Release Notes (Website: Progressive release, Lists) - September 23, 2019

27 minutes ago, crs98 said:

It seems that the default sort order for your Favorites list is done alphabetically.  That is probably the least interesting way to sort the list.  Ideally you should be able to sort it based on any of the columns in the list, but if you only had one to choose from, I would probably pick it based on the date you found the cache, with the most recent ones listed first.

My first choice would be alphabetical. In fact, while I appreciate the other possibilities, I doubt I will use them more than once in a blue moon. I certainly wouldn't expect any of them to be the default order. That would just be confusing.

The specific problem with using the date I found the cache is that a lot of my lists have caches I haven't found yet.

By the way, when I went to look at this, I was initially confused because the list I looked at didn't seem to be in any particular order. I finally figured out that the alphabetical list order was taking the unseen leading spaces into account -- which is fine, even correct I would say -- but then the list itself eliminates the leading spaces when printing the name, so it's literally impossible to see that the cache name starts with a space. Alas, this is somewhat forgivable since the cache page itself also throws leading spaces away before printing the cache name, so it's hard to detect leading spaces in most places in the user interface.

Thanks for this great job. The lists now looks very nice.

One thing that's is still missing for my point of view : in lists, Found caches appear with a smiley, but there's still not any difference on icons for caches with corrected coordinates or caches containing personal notes (as it can be seen on maps).

This feature would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Upvote 2
On 9/24/2019 at 4:51 AM, sernikk said:

I have a question about cache organisation in the list.

When I go anywhere further away from home I create a list of Mystery Caches, Multi-Caches and other solved or must-have geocaches. But I was never able to find all caches from the list, so after the trip (for example) only half of them has the "Found it" status. The question is, in the new experience will there be a possibility to quickly select all these found caches and delete them from the list? It is possible now to delete them, but you have to manually select each cache which is taking a decent amount of time. I guess the new experience could have such a quick-delete button or possibly a complex tool for selecting caches within the list.

This can presently be done at project-gc.com which is really the better site for trip planning. You can also easily import/export to and from geocaching.com 

Just now, tumbleweed42 said:
On 9/24/2019 at 4:51 AM, sernikk said:

I have a question about cache organisation in the list.

When I go anywhere further away from home I create a list of Mystery Caches, Multi-Caches and other solved or must-have geocaches. But I was never able to find all caches from the list, so after the trip (for example) only half of them has the "Found it" status. The question is, in the new experience will there be a possibility to quickly select all these found caches and delete them from the list? It is possible now to delete them, but you have to manually select each cache which is taking a decent amount of time. I guess the new experience could have such a quick-delete button or possibly a complex tool for selecting caches within the list.

This can presently be done at project-gc.com which is really the better site for trip planning. You can also easily import/export to and from geocaching.com 

There are a number of alternative ways it could be done, but I think the request was that the Lists page provide that ability, as it's really just a matter of adding a button that would select all found caches.  As for trip planning, there are a number of functions people used the main site for in their trip planning that can't be done now (such as printing the bookmark list page as organized). A good workaround isn't "use another website" and learn a new methodology. Not unless that was the intent of removing an oft-used feature :P

• Helpful 1

Finally got the new list. I was astonished to find that the feature I use most is gone: there's no way to delete a single cache from the list. With all the discussion about deleting in bulk, it never occurred to me that the ability to delete caches from the list one by one was gone. That's easily the most common thing I do with the list. Even when I'm looking at the list itself, it's almost always to pick out a cache I want to delete. What used to be a couple clicks now involves checking the box, then scrolling all the way back up to the top of the list to delete it.

I'd propose a delete mechanism in the edit box like there was in the old edit box. Also useful would be a move option in the edit box -- i.e., the ability to edit the list from the list it's currently in to some other list -- so I don't have to invoke the bulk move each time I want to move a single cache, either.

Edited by dprovan
  • Helpful 1

I find that my biggest issue is unable to print more then the first page. We are planning a run of 50+ caches this week and I cannot print our lists to keeping track of the order we plan to do them in.

Any idea when a fix will be implemented?

Or is it just me not using it correctly?

• Helpful 1
26 minutes ago, tumbleweed42 said:

I'm not planning trips with project-gc, and I only use lists for marking caches which are interesting for me.

That is why I proposed a "delete found caches" option or any other way to select found caches only, so I can easily delete them.

I see no response to that idea from HQ, although people like this concept..

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
1 hour ago, dprovan said:
1 hour ago, crs98 said:

It seems that the default sort order for your Favorites list is done alphabetically.  That is probably the least interesting way to sort the list.  Ideally you should be able to sort it based on any of the columns in the list, but if you only had one to choose from, I would probably pick it based on the date you found the cache, with the most recent ones listed first.

