Release Notes (Website: Progressive release, Lists) - September 23, 2019

2 minutes ago, monsterbox said:

Moving/Zooming works for me, at least besides that fact that it's sooooo slow with a bml of some 800 caches. First thought it's broken. Took at least 30s to load the map tiles after zooming in to the 300m range. But it worked!

I can move/zoom but it then loads other caches (found included) in the area and doesn't just display the bookmark list you asked to map. 

I've just spent my first morning editing list entries (to include extra info I need for future caching trips and qualifying caches for challenge cache lists) and I have to admit it's really difficult on a PC.

The edit box is EIGHT lines tall and apparently NOT EXPANDABLE. For entries with anything more I have to use the slider on the tiny panel. For entries with 50 or so lines, this is really user-unfriendly, as the box won't let me see everything I've typed at once. Please consider PC users... (even if we have to take 2nd place to phone users these days) and re-expand this edit box (or give me the ability to expand it) so I can see a screen's worth or the whole list entry at once if I need to.

Edited by mellers
typo
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
On 10/25/2019 at 4:51 PM, monsterbox said:

I've finally also needed to use the new list version now and it was as expected :( It took me roughly 2 minutes to find 3 found caches in a list with 990 entries. They are SOOO hard to distinguish. That little smiley simply gets lost in between of all these huge icons. My kind of workflow I'm used to is close to be broken by the new lists now.

It's really tough to find already found as well as archived caches in between of all the others and that's what I'm mainly doing when I'm editing lists.

In addition the new lists consume so much more space on the screen. On my huge screen I can only see 15 lines now compared to probably some 25 in the old version. And CPU utilization goes up by far, Firefox takes below 1% if I don't do anything. Just having one of the lists open gets me to ~10% (older Core i5-5300U dual core). Not a real issue for my home PC, but a possible issue when being on battery. In addition the memory consumption seems to be weird, too. Opening that single list seemed to use up ~300MB of RAM, too.

Hope there will be some further improvements!

I agree with all of these comments. I would also add that the found by me date is not on the screen anymore and I found this most useful on lists where I want to see that that cache has been found by someone else. There is plenty of white space where it would fit very nicely.

After reading the information saying, if we went to the "new experience" we would not be able to return to the old way, my thought is that I'll try my best to avoid the new experience. I base this on what happened when the new logging experience came out and the ability to log that a cache needed to be archived or if maintenance is needed, why that might be true, disappeared.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, two bison said:

After reading the information saying, if we went to the "new experience" we would not be able to return to the old way, my thought is that I'll try my best to avoid the new experience. I base this on what happened when the new logging experience came out and the ability to log that a cache needed to be archived or if maintenance is needed, why that might be true, disappeared.

I was also planning to avoid the new lists at all costs but ended up not having a chance. I checked my lists tonight and had already been switched over. I had no choice or option to decline. Feeling a bit bummed....

• Upvote 2
15 hours ago, two bison said:

It's still perfectly possible to mark caches as "needs archived" or "needs maintenance" and write a reason in your log. Before this change, quite a few people would write a "needs maintenance" log *instead* of writing a "found" log, on the quite reasonable assumption that one log should be enough to log a cache (and possibly indicate that it has problems in the process). I've seen the occasional grognard complaining over this change since Everything Is Not As It Was In 2004, but it's still an improvement.

1 hour ago, pinkunicorn said:

It's still perfectly possible to mark caches as "needs archived" or "needs maintenance" and write a reason in your log.

Yes, but the reason that you write in your log ends up in the Find long, not in the NA or NM log.

That's what many of us grognards have complained about, not the fact that the system has integrated the NA and NM logs with other logs.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I agree with the need of a feature to bulk remove found and/or archived caches from the list.

I also would like more than 100 lists - I keep hitting that limit

Also, the viewing a list on a map switches to viewing all caches in an area if you move around at all

• Upvote 1
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:57 PM, The Jester said:

As a temporary workaround, start with page 2 deletions then do page 1.  That way no 'new' caches appear on page 1 from page 2.

