#TMNT travel bug

driveby

1 hour ago, driveby said:

Just curious if anyone has received one of the TMNT travel bugs yet.  How did it arrive?  in an envelope or was it shipped like a package.  

It was in an envelope.  I'd suppose you're asking about official mailings, which my envelope was not.  There was a local TMNT Event, GS was very awesome to provide tags, but they didn't arrive in time for the Event.  The selected cachers filled out self-addressed envelopes.  Mine arrived yesterday.

f1df1470-8c6b-4054-975a-077e07043812.jpg

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, kunarion said:

It was in an envelope.  I'd suppose you're asking about official mailings, which my envelope was not.  There was a local TMNT Event, GS was very awesome to provide tags, but they didn't arrive in time for the Event.  The selected cachers filled out self-addressed envelopes.  Mine arrived yesterday.

f1df1470-8c6b-4054-975a-077e07043812.jpg

That's Awesome.  what did you attach it to?  or is that just for taking a picture of it?

2 hours ago, driveby said:

That's Awesome.  what did you attach it to?  or is that just for taking a picture of it?

It’s a gold dragon charm and a “Found” pendant charm and a copper clip held to a cable with a copper dragon bead.  I drilled a hole for the cable.  I use Locktite on my threaded cable connectors so they stay together.

For the photo, it’s hanging on rocket fins I found. :)

Edited by kunarion
22 minutes ago, FLDancingQueen said:

Out of curiosity, do people actually place these in caches or only keep them as collectibles? It'd be super cool to see one in the wild heh. 

Lots of people place these kinds of things.  That's the only way I've logged some of them.  Here's a map of these tags in the wild:  https://www.geocaching.com/play/promotions/ninjaturtles?id=3&utm_source=TMNT&utm_medium=TBpromo&utm_campaign=blog

I'll place mine.  I placed my Geico Gecko tag "Leaping Lizard" eight years ago and he's still in play, with 28,000 miles.

Edited by kunarion
3 hours ago, FLDancingQueen said:

Out of curiosity, do people actually place these in caches or only keep them as collectibles? It'd be super cool to see one in the wild heh. 

Normally there's an agreement with that name and address,  saying that you agree  to place them within two weeks.

I believe they do check, and if folks are just keeping them, they probably won't be given the opportunity again...

Edited by cerberus1
  • Helpful 1
4 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Normally there's an agreement with that name and address,  saying that you agree  to place them within two weeks.

I believe they do check, and if folks are just keeping them, they probably won't be given the opportunity again...

I was just about to say the same thing. If I remember correctly, when I applied to get a TMNT tag, I had to agree to place it in a cache within 2 weeks.

3 hours ago, kunarion said:

Lots of people place these kinds of things.  That's the only way I've logged some of them.  Here's a map of these tags in the wild:  https://www.geocaching.com/play/promotions/ninjaturtles?id=3&utm_source=TMNT&utm_medium=TBpromo&utm_campaign=blog

Oh wow, I didn't realize they were already in play. That's exciting! Hopefully they'll make it to Japan :D

29 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

That's really cool and good to know! I'll definitely apply next time, thanks for the info! 

13 minutes ago, FLDancingQueen said:

Oh wow, I didn't realize they were already in play. That's exciting! Hopefully they'll make it to Japan :D

OK, I just now realized that the first map is of Events only.  Not the Trackables.  Some of the Events have occurred already, and (I guess) their tags distributed to participants.  I don't know the status of individual requested tags.

Holy Cats!  The 2nd map is the tracking map of the actual Turtle tags, and it's blank!  What happens if I place mine right now?  Will I be FTP? I should go try it...  :P

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Yes, they do check.  Shortly after I received one from a previous promo, I dropped it in an event cache but nobody took it.  Then I had foot surgery and couldn't get out to place it within the 2 week time frame.  It wasn't immediate, but a short time after, I got an email reminding me of that agreement.  While I did reply with an explanation - and did drop it in a cache promptly after that - I fear it has given me a black mark for future TB promos. Shucks.

Edited by VAVAPAM
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, VAVAPAM said:

Yes, they do check.  Shortly after I received one from a previous promo, I dropped it in an event cache but nobody took it.  Then I had foot surgery and couldn't get out to place it within the 2 week time frame. 

It wasn't immediate, but a short time after, I got an email reminding me of that agreement.  While I did reply with an explanation - and did drop it in a cache promptly after that - I fear it has given me a black mark for future TB promos. Shucks.

Yep.   I probably would have written on that trackable's page my issue. 

-  Similar to a note to the Reviewer, might have kept you in-the-good (if you aren't still now).   :)

The last two I received a while ago still haven't been retrieved, grabbed, or discovered by one person yet, but I put them both out within the asked-for timeframe.

