Release Notes (Website: Progressive release, Lists) - September 23, 2019

When I edit a <previously edited> cache name or description in a list, the original revisions often disappear in the edit box. The edits to the title are always gone, and the description sometimes is, sometimes isn't. See screenshot.

Previous list setup retained edits; you could edit over and over. New iteration is super frustrating, as I want to keep what I'd already added, just enhance it with more info (or whatever). Argh!!

Is this a bug or what? Please, please make edits to list items sticky!  [If it matters, I'm using Safari 13 on an iMac.]

Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 9.17.43 PM.png

Edited by hydnsek
  • Helpful 1

Another bug: When you click the map icon for a bookmark list, the resulting map doesn't always show all the caches in the list. Argh. If you view a pocket query map of the same list, all the caches do appear AND they have more helpful icons. Compare screenshots: List map and PQ map for the same bookmark list.

1190263307_ScreenShot2019-11-09at7_26_48PM.png.10f5d727234777820fd372a350fbe86a.png

1773048716_ScreenShot2019-11-09at7_26_12PM.png.354a88a46994596fb870ca93a09aa62a.png

Another map bug I've discovered, altho not list-related:  If I go to the map view from an individual cache page, sometimes that cache doesn't appear on the map!  I have to switch to Browse caches to see it. Srsly.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
11 hours ago, hydnsek said:

... AND they have more helpful icons. ...

I totally agree with you. And it is very sad, and as in the Stone Age, that we can not decide for ourselves what map we want to use. And it would be easy a general switch in the settings, or even better, the button in the actual map to the other map should bring exactly that to day what was there before and not all caches or something else. It is really very sad.

• Love 2
On 11/10/2019 at 4:42 AM, hydnsek said:

List map and PQ map for the same bookmark list.

Right, but using different zoom levels. :rolleyes: Zoom in your BM list map and you'll get the same icons as on the PQ map.

Hans

Edited by HHL
2 hours ago, HHL said:

Right, but using different zoom levels. :rolleyes: Zoom in your BM list map and you'll get the same icons as on the PQ map. Think before rant!

Hans

They look the same zoom to me.  And there are icons missing on the first map that show on the second (one out by Long Beach, two above Yakima, a couple around Olympia, one above Wenatchee and one by Lewiston - those are just the ones I spotted on a quick scan).

• Upvote 3

While I haven't played around with the new lists very much, I do appreciate the fact that the whole system is being worked on.

My #1 pet peeve about lists is why are we arbitrarily limited to having only 100 lists? 

I can imagine that some people are going -- why would you ever need that many lists?

Well old challenges needed bookmark lists, geo-arts work better in bookmark lists, cache machines, solved puzzles, travel caches, 

challenge trails, geotrails, trips from point A to point B, caches needed for Fizzy or Jasmer. Offline caches for treks and travel.

One easily comes up with 100 lists -- I regularly am hitting that total. 

Yes, one can now merge lists - but the last time I tried it actually didn't get *all* the caches. It always missed 1 (Classic off by one error somewhere in the code).

#2 - I understand that all these features and displays are being first developed for the phone screen. So the lots of white space is being used. However,

the usage of different formatting for different displays is really needed. If I'm on a high resolution screen with lots of space, I really want to be able

to see more than 3 caches. This might be being addressed - so thank you if it is.

• Upvote 2
On 11/10/2019 at 12:53 PM, HHL said:

Right, but using different zoom levels. :rolleyes: Zoom in your BM list map and you'll get the same icons as on the PQ map.

Hans

Notice how the map and features are the same size in both images? Right, same zoom level. I have to zoom waaay in on the List version of the map to get icons (the usual 1 mi level), whereas the icons show at any zoom level on the PQ map.  ;)

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, ardila.nl said:

No idea why but when I try to add GC7JQCD to a list it finds it but it won't add it.

Same with: GC5B4CB

I could not add the first geocache to my list, but I was successful with the second one.

