The top ten geocaches added to Lists

Max and 99

I've been to four of them: the Original Stash Plaque (milestone #5000), GC12, HQ, and the Lego one in Berlin.

One thing they didn't mention in the article is that the Lego one has the most FPs of any cache in the world. As of this post, it has 11013 points! I just had to find that one when I was in Berlin last year. It took me 15-20 minutes of searching in between passing muggles.

I'm not surprised by the caches that are in the top 10. They're mostly really old caches with a few other high-profile ones added in.

I'm curious how many lists Mission 9 is on. It's on 603 public lists, but it could be on a bunch more private lists.

3 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I feel bad for those who travel so far to find one of those caches and it's gone. So disappointing!

Yeah, that wouldn't be fun. I remember when Mission 9 was first archived, there were a lot of people that had made vacation plans based primarily around finding that cache, only to have it suddenly be archived with no warning.

2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Wow, this list made me wish I could travel whenever and wherever I wanted to. I haven't found any of the ones mentioned,  but I'd love to find the ones in the northwest U.S.A. One of them is only one state away from me, so maybe soon I'll get to go find it.

The Top ten geocaches added to Lists

Wow, just took a look and I have been to all but one (The Spot), although I will get to that one day.

Funny that all of those "popular" caches are good caches (well, Mingo is decidedly average, to be fair), they are by far and away not the best caches I have visited.

1 hour ago, funkymunkyzone said:

Wow, just took a look and I have been to all but one (The Spot), although I will get to that one day.

Funny that all of those "popular" caches are good caches (well, Mingo is decidedly average, to be fair), they are by far and away not the best caches I have visited.

This is truly impressive.  I've only been to six, but at least "The Spot" is one of them.

"The Spot," along with GCD, are among the best caches I've visited, although neither is in my Top 10.  Each was a good hike ending with a great view.

• Upvote 1

Australian caches are very unlikely to make the list, as we don't have the population to give a cache enough numbers to add to a list. Even if some of the best caches occurred here, they would not make the top of the list. Lists like this are skewed towards large populations.

I have never added a cache to a list. I find percentages of favourites the best way to judge a cache.

33 minutes ago, The Leprechauns said:

"The Spot," along with GCD, are among the best caches I've visited, although neither is in my Top 10.  Each was a good hike ending with a great view.

I definitely agree with that (my bold), and same goes for GC17, which I assume is right up there but didn't quite make the list.  I look forward to The Spot!

39 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:

I definitely agree with that (my bold), and same goes for GC17, which I assume is right up there but didn't quite make the list.  I look forward to The Spot!

The view at GC17 beats out GC12 in my opinion. Glad I got 3, I'm still kicking myself to have missed Mingo was too new to caching to know about it when we road tripped right by it.

14 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Wow, this list made me wish I could travel whenever and wherever I wanted to. I haven't found any of the ones mentioned,  but I'd love to find the ones in the northwest U.S.A. One of them is only one state away from me, so maybe soon I'll get to go find it.

I've been to the old one in Ireland, which was nice as it's located in a very nice area with pretty coastal views. Also been to the one in Belgium, GC40. That's not worth a long trip unless one really doesn't have an option of getting this month otherwise. It's an industrial forest, no undergrowth, nothing interesting to see. Having said that, the whole area around is marvellous!

14 hours ago, colleda said:

I've been past HQ in a bus. Does that count?:rolleyes:

If it does, I'll claim it too as we were in Seattle in 1995. We would have logged it if it would have been there and we're from far away and won't be back so we claim a find. :ph34r:

51 minutes ago, terratin said:

Also been to the one in Belgium, GC40. That's not worth a long trip unless one really doesn't have an option of getting this month otherwise. It's an industrial forest, no undergrowth, nothing interesting to see. Having said that, the whole area around is marvellous!

Yeah, we just parked across the road from GC40 and I quickly went to log, take a few pictures and we continued our drive to Luxembourg. It not for the placed date it would be on our ignore list. It was a 45 minute detour and outside our "daytrip range" so it was worth it.

We might do a citytrip to Dublin for a few days and go for GC43 (renting a car to tour the area). It's not too far and ticketprices for the flight should be reasonable.

We missed (now archived) GC6A in Denmark when we drove all over the country in 2013 as we didn't check placed dates. :huh:

We also missed the November 2000 caches near Dunedin, NZ as the drive took longer than anticipated and there was no time left to go after at least one of them.

• Funny 2

We recently returned from finding our fourth cache on that list. We made the hike from Bray to Greystones on my birthday and logged GC43 along the way. It is a great walk along the cliffside above the sea with the train below us even closer to the water (we took the train back.) We were fortunate to have outstanding weather which made the day even better!

IMG_9304.jpg

IMG_9333.jpg

• Helpful 1

I'd like to find "The Spot", which is the closest May 2000 cache to me at around 5 hours away.  If I were to go for "The Spot", I'd probably head a little west to GC184 which is the closest September 2000 cache to me.  I'm not a Jasmer chaser, but one day I may be and I should try to find the oldies before it's too late.  I could probably find both with one overnight stay, and while I'm at it find the Eternal Flame earth cache that's between those two.

