How to adopt/take over a cache?

DBBOND007

I am fairly new to the caching world and would like to know how to take over someones cache. The reason i ask is there is a cache very close to my house but the cache owner has not been active for over two years. I would love to put a TB hotel on my property but im within 528' of this cache. Any advice would be great. 

2 minutes ago, DBBOND007 said:

I am fairly new to the caching world and would like to know how to take over someones cache. The reason i ask is there is a cache very close to my house but the cache owner has not been active for over two years. I would love to put a TB hotel on my property but im within 528' of this cache. Any advice would be great. 

For reference, see the Help Center article Adopt or transfer a geocache.

But the short version is that adoption is something the cache owner has to initiate. It isn't something that anyone else can initiate when the cache owner is no longer active.

5 minutes ago, DBBOND007 said:

I am fairly new to the caching world and would like to know how to take over someones cache.

The reason i ask is there is a cache very close to my house but the cache owner has not been active for over two years.

I would love to put a TB hotel on my property but im within 528' of this cache.

Any advice would be great. 

Is the cache still active ?  With a phone, one never has to log into the site .  :)

- But It seems (to me) you have no plan to "take over" a cache, but simply get rid of so you can put yours elsewhere.

Adoptions must be done by the cache owner.  Caches belong to the COs, so the site needs that CO to start the process.  ;)

2 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Is the cache still active ?  With a phone, one never has to log into the site .  :)

- But It seems (to me) you have no plan to "take over" a cache, but simply get rid of so you can put yours elsewhere.

Adoptions must be done by the cache owner.  Caches belong to the COs, so the site needs that CO to start the process.  ;)

Yes the cache is active but in very poor shape. I just think th CO doesn't cache anymore as he/she has another cache that has gone missing and is now disabled by a reviewer. You are right, I don't want the cache, i want the area. :)  

• Helpful 3
14 minutes ago, DBBOND007 said:

Yes the cache is active but in very poor shape. I just think th CO doesn't cache anymore as he/she has another cache that has gone missing and is now disabled by a reviewer. You are right, I don't want the cache, i want the area. :)  

If there are NMs on it, eventually someone will place an NA.  That gets the Reviewer to notice.

If that cache ever gets archived, your spot is now open.   Good luck.

• Helpful 1