This last one I couldn't try for just because I use IE ...

• Helpful 1

The first promo trackable I applied for, I won!  It was one of the TreasureX Gold-Fin TB's. I followed instructions, took it to afew places, posted photos, then released it within about a week after receiving it.  This discussion got me curious as to where mine had been, and is now.  (I applied for the Smokey Bear, and this current TMNT promo, but haven't been chosen again, apparently).

Turns out it's traveled locally, one quick trip to the eastern US but brought right back here and is currently waiting to be dropped off.  Still in play, but hasn't traveled as far or as extensively as a couple of my other TB's. (TB90HN7)

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:26 AM, kunarion said:

OK, I just now realized that the first map is of Events only.  Not the Trackables.  Some of the Events have occurred already, and (I guess) their tags distributed to participants.  I don't know the status of individual requested tags.

Holy Cats!  The 2nd map is the tracking map of the actual Turtle tags, and it's blank!  What happens if I place mine right now?  Will I be FTP? I should go try it...  :P

Anyway, yeah, I placed my turtle.  It’s one of three tags currently shown on the map world-wide!  The other two are in or near HQ.

[EDIT: As of 9/28/19, there's an icon in France, so now it's four total icons.]

IMG_1429.jpg

https://www.geocaching.com/play/promotions/ninjaturtles?id=3&utm_source=TMNT&utm_medium=TBpromo&utm_campaign=blog

Not sure what the deal is with the stats on the map.  There are only two turtles represented on the map, yet all four racing turtles have accrued mileage, although it doesn't look like the two around Seattle have in fact logged mileage on their trackable pages.  Maybe the numbers are left over from beta tests or something.

[EDIT: Visits don't show on the map, which might explain mileage with no icons.  It would be cool if "Visits" showed anyway, maybe as a smaller gray dot, for at least a short while]

Three people are watching my turtle!  Wow, I don't think any of my other trackables have that many.  It's the big leagues! :D

Edited by kunarion
  • Funny 2
15 hours ago, Ms Marvelous said:

Hideeho just got my trackable today and have activated it will be dropping it off in a couple of Days

That looks great!

You will notice that the TMNT icons are only displayed on the map while the tags are in a cache inventory.  Once retrieved into somecacher's hands, the icon is gone.  It makes sense, but it also tends to make that map pretty sparse.

No email so i guess i wasn't chosen.  I have yet to place my smokey trackable because i want to put it on a smokey the bear figure that i have yet to secure.  I might have screwed myself out of this one because of that.  I figured that since it was such an icon trackable, it should have something of equal value to send it off with.  Hopefully once i get it out there, i will be taken off the black list.  is there a map for the Smokey trackable like the TMNT map?

47 minutes ago, driveby said:

I have yet to place my smokey trackable because i want to put it on a smokey the bear figure that i have yet to secure. 

Others we know used figures too.  I found a tiny shovel that (if it ever moves outta it's first cache...) attached  with him.

- Most ads we've ever seen had him holding one.   :)

39 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

No events near me, no trackables near me (according to the maps).  How do I participate?  And what exactly is the promo? ????

There is an Event map.  People at the Events might have some of these, maybe previously mailed to them?  So that’s one way to participate.  Go Discover tags.  Maybe someone closer to where you live will be at an Event.

Plus, the tags can travel. I’ve been surprised finding various previous promotion tags.

The trackable map shows tags only while they’re in a cache.  People worldwide are currently receiving them, and then they set up the attachments and the trackable page, and probably do some visits and discoveries.

The only way anyone knew where my tag was (or even that it existed) is by seeing it on the map.   Now in a cacher’s hands, the tag is gone from the map.

Edited by kunarion

1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

So the object is just to Discover, or move one or more of the TMNT travel bugs?  

Each of the four turtles is in a mileage race.  There is a goal to Discover all four, but it may be more of a suggestion than anything else.

It’s a lot like the others.  There are a limited number if them, and a fun surprise when one turns up in a cache.

I’ve never seen a Smokey Bear tag.

Edited by kunarion
12 hours ago, kunarion said:

I’ve never seen a Smokey Bear tag.

:)

I realized it might be a while with 4 terrain, but the Smokey we received has been sitting since 6/19.

- Not as bad as a Duck Tales, that's sitting in a puzzle simple enough a dyslexic old fart could figure (and only T2.5), since 6/18. 

8 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

:)

I realized it might be a while with 4 terrain, but the Smokey we received has been sitting since 6/19.

- Not as bad as a Duck Tales, that's sitting in a puzzle simple enough a dyslexic old fart could figure (and only T2.5), since 6/18. 