Edit: the above was tried from the features on my list. I can add the cache to the list from the cache page, as always. 

Edited by Max and 99
5 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

@ardila.nl

Following up on what terratin noticed,

I wonder if this is browser dependent?  On Windows machine running Firefox 70.0 I was able to bookmark both caches.

One cache  title has an image, and other title has space then " marks.

I tried again at home on my Windows PC and it works there.

I had the issue at work on my Linux PC

Both using the latest version of Firefox (70.0.1 (64-bit) for Windows, not sure about the exact version on Linux at the moment)

On 10/29/2019 at 8:49 PM, Geocaching HQ said:

Today, we released several fixes and feature requests based on feedback. These include:

• Ability to print Lists
  • Hover text on tabs now includes List names
  • Styling fixes to the "Back to Top" button, Edit cache popover, and disabled states of icons

Some observations when using Chrome (and using A4 paper in Europe, may be different for other browsers and paper formats)...

• Printing is broken where a page crosses from one sheet of paper to the next; I have found that the top half of a character will print on the first sheet, the bottom half on the second. Not very legible in the field.
  • When printing. personal list information gets cut off the right-hand side of the sheet and does NOT wrap around to the next line. For example. this weekend I had written myself a note about parking and found that I was presented with:

"Parking N<xx xx.xxx Wxxx xx.xxx> on-street residential end of

have to although would need to reverse out"

and had was left with no idea what information was missing.

• Printing now consumes vastly more paper than it used to. I recently went on a long caching expedition with nearly 600 caches on the list (just escaped the new system - phew!) and when printed on the old system, it consumed 85 sheets of paper. Out of interest I previewed how many sheets the new system would need, and was told it would be 156 !!

Aside from the ongoing printing issues:

• Like others I am still waiting for the option of viewing 1000 caches without having to hack the URL
  • When viewing lists on a mobile device, any and all information that I have typed under each cache is completely absent - all I get is a simple list of the caches. Given that I use this information for parking co-ordinates, distance to GZ and what I might expect to find at the parking co-ordinates (see earlier point) you have effectively rendered lists useless to me now as a planning tool.

In the past, lists were my go-to option and the first step when planning a trip was to create a list which would serve as my guidance document in the field. This is now almost impossible as you have taken away almost all important functionality.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Perhaps there should be a "View desktop version" link so even on a mobile device the entire content of the list items are presented, as they used to be, so the user can decide to zoom in on the page, instead of assuming everything should be restricted to large print for small screens which leaves no realestate for more content.

ETA: Which would also be a big benefit for, well, desktop users. =P

Edited by thebruce0
  • Helpful 3

Windows Firefox 70.0

Two notes lists handling of archived caches:

• A list which includes archived, the mapping & left info bar no longer display  the archived (the tri-fold map icon) 
  • The Add cache module won't accept archived?  The + in green  circle  is the Module I'm referring to, on a list page. You can bookmark archived from the cache page, but not from the list page, unless I'm missing something?

PQ map preview of a bookmark list shows archived caches 

I think there's an issue with their basic new cache lookup/search widget that (generally speaking rightfully) doesn't include Archived caches. But for contexts where archived caches are relevant they should have a backend option to also match archived caches.  Or, instead of providing a search widget to locate a cache (causing a much heavier search through archived listings), leave that search as is without achiveds, but allow direct input of a GC code that either works or doesn't for its intent.

There's an inconsistency with old implementations of some web functions that included archived caches, and new implementations where they're being left out (like viewing the cache on a map from its listing if it's archived); and to me it seems like it's all hinging on functions that make use of a form of cache 'search' which ignores archiveds.

If that makes sense = P

On 11/19/2019 at 3:49 PM, thebruce0 said:

Perhaps there should be a "View desktop version" link so even on a mobile device the entire content of the list items are presented, as they used to be, so the user can decide to zoom in on the page, instead of assuming everything should be restricted to large print for small screens which leaves no realestate for more content.