Great suggestion, I have an ignorelist of several pages (even more now as only 500 can be displayed) but there is no direct link to each page...

My first reaction when I saw this 'new' list page, gosh, it's slow. then I tried checking a box, gosh it's slow. Then I tried deleting the selected, gosh it's unclear and slow.

Then I moved to the second page (of 500 caches, not 1000), gosh that was slow. Selected again, yeah indeed very slow, deleted again, slow and unclear interface... and gone back to page 1, great design.

I'm very sorry, but change and evolution should be improving, in this case it's only going backwards.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

I am having a heck of a time even adding anything to the description, like a found date.  Probably user error, but I see no posts about how to even edit a description.  Nothing happens when I hit enter, and there are no choices that I can see on the pop up.

2 hours ago, 7oakley said:

I am having a heck of a time even adding anything to the description, like a found date.  Probably user error, but I see no posts about how to even edit a description.  Nothing happens when I hit enter, and there are no choices that I can see on the pop up.

There should be "Cancel" and "Submit" buttons at the bottom of the popup. You don't have those? Here's what it looks like for me:

listcacheedit.png

You might have to scroll if the browser isn't big enough.  (another desktop pet peeve for a simple edit form)

But on top of that - the popup doesn't scroll. Its height is static and centered, so a short browser cuts off the title and buttons. The popup is not responsive to layout and is only usable on portrait/mobile and if your browser happens to be tall enough for the popup to fit.

ETA: That said, if you can't lengthen your browser window, you could zoom out until the buttons appear.  ctrl-mousescroll, or ctrl-minus and ctrl-plus (= button), or whatever your browser supplies for zooming.

Edited by thebruce0
1 hour ago, Geocaching HQ said:

Today, we released several fixes and feature requests based on feedback. These include:

• Ability to print Lists
  • Hover text on tabs now includes List names
  • Styling fixes to the "Back to Top" button, Edit cache popover, and disabled states of icons

Thanks for these.

I don't print the lists and can't confirm that one, but I can confirm that the other items are better.

I'd prefer to have the page title be shortened so more of the list's name can be seen on a tab (I can currently only see the first letter), but I can understand why you want to keep the "Geocaching.com - My Lists - " portion there. At least with hover I can tell which list it is.

The "Back to Top" issue I mentioned earlier where it overlapped the last entry in the list has been resolved.

I'm not sure what changes were made with the edit cache popup or the icons, but they look fine to me.

Hmm, the "Back to Top" button doesn't seem to do anything for me. I just tested in both Firefox 70.0 and Chrome 78.0.3904.70, and clicking the button does nothing. The page remains in the same spot. After I've clicked it and nothing happens, if I scroll either up or down, the button disappears entirely (as if it had actually taken me to the top and isn't needed anymore).

2 hours ago, Geocaching HQ said:

Today, we released several fixes and feature requests based on feedback. These include:

• Ability to print Lists
  • Styling fixes to the "Back to Top" button, Edit cache popover, and disabled states of icons

Rather than fix styling, how about giving us what many have asked for - i.e. the ability to default to viewing all 1000 caches at once without having to manually edit the URL every time. It's beginning to get frustrating!

1 hour ago, The A-Team said:

Hmm, the "Back to Top" button doesn't seem to do anything for me. I just tested in both Firefox 70.0 and Chrome 78.0.3904.70, and clicking the button does nothing. The page remains in the same spot. After I've clicked it and nothing happens, if I scroll either up or down, the button disappears entirely (as if it had actually taken me to the top and isn't needed anymore).

Doesn't work for me either. Tried in Chrome, Firefox and Safari on a Mac. 

16 minutes ago, lodgebarn said:

Interesting I selected a cache from another users public list and the Delete button pops up enabled. I did not wish to try this out but I suggest this should not happen. 

I just tried this on a trusted list/person. You are asked if you really want to do that, and if you click Yes you get the following cryptic error message:

We had trouble loading your List.

Please try again by refreshing the page.

