembered seeing something similar myself though, thinking maybe it was whoever was incorrectly calling "advanced" caches premium in the app. 

- Basic members asking in the forums about "premium" caches, when in fact they were simply advanced started folks noticing.

I believe that's since been corrected...

Edited by cerberus1
15 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

I think Earthcaches are not available for basic members to see if they are using the app - (only traditionals 2/2 and below and Events; I could be wrong).  So anyone, using the app or website, basic or premium, can see the EC's and log one, or more.

I sorta agree    Anyone using the website can see all caches (except PMO)  year-round.

This seems to now include that full function in the app during this promotion.

I haven't seen any PMO earthcaches, but I guess there'd be folks who'd have one just because they can if it's possible... 

It does say "all geocachers",  not all earthcaches though.

ETA...   Found two "premium" earthcaches within 100 miles of me...

Edited by cerberus1
55 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

A quick search reveals 1894 PMO ECs worldwide, including one just 7km from me. Next time I bump into its owner I must ask him why he did that.

Yeah... The only thing I can think of is maybe they had to delete a Found It a couple times when newbs posted a DNF or NM.   

One puzzle owner near me goes through that sometimes... 

So many families  caching,  I'd think an earthcache would be a learning experience for those basic family members who'd be able to log it anyway.   :)

• Upvote 1