ETA: Which would also be a big benefit for, well, desktop users. =P

I'm not a fan of the new lists, but this should be something everyone could easily do by themselves ;) All of my browser have an option to show the page in desktop mode. Have you tried that? In theory it should right away solve your issue.

On 11/6/2019 at 3:49 PM, dprovan said:

Too bad the add operation clears the check marks, since otherwise I could at least to bulk move by doing a bulk add followed by bulk delete of the same entries.

I had to work with some lists again, and I discovered that this has, apparently, quietly changed: now after adding caches to another list, the caches remain checked, so after I add caches in this list to another list, I can immediately delete them from this list without reselecting them all, hence accomplishing a move, but with two steps -- add, then delete -- and still without the comments attached to each list item being kept when the entries are moved.

4 hours ago, monsterbox said:

I'm not a fan of the new lists, but this should be something everyone could easily do by themselves ;) All of my browser have an option to show the page in desktop mode. Have you tried that? In theory it should right away solve your issue.

It should, if there were a version to view that was like that. How the switch is implemented though is up to the developers - the bigger issue right now is having a desktop version as an option.  (and typically if there is both a mobile and a desktop version, there is a link to force one view or the other, or return to auto-sensing; and sensing the browser is finnicky - it's better to either provide two versions optimized for mobile and desktop, or make the page highly dynamic so it adjusts for whatever browser size is being used)

It's no small task.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but one thing that keeps hitting me as I use the "delete" function is that the opposite of "add" is "remove", not "delete". Just now while I was moving some items, a pop up asked me to confirm that I really wanted to delete N caches. What?! NO! I do not want to delete N caches! Oh! You meant remove those N caches from this list. Well, then, yes, OK.

"Delete" is just wrong. Technically "delete from list" instead of just "delete" would at least make sense, but I think "remove" is more accurate and less likely to be confusing, and "remove from list" would be even better.

• Helpful 2
  • Love 1

I like a lot with the new list experience. Much better than the old layout. But I discovered a problem today. I can't add archived caches to a list. That is a big issue for me, since there are many archived and deactivated caches that are still out there. Will this be resolved? I tried with this one: GC2MA8H, and the list tool never found it. 

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, akh76 said:

I like a lot with the new list experience. Much better than the old layout. But I discovered a problem today. I can't add archived caches to a list. That is a big issue for me, since there are many archived and deactivated caches that are still out there. Will this be resolved? I tried with this one: GC2MA8H, and the list tool never found it. 

I am curious about your intentions with these caches:rolleyes: but I solved your problem anyway. When you open the archived cache page you can add it to your list from the page. I tried with your example and have no problems this way.

@arisoft I discovered the lack of archived handling in both the + module (add geocache) and the mapping of the list when trip planning for a challenge.   Both issues have workarounds,  bookmark from listing, map from PQ preview,  but it would be pleasant if added list functions doesn't have to mean lost list functions.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, arisoft said:

I am curious about your intentions with these caches:rolleyes: but I solved your problem anyway. When you open the archived cache page you can add it to your list from the page. I tried with your example and have no problems this way.

My intensions are to find them. ;) For instance I found an archived cache today. (the one I used as an example). Not all archived caches are removed, so it is a bit fun to search for those that still might be around. Nice to know that they are able to be added that way, so thanks for the info.

Oh, and another thing (actually two more problems; the first is made worse by the second)...

Multiple edits of one list entry text box is now unnecessarily laborious and time-consuming.  Before the changes, re-editing the information I had typed in to the box was a simple matter of a one-click process to re-open the editing box... where all the information I might have added a few seconds before would be correctly displayed. Now to RE-edit an entry, clinking more than once on the pencil icon effectively ignores anything I've just added and everything I've just typed is missing. The whole page must be refreshed, to be able to add to previous edits. Incidentally, this is happening more than before (I'm having to do more re-edits to correct errors) because the edit box itself is so tiny and so user unfriendly.