12 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:

Yeah I wouldn't call them "popular", but rather "interesting". They may be popular, they may quality, or they may not - but I think being added to a List means these are the caches that have the most inherent reason to be connected to some other arbitrary context worldwide. :)

11 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

I guess they made that post because of the new version of the lists they are rolling out.

heh, I'm 99.9% confident that this is the case :)

I'm at 7/10, only because 3 countries I haven't been to (yet).  And I thought all of them so far were worthwhile!

19 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I've found 9 of the 10 on the list. Berlin is the one I'd be missing.

16 hours ago, MNTA said:

The view at GC17 beats out GC12 in my opinion.

Absolutely. GC12 is basically just a bucket in the woods off the end of an old logging road. GC17 is an ammo can up on top of the ridge, and I was lucky enough to make the hike up there when lots of the late-spring flowers were out. It was also a clear day with perfect views out to Mount Hood. Potters Pond (GC3B) was probably my most memorable cache find, but GC17 follows closely behind both for the location and the addition of assault rifles to the experience. That was definitely a first for this Canadian.

On 9/25/2019 at 3:30 PM, on4bam said:

Yeah, we just parked across the road from GC40 and I quickly went to log, take a few pictures and we continued our drive to Luxembourg. It not for the placed date it would be on our ignore list. It was a 45 minute detour and outside our "daytrip range" so it was worth it.

We might do a citytrip to Dublin for a few days and go for GC43 (renting a car to tour the area). It's not too far and ticketprices for the flight should be reasonable.

We missed (now archived) GC6A in Denmark when we drove all over the country in 2013 as we didn't check placed dates. :huh:

We also missed the November 2000 caches near Dunedin, NZ as the drive took longer than anticipated and there was no time left to go after at least one of them.

Oh, Kippers was archived at one point in the past, right? Now it is available, but I think there was a huge wave of unarchivals on old Danish caches a long while ago.

For Dublin: I took a train and then walked to GC43, scrambled up the cliff for a Wherigo and basically did my utmost best to get 10 icons in a day. I was wrecked afterwards and was close to calling a taxi to drive me the final 1km back to the station :lol:, but it was so worth it.

Gc40 was indeed odd. I parked there, went into the forest, went too far into it, went nearly back to the road, logged and then stood around for a moment wondering what to do. There just wasn't more to do there :antenna: But this trip through Belgium was probably my best caching trip in a long time: fantastic caches, The Landscape!, and good food. I think I annoyed the heck out of my friends by telling them to go and visit Belgium. :wub:

I think I missed a lot of old caches when I was in Houston quite a few years ago. I accidentally picked up an old one, but I didn't plan for it. Hope I can get to Seattle and surrounding areas next year. Last year I was stuck on Seattle airport for 7 hours during a delayed stopover, and could not leave the terminal :sunsure:

On 9/27/2019 at 6:03 PM, terratin said:

Gc40 was indeed odd. I parked there, went into the forest, went too far into it, went nearly back to the road, logged and then stood around for a moment wondering what to do. There just wasn't more to do there :antenna:

I was a little surprised that there are no other caches in the vicinity.  I made it part of an overnight trip - also got a few caches in the long string of caches along the French/Belgian border, a German cache or two, a series of French letterboxes, and a virtual in Luxembourg.  Not a bad weekend at all.  :grin:

On 9/27/2019 at 7:03 PM, terratin said:

Oh, Kippers was archived at one point in the past, right? Now it is available, but I think there was a huge wave of unarchivals on old Danish caches a long while ago.

Yup, Kippers (GC6A) apparently went missing for 5 years and was archived between 2002-2006. Current cache is still going strong but may be a throwdown. on4bam may mean another oldie GC103 which was recently archived.

On 9/30/2019 at 12:35 PM, hzoi said:

I was a little surprised that there are no other caches in the vicinity.  I made it part of an overnight trip - also got a few caches in the long string of caches along the French/Belgian border, a German cache or two, a series of French letterboxes, and a virtual in Luxembourg.  Not a bad weekend at all.  :grin:

Did you ever manage to find this cache before it was archived: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC22FB4_moria-the-return

It wasn't so far from GC40 and absolutely worth a few hours :)

On 9/30/2019 at 4:49 PM, papu66 said:

Yup, Kippers (GC6A) apparently went missing for 5 years and was archived between 2002-2006. Current cache is still going strong but may be a throwdown. on4bam may mean another oldie GC103 which was recently archived.

Oh no! Not High Tension! Kippers was ok but indeed not a big container when I was there many years ago. But High Tension had some old logbooks inside and was really cool to find.

4 hours ago, terratin said:

I only had a brief look but it seems like the land manager wasn't happy with the cache anymore.

It was because of the environment (biodiversity) and, probably the most important reason,  the place(s) to go underground is/are not safe.

Archival was done at the request of the forest ranger..

23 hours ago, terratin said:
On 9/30/2019 at 12:35 PM, hzoi said:

Did you ever manage to find this cache before it was archived: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC22FB4_moria-the-return

It wasn't so far from GC40 and absolutely worth a few hours :)

No, I missed that one.

It sounds like it might have been as enjoyable as Fort Apokalypse (Mandatory Suicide).