I have seen one of them metal shot glasses.  I don't remember what promotion it was, but it's a shot glass Geocoin.  I didn't log a Discover in the hands of the guy who has it.  You know, because he never activated it. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, kunarion said:

I have seen one of them metal shot glasses.

The Tin Cup travel bugs - they were cute!  I carried one with me for awhile, and have discovered another.

Back on topic - how long does this #TMNT promo last?  Or do the trackables just get let loose (as in the Tin Cup, Ducktales, Gold-Fin, etc promos) and you just log 'em when you come across them as you  would any other TB?  No events within hundreds of miles (the closest according to the map on the blog is nearly 2000 miles away!) and unless I happen to find a cache with one of the TB's to discover (closest one on the map is 340 miles away).

This is the first time I've seen a map of the TB locations - with 4000  and more out there, the map could get crowded but there's no where near that many showing up.

44 minutes ago, DBBOND007 said:

Have you looked at the map? Pretty sure they would be showing by now. Look at the US or Europe. All showing TB's

Look at the map around Atlanta, Georgia, USA.  Many people around the metro area have the tags, yet the area's blank.  There are no icons unless the tags are in a cache.  They accrue mileage if cachers are doing "Visits", but the icons don't appear unless the tag is dropped and currently logged into a cache Inventory.

I placed mine when there were only two showing in the whole world.  Mine was there on the map for only a couple of days, until retrieved from a cache.  Now its icon is gone.

My tag has the goal of being placed into a cache in Japan (because of a previous post about someone not seeing any such icons there).  Once he's met his goal, I can change it to go to Canada.  Then you (or whoever takes it), can log it and then place it right away into a suitable cache and log the drop so that the icon appears. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
22 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Agreed.   Folks not wanting to "let go" of their new play-toy yet, and visiting to caches (which won't show on that map).   :)

Yeah, there's that, and once placed, there's a map icon and someone ready to go snag it, and then... no icon.  The tags may take a little longer to arrive by mail to Canada, but it looks like everyone most anywhere who's gonna get one by mail has already received it, over two weeks ago.

Of nine people who received TMNT tags at an Event I attended near Atlanta, I'm the only one who placed one.  Come on, people!  :rolleyes:

• Helpful 2
18 hours ago, DBBOND007 said:

I guess they forgot to send any to Canadians. Boooo!!!!

By the news page, it said, " anyone can register to receive a Turtles trackable at geocaching.com/TMNT from September 3-10, 2019."  and  "Trackables will also be available at select geocaching events held in twelve cities around the world."

Those "selected" events listed were in Germany, Argentina,  United Kingdom,  Spain,  Mexico,  Italy,  France,  Brazil, and 4 in USA,.

Canada isn't mentioned for events, but I don't see how you'd know Canadians aren't covered by "anyone",  who probably simply received them in the mail.    :)

• Helpful 1
On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:21 AM, cerberus1 said:

By the news page, it said, " anyone can register to receive a Turtles trackable at geocaching.com/TMNT from September 3-10, 2019."  and  "Trackables will also be available at select geocaching events held in twelve cities around the world."

Those "selected" events listed were in Germany, Argentina,  United Kingdom,  Spain,  Mexico,  Italy,  France,  Brazil, and 4 in USA,.

Canada isn't mentioned for events, but I don't see how you'd know Canadians aren't covered by "anyone",  who probably simply received them in the mail.    :)

I just now counted nine turtle icons in Canada!

• Helpful 1
9 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

I have yet to see one of the TMNT trackables in play - maybe with a new release I will come across one?

Yeah...   The one we received is supposedly still sitting in the first cache placed.   The same with a Smokey Bear. 

Both pretty-far out, but may check someday...  We haven't spotted one in a cache yet either.

On 9/30/2019 at 10:48 AM, driveby said:

No email so i guess i wasn't chosen.  I have yet to place my smokey trackable because i want to put it on a smokey the bear figure that i have yet to secure.  I might have screwed myself out of this one because of that.  I figured that since it was such an icon trackable, it should have something of equal value to send it off with.  Hopefully once i get it out there, i will be taken off the black list.  is there a map for the Smokey trackable like the TMNT map?

Not necessarily..... I had not recieved an email but just found a TMNT trackable in my mail today..... gonna have to find a place to put it out soon :)

1 hour ago, AuroraWolf said:

Question..... I know people put out "proxies" of the trackables they purchase just in case it goes missing so they can replace it easily..... can we do this with the TMNT trackables as well???? just curious as I would like to know if we can avoid having them disappear forever

That would violate the terms you agreed to. When I asked for the TMNT trackable I agreed to release the trackable not the trackable number.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1