Refreshing the page doesn't take you to exactly the point on the page that you were previously viewing (as it did before and as it does elsewhere on the site, still). Having refreshed, I'm dumped back at the top of the list. I then need to laboriously find the place I was at, which, in a list of several hundred items, isn't instantaneous. Even Ctrl + F doesn't always help as, any hacking of the URL that I'd been forced to do to look at the second half of the page is now lost and I have to hack again, if what I want to find is on the second page. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 11/6/2019 at 4:02 PM, dprovan said:

Oh, except that wouldn't actually be a move, since the add operation only adds the caches, it doesn't copy the "description". I was very surprised by that: I've been assuming all along that "add" or "move" would add or move the list entry as a whole, not merely add the geocache to the new list without copying the description from the original list to the target list.

Now that I've really used the new lists, the mechanism to take entries from one list and put them in another list is my biggest disappointment because it only adds the caches themselves to the other list without copying the misnamed "gerocache description" along with it. One thing that's always been a pain is splitting one list into two, i.e., take some of the entries in one list -- name, pointer, and description -- and put them in another list. (For splitting the list, obviously a move would be better than the duplication performed by the current "add" function, but that's another topic.) I was hoping the bulk operation in the new list handling would make splitting lists a breeze, but it's actually harder now than it used to be...although it was never easy.

• Helpful 1

I do not know if it has already been named. In the three new lists are inconsistencies regarding the premium status of a cache. In the Favorites list the premium status is always displayed, even with archived or deactivated caches. In the bookmark lists and in the ignore list the premium status is suppressed, if the cache is archived or deactivated.
Can you please display the premium status in all lists? Thank you.

• Upvote 1
On 10/23/2019 at 5:36 PM, monsterbox said:

Sorry, but that's a pretty bad advice. It cost additional money to use that extra website and we're talking about the new functionality on the official website. I don't care at all if some random website somewhere in the world might offer some nice feature ;-) As the new page anyways has got new features, these would roughly be the only ones I might wait for, too.

So sorry that I simply offered you an immediate solution to your problem......
You can choose to do it or not, I was merely letting you know it exists. Personally, I feel like the extra money is totally worth it, especially since project-gc actually listens to its users regarding updates and new features, unlike geocaching.com which unlikely to ever listen to what you want. 

• Upvote 1

I do not know if it has already been named. To share my favorites, I click on the button of the favorites page and get a link. But this link does not work. I mean, I know, you come to the favorites via the profile, that is not the point. The point is, the share button does not work.
Can you please solve the problem. Thank you.

229094074_sharefavoriteslist.JPG.422a6bd476dfbd5ba26a98699107b209.JPG

415618326_sharefavoriteslist2.JPG.77830e9f9aa6fc4488a1f5dd59f44211.JPG

• Helpful 1

Based on your feedback, we have now released a highly requested new feature for the Lists:

• On List Detail pages, you can now ‘Filter & Select’ geocaches on the List based on the geocache status of Found, Archived, or Disabled
  • On your own Lists, when you Filter & Select on one of these statuses, you can Delete this filtered selection from the List or Add this filtered selection to a different List
  • When viewing another user’s Public or Shared List, you can ‘Filter & Select’ on the geocache status of Found, Archived, or Disabled
  • When viewing another user’s Public or Shared List, when you Filter & Select on one of these statuses, you can add this filtered selection to a different List of your own

Filter.png

We also released several additional features and bug fixes based on feedback:

• Ctrl + click will open a link in a new tab
  • Select a range of checkboxes using shift key. To use this, select the box for one geocache in your List, hold down the Shift key and select a box for another geocache, down your List. This action will select that geocache, and all of the geocaches in between.
  • On a List Details view, after selecting a sub-set of geocaches, and adding them to another List, your selected geocaches will remain checked. This way you could easily delete them from the List.
  • Sort by Status is fixed
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 2
On 11/23/2019 at 2:00 AM, akh76 said:

If you type or paste the GCCode into the "Add geocache to List" modal, the search will not auto-return the geocache. However, if you enter the GCCode, and select the Enter key on your keyboard, this will add the Archived cache to your List. We are investigating a better way to handle this but, this is a workaround on the List Details page currently, to add an Archived cache to a List by GCCode. 