Upon clicking OK you get transferred to your own lists overview. So basically, if you're ever wondering how to find your own lists as they aren't that easy to find you just need to go to a random public bookmark list and try to delete a random cache from it. :antenna:

• Funny 5
  • Helpful 1
On 10/23/2019 at 2:31 PM, monsterbox said:

please don't. Alphabetically works best for me. I don't even care about found date as I usually haven't found ANY out of my lists. And even if so I don't care at all about that date...

This is specifically about Favorite lists.  You have found every cache on that list.

10 hours ago, crs98 said:

This is specifically about Favorite lists.  You have found every cache on that list.

It is total and utter madness not to be able to see my recently favourited caches. I need to check whether I did indeed award that FP. Whoever designed this screen should do a hasty rethink and allow sort on all columns. I expect more from a company I pay money to.  It is never a good plan to remove functionality when implementing new features.

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1

Since the update, HTML in list descriptions is rendered as plain text. Not even Markdown works. So the most valuable public lists that provided structured information, additional links etc. are are now an ugly mess of unreadable code.

Please enable HTML in list descriptions again or at least allow Markdown.

Edited by daRAMA
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

So far, I am liking the new list layout.  Being able to track the progress of a list is nice.  I have different uses for lists:  Planning trips, grouping similar cache types, and keeping my solved puzzles in one place.  There is one feature I would like to see added.  When creating a list, and check box to "Remove from list when found".  If I'm planning a trip out of town, I will look in the area, compile a quick list, and be on my way. When I get there, I "map this list" and see what I have left to find in the area.  I do the same with geoart, too.  When I'm in the area, I grab a few and save some for when I come back around.  If I find it, I don't need to see it in that list anymore.  For now, I'll settle on revisiting the list when I get home and removing them myself.

Ok, rant over.  As you were.

May The 4s Be With You!

• Helpful 1
On 10/28/2019 at 2:00 PM, pinkunicorn said:

It's still perfectly possible to mark caches as "needs archived" or "needs maintenance" and write a reason in your log. Before this change, quite a few people would write a "needs maintenance" log *instead* of writing a "found" log, on the quite reasonable assumption that one log should be enough to log a cache (and possibly indicate that it has problems in the process). I've seen the occasional grognard complaining over this change since Everything Is Not As It Was In 2004, but it's still an improvement.

Sorry, but it's a step back ;) There are many times I KNOW that I need to write a NM or NA log. And I don't want to first have a note that no one reads to get a NM or NA log that I THEN need to edit to have everything in there. Sorry, HUGE step back.

But wrong place here... So that's my only comment on that topic!

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/29/2019 at 9:49 PM, Geocaching HQ said:

• Ability to print Lists

Just out of curiosity: I would have taken red for archived and orange for disabled ;) More like a traffic light, but that's just personal preference. Beside that: Now they are at least a bit easier to find as both are greyed out.

Still would like to be able to get 1000 again...

• Upvote 1

BBCode in descriptions (for lists and caches) is no longer rendered. Please provider a new method to create formatted descriptions. I know these is not the main goal of lists but formatted descriptions helps and makes the value of lists much higher. Markdown will be great :-)

Thank you

CachingFoX

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

And every bookmark list that used formatting in the List Description or any Item Description is currently broken because of the update.

This bug was mentioned loooooooong ago and hasn't been addressed or acknowledged beyond accommodating line breaks. What's the status? Will formatting be brought back or is it gone for good?

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

I was selecting caches from my private list. It is slower than before but I can handle it without problems. Then I hit a cache link with CTRL button pressed down. Suddenly the list manager forgot all my selections and jumped to the listing I selected to open into another tab. This was not very kind.

Then I tried again, avoiding to open any links this time. When I succesfully removed some caches from the first page of the list, more caches appeared in the end and I had to select again and delete again until no additional caches to be removed appeared in the end. This is frustrating as it is a basic task what everybody is doing while managing lists. Ok - I must start from the last page to prevent this.

