Sign in to follow this  
Followers 26
Geocaching HQ

Release Notes (Website: Progressive release, Lists) - September 23, 2019

8 minutes ago, 2Abendsegler said:

- There is no small icon for caches with a draft log.

Actually there is one. I tested it. Check your additional browser scripts!

Test before rant. :P

18 minutes ago, 2Abendsegler said:

- The sort order on List Hub isn't persistent for exapmle the columns Favorites, Difficulty, Placed on and others.

I have edited the release notes to reduce confusion. The List Hub (https://www.geocaching.com/plan/lists) now persists sort order. The columns Favorites, Difficulty, Placed are on List Details pages (https://www.geocaching.com/plan/lists/BM....) and have not been updated to persist sort order at this time. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, 2Abendsegler said:

The sort order on List Hub isn't persistent for exapmle the columns Favorites, Difficulty, Placed on and others.

The List hub (i.e.: the list of lists) does not have those columns. Seems you're meant the lists itself. And yes: the lists' sort order is not sticky. But the List Hub's sort order is.

Hans

Edited by HHL
Cross posted with Oceansazul

31 minutes ago, 2Abendsegler said:

No scripts.

Really? Maybe there are snippets still remaining from the former use of GClh?

When I edit a <previously edited> cache name or description in a list, the original revisions often disappear in the edit box. The edits to the title are always gone, and the description sometimes is, sometimes isn't. See screenshot.

Previous list setup retained edits; you could edit over and over. New iteration is super frustrating, as I want to keep what I'd already added, just enhance it with more info (or whatever). Argh!!

Is this a bug or what? Please, please make edits to list items sticky!  [If it matters, I'm using Safari 13 on an iMac.]

Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 9.17.43 PM.png

Edited by hydnsek
  • Helpful 1

@Oceansazul
The reason for missing draft labelling could be a markdown link in my drafts. Can you please verify this?

• Helpful 1

Another bug: When you click the map icon for a bookmark list, the resulting map doesn't always show all the caches in the list. Argh. If you view a pocket query map of the same list, all the caches do appear AND they have more helpful icons. Compare screenshots: List map and PQ map for the same bookmark list.

1190263307_ScreenShot2019-11-09at7_26_48PM.png.10f5d727234777820fd372a350fbe86a.png

1773048716_ScreenShot2019-11-09at7_26_12PM.png.354a88a46994596fb870ca93a09aa62a.png

Another map bug I've discovered, altho not list-related:  If I go to the map view from an individual cache page, sometimes that cache doesn't appear on the map!  I have to switch to Browse caches to see it. Srsly.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

11 hours ago, hydnsek said:

... AND they have more helpful icons. ...

I totally agree with you. And it is very sad, and as in the Stone Age, that we can not decide for ourselves what map we want to use. And it would be easy a general switch in the settings, or even better, the button in the actual map to the other map should bring exactly that to day what was there before and not all caches or something else. It is really very sad.

• Love 2

On 11/10/2019 at 4:42 AM, hydnsek said:

List map and PQ map for the same bookmark list.

Right, but using different zoom levels. :rolleyes: Zoom in your BM list map and you'll get the same icons as on the PQ map.

Hans

Edited by HHL

5 hours ago, 2Abendsegler said:

I totally agree with you. [..]

Interesting. Hydnsek's assumptions on map icons are totally wrong. Your criticism renders more and more to somewhat boring.

Hans

2 hours ago, HHL said:

Right, but using different zoom levels. :rolleyes: Zoom in your BM list map and you'll get the same icons as on the PQ map. Think before rant!

Hans

They look the same zoom to me.  And there are icons missing on the first map that show on the second (one out by Long Beach, two above Yakima, a couple around Olympia, one above Wenatchee and one by Lewiston - those are just the ones I spotted on a quick scan).

• Upvote 3

No idea why but when I try to add GC7JQCD to a list it finds it but it won't add it.

Same with: GC5B4CB

Screenshot_20191112_134725.png.6d17bf9eb1bb6706c9bb74407924ec47.pngScreenshot_20191112_134734.png.72cc4dd3c1b0571e442e8aadac6f0a04.pngScreenshot_20191112_134813.png.8ecd17d6f8a98a2285548c7bc6f54917.pngScreenshot_20191112_134831.png.9846d7a6c9e5fabd786e5b3bf9150512.png

Edited by ardila.nl
found another example

While I haven't played around with the new lists very much, I do appreciate the fact that the whole system is being worked on.

My #1 pet peeve about lists is why are we arbitrarily limited to having only 100 lists? 

I can imagine that some people are going -- why would you ever need that many lists?

Well old challenges needed bookmark lists, geo-arts work better in bookmark lists, cache machines, solved puzzles, travel caches, 

challenge trails, geotrails, trips from point A to point B, caches needed for Fizzy or Jasmer. Offline caches for treks and travel.