• Helpful 1
50 minutes ago, Oceansazul said:

Based on your feedback, we have now released a highly requested new feature for the Lists:

Some good stuff there, but any chance of being able to sort "My Lists" by number of caches on the list rather than as well as number found?

Edited by MartyBartfast
  • Upvote 1
On 12/6/2019 at 8:36 PM, Oceansazul said:

• On List Detail pages, you can now ‘Filter & Select’ geocaches on the List based on the geocache status of Found, Archived, or Disabled
  • On your own Lists, when you Filter & Select on one of these statuses, you can Delete this filtered selection from the List or Add this filtered selection to a different List
  • When viewing another user’s Public or Shared List, you can ‘Filter & Select’ on the geocache status of Found, Archived, or Disabled
  • When viewing another user’s Public or Shared List, when you Filter & Select on one of these statuses, you can add this filtered selection to a different List of your own

Filter.png

We also released several additional features and bug fixes based on feedback:

• Ctrl + click will open a link in a new tab
  • Select a range of checkboxes using shift key. To use this, select the box for one geocache in your List, hold down the Shift key and select a box for another geocache, down your List. This action will select that geocache, and all of the geocaches in between.
  • On a List Details view, after selecting a sub-set of geocaches, and adding them to another List, your selected geocaches will remain checked. This way you could easily delete them from the List.
  • Sort by Status is fixed

Oh, I didn't know this was a completely new release. I started logging caches from a list on Friday and yesterday, and really loved this functionality as it allowed me to remove batches of already logged caches from the list (just 28 left to log, just 21, just 15. phew...) That's very useful. Thank you.

On 11/8/2019 at 11:12 PM, Oceansazul said:

I have edited the release notes to reduce confusion. The List Hub (https://www.geocaching.com/plan/lists) now persists sort order. The columns Favorites, Difficulty, Placed are on List Details pages (https://www.geocaching.com/plan/lists/BM....) and have not been updated to persist sort order at this time. 

Are there any plans to extend this to the app?

I would love for lists in the app to also be persistent in their sort order

or have something similar as within the list where you can choose: sort by distance, name

I've really like this feature. It makes it so much easier to cleanup my solved puzzle lists after I've done a bunch or if they're archived ?

On List Detail pages, you can now ‘Filter & Select’ geocaches on the List based on the geocache status of Found, Archived, or Disabled

Pretty cool. Thanks.

In The List hub (i.e.: the list of lists)

It would be nice to have a column (like the found column) indicating how much archived caches are hold in each list.

This would make selecting a list for editing (deleting caches) much easier when you own a lot of lists and don't want to open each one just to be informed that the filter does not apply.

Hans

On 11/23/2019 at 5:30 AM, thebruce0 said:

It should, if there were a version to view that was like that. How the switch is implemented though is up to the developers - the bigger issue right now is having a desktop version as an option.  (and typically if there is both a mobile and a desktop version, there is a link to force one view or the other, or return to auto-sensing; and sensing the browser is finnicky - it's better to either provide two versions optimized for mobile and desktop, or make the page highly dynamic so it adjusts for whatever browser size is being used)

It's no small task.

That's a different story and I would absolutely second a request for 2 (completely) different versions of the website, but I fear that this is no option as it might take too much time and number of web designers at Groundspeak might be too limited that for. I do understand they go for the highest number of potential users which might be mobile users nowadays. Still just don't like this too much as I'm mainly using the website at home having 2 large screens ;-)