Edited by arisoft
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Yep, that's a very common side-effect with paged list results that allow you to remove individual items. Forces you to adjust your manner of selecting items to remove if you don't want to deal with new items appearing filling in the ones you just removed. Started from the last page is the best option in those cases, unless there's a filter option to reduce the listed results. Which there isn't in the case of our Bookmark Lists page. =/

Of course, the suggestion to allow the full 1000 items to display would resolve all of that finicky behaviour :P

On 10/22/2019 at 12:39 PM, dprovan said:

I'd propose a delete mechanism in the edit box like there was in the old edit box. Also useful would be a move option in the edit box -- i.e., the ability to edit the list from the list it's currently in to some other list -- so I don't have to invoke the bulk move each time I want to move a single cache, either.

Ha-ha. I finally got around to "moving" caches from one list to another and discovered I was mistaken about there being a bulk move. Only bulk delete and bulk add. I was looking forward to bulk move as one of the good things that would come out of this since move -- bulk or not -- is an operation I've often wished for. Too bad the add operation clears the check marks, since otherwise I could at least to bulk move by doing a bulk add followed by bulk delete of the same entries.

I also confirmed two things others have mentioned: harder to find found caches because they're now indicated by a little icon instead of the much more obvious greying of the entire line in the old list, and harder to search the list at all because each entry is taller, so a lot more scrolling to get through the same number of entries.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 minutes ago, dprovan said:

Too bad the add operation clears the check marks, since otherwise I could at least to bulk move by doing a bulk add followed by bulk delete of the same entries.

Oh, except that wouldn't actually be a move, since the add operation only adds the caches, it doesn't copy the "description". I was very surprised by that: I've been assuming all along that "add" or "move" would add or move the list entry as a whole, not merely add the geocache to the new list without copying the description from the original list to the target list.

By the way, "geocache description" is a poor title for that box, in my opinion. I think it should be "comment" or "additional information". "Geocache description" is already used to mean something else. Since we don't have the ability to go back to the old way to compare -- nice way to cut down on complaints! -- I can't tell for sure, but I'm pretty sure that field wasn't called "geocache description" in the old lists.

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Is there a way on the GC website to find out which of my lists have notifications enabled without having to check each list individually?

AFAIK no. Would be great if the hamburger button could indicate that by being filled with a light green color (as the Geocache found bar has).

Hans

• Upvote 1

We have released several feature requests and bug fixes based on feedback. These include:

• Showing small icons in the List table for the following cache states: 
    • owned caches
    • has corrected coordinates
    • has personal cache notes
    • has a draft log
    • has a did not find log
  • Sort order on List Hub is now persistent. For example, you can now sort the List Hub (https://www.geocaching.com/plan/lists) alphabetically and have it remain that way on future visits.
  • Add a cache to a List improvements:
    • Copy and paste a GC code into the text field, without removing the prepopulated “GC”
    • Add a GC code and hit enter to save the geocache to the List - you no longer have to wait for the GC code to be validated
  • More performance and speed optimizations
  • Safari 11 is now rendering all SVGs
  • GPX downloads now support characters that were not supported previously
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I did not test everything, two simple tests with two errors were enough for me. I can not understand why you are not performing at least the simplest tests before you post a message.

Errors:
- The sort order on List Hub isn't persistent for exapmle the columns Favorites, Difficulty, Placed on and others.
- There is no small icon for caches with a draft log.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
18 minutes ago, 2Abendsegler said:

- The sort order on List Hub isn't persistent for exapmle the columns Favorites, Difficulty, Placed on and others.

I have edited the release notes to reduce confusion. The List Hub (https://www.geocaching.com/plan/lists) now persists sort order. The columns Favorites, Difficulty, Placed are on List Details pages (https://www.geocaching.com/plan/lists/BM....) and have not been updated to persist sort order at this time. 

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, 2Abendsegler said:

The sort order on List Hub isn't persistent for exapmle the columns Favorites, Difficulty, Placed on and others.

The List hub (i.e.: the list of lists) does not have those columns. Seems you're meant the lists itself. And yes: the lists' sort order is not sticky. But the List Hub's sort order is.

Hans

Edited by HHL
Cross posted with Oceansazul