One easily comes up with 100 lists -- I regularly am hitting that total. 

Yes, one can now merge lists - but the last time I tried it actually didn't get *all* the caches. It always missed 1 (Classic off by one error somewhere in the code).

#2 - I understand that all these features and displays are being first developed for the phone screen. So the lots of white space is being used. However,

the usage of different formatting for different displays is really needed. If I'm on a high resolution screen with lots of space, I really want to be able

to see more than 3 caches. This might be being addressed - so thank you if it is.

• Upvote 2

On 11/10/2019 at 12:53 PM, HHL said:

Right, but using different zoom levels. :rolleyes: Zoom in your BM list map and you'll get the same icons as on the PQ map.

Hans

Notice how the map and features are the same size in both images? Right, same zoom level. I have to zoom waaay in on the List version of the map to get icons (the usual 1 mi level), whereas the icons show at any zoom level on the PQ map.  ;)

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, ardila.nl said:

No idea why but when I try to add GC7JQCD to a list it finds it but it won't add it.

I could not add the first geocache to my list, but I was successful with the second one.

Edit: the above was tried from the features on my list. I can add the cache to the list from the cache page, as always. 

Edited by Max and 99

20 hours ago, ardila.nl said:

Screenshot_20191112_134725.png.6d17bf9eb1bb6706c9bb74407924ec47.pngScreenshot_20191112_134734.png.72cc4dd3c1b0571e442e8aadac6f0a04.pngScreenshot_20191112_134813.png.8ecd17d6f8a98a2285548c7bc6f54917.pngScreenshot_20191112_134831.png.9846d7a6c9e5fabd786e5b3bf9150512.png

Maybe somehow related to the image in the cache title?

@ardila.nl

Following up on what terratin noticed,

I wonder if this is browser dependent?  On Windows machine running Firefox 70.0 I was able to bookmark both caches.

One cache  title has an image, and other title has space then " marks.

I can add both caches with the new My List functionality under Windows 10 Home with Firefox (70.0.1 64-Bit) and with Chrome (78.0.3904.97 64-Bit). No problem.

5 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

@ardila.nl

Following up on what terratin noticed,

I wonder if this is browser dependent?  On Windows machine running Firefox 70.0 I was able to bookmark both caches.

One cache  title has an image, and other title has space then " marks.

I tried again at home on my Windows PC and it works there.

I had the issue at work on my Linux PC

Both using the latest version of Firefox (70.0.1 (64-bit) for Windows, not sure about the exact version on Linux at the moment)

View a friend's list, I'm seeing the mini-Note icon attached to some cache type icons, but I have no notes or logs on said caches. The Found It mini-icon is showing correctly, but not the mini-Note icon.

On 10/29/2019 at 8:49 PM, Geocaching HQ said:

Today, we released several fixes and feature requests based on feedback. These include:

• Ability to print Lists
  • Hover text on tabs now includes List names
  • Styling fixes to the "Back to Top" button, Edit cache popover, and disabled states of icons

Some observations when using Chrome (and using A4 paper in Europe, may be different for other browsers and paper formats)...

• Printing is broken where a page crosses from one sheet of paper to the next; I have found that the top half of a character will print on the first sheet, the bottom half on the second. Not very legible in the field.
  • When printing. personal list information gets cut off the right-hand side of the sheet and does NOT wrap around to the next line. For example. this weekend I had written myself a note about parking and found that I was presented with:

"Parking N<xx xx.xxx Wxxx xx.xxx> on-street residential end of

have to although would need to reverse out"

and had was left with no idea what information was missing.

• Printing now consumes vastly more paper than it used to. I recently went on a long caching expedition with nearly 600 caches on the list (just escaped the new system - phew!) and when printed on the old system, it consumed 85 sheets of paper. Out of interest I previewed how many sheets the new system would need, and was told it would be 156 !!

Aside from the ongoing printing issues:

• Like others I am still waiting for the option of viewing 1000 caches without having to hack the URL
  • When viewing lists on a mobile device, any and all information that I have typed under each cache is completely absent - all I get is a simple list of the caches. Given that I use this information for parking co-ordinates, distance to GZ and what I might expect to find at the parking co-ordinates (see earlier point) you have effectively rendered lists useless to me now as a planning tool.

In the past, lists were my go-to option and the first step when planning a trip was to create a list which would serve as my guidance document in the field. This is now almost impossible as you have taken away almost all important functionality.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Perhaps there should be a "View desktop version" link so even on a mobile device the entire content of the list items are presented, as they used to be, so the user can decide to zoom in on the page, instead of assuming everything should be restricted to large print for small screens which leaves no realestate for more content.

ETA: Which would also be a big benefit for, well, desktop users. =P

Edited by thebruce0
  • Helpful 2