My first choice would be alphabetical. In fact, while I appreciate the other possibilities, I doubt I will use them more than once in a blue moon. I certainly wouldn't expect any of them to be the default order. That would just be confusing.

The specific problem with using the date I found the cache is that a lot of my lists have caches I haven't found yet.

crs98 is referring specifically to the Favourites list, which doesn't currently have any of the sort-by-column-heading that all the other lists have. How can you have caches in your Favourites list that you haven't found yet?

I noticed that when I go to add a cache to one of "My Lists" there is the option to enter a GC code or to "Go to Map" and clicking on them there, but when I go to add a cache to the "Ignored geocaches" list the only option is to enter a GC code.   I would love to have the option of adding caches to the "ignored geocaches" list by clicking them on the map.

2 hours ago, diesolinger said:

Hello,

I would love to see the near city for every entry in the list. This would it make even more useful for members with many entries in the lists.

Best regards,
Arndt

What about caches that aren't near any cities? For example take GC5KKQ8 on Lord Howe Island. The nearest city to that one (or the other nine caches on the island) would be Port Macquarie 600km to the west on mainland Australia, which isn't much help in getting there. There are also many caches in inland Australia that aren't anywhere near any cities.

I've always make a list of what caches I want to find that day, in the order I want to find them.

I then print out my list and take it with me. 

Unfortunately I can't do that anymore as this new version just won't print out sensibly.

Please could there be a printer friendly version.

• Helpful 2

Hi folks, great job on the Lists. I have been using the new lists for awhile and I think they are invaluable. They have totally changed how I download my caches now, and I almost never create pocket queries any more. The ability to filter based on more than one geocacher is so useful. My main use of the lists are to "Send to Garmin" directly. If I had any complaint, it would be that it now isn't available with one click from the main lists page. You have to click on a list, or click on the options, then click on it. That is a real loss for me as the Send to Garmin feature was the one I used the most. Thanks for everything else you have done though. 

On 9/27/2019 at 9:21 PM, HHL said:

It would be pretty cool to have a feature to bulk remove found and/or archived caches from the list.

An automatic remove (triggered by a settings checkbox) would be appreciated. That way a bookmark list will become a real to-do list.

Hans

Definitely! I have a bookmark list with all solved and not yet found mystery caches, at the moment round about 900 positions. After i found one or some of them were stupidly archived, i delete them from the list. In the past i could use a user script to automatically mark all found, archived or disabled caches in a list and bulk delete them afterwards. With the new list i have to go throgh the complete list and mark the found or archived caches manually. That's a lot of mindless work! Some kind of filter function, just about the cache status (found, unfound archived or disabled) would be really helpful or, to say in other words, without this the new list feature is mostly useless.

Edited by donweb
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

Is there any plan to be able to add caches to a list in bulk (like the app, where you can add all the caches on screen) - I like to make a back-up list when we go on holidays, in case we have spotty reception, but it's rather tedious adding them one at a time.

12 hours ago, donweb said:

Definitely! I have a bookmark list with all solved and not yet found mystery caches, at the moment round about 900 positions. After i found one or some of them were stupidly archived, i delete them from the list. In the past i could use a user script to automatically mark all found, archived or disabled caches in a list and bulk delete them afterwards. With the new list i have to go throgh the complete list and mark the found or archived caches manually. That's a lot of mindless work! Some kind of filter function, just about the cache status (found, unfound archived or disabled) would be really helpful or, to say in other words, without this the new list feature is mostly useless.

I also maintain a bookmark list with solved, but not yet found mystery caches (to make a PQ from that list). When I update this bookmark list, I first remove all caches from that list and than use a search "not found, not owned, has corrected coordinates" to populate the same list again. But this only works for lists, you could (re)fill from a search result.

For handcrafted bookmark lists, a filter would be very useful.

Edited by WolfHH
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

We continue to review your feedback, thank you. 

We don't have a definitive timeline but, we are currently working on solutions to:

• Be able to print Lists
  • Show the List name when hovering over a tab
  • Show the icon that indicates if a cache is owned by you, has corrected coordinates, has personal cache notes, or has been DNFd
  • Address additional points that have been raised here and in other feedback channels
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
39 minutes ago, Oceansazul said:

We continue to review your feedback, thank you. 

We don't have a definitive timeline but, we are currently working on solutions to:

• Be able to print Lists
  • Show the List name when hovering over a tab
  • Show the icon that indicates if a cache is owned by you, has corrected coordinates, has personal cache notes, or has been DNFd
  • Address additional points that have been raised here and in other feedback channels

I sincerely hope that these 'additional points' include the ability to view 1000 caches at once and to restore the 'Ctrl+click' functionality to open a cache page in a new tab.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Delta68 said:

I used the comments on lists a lot! 

It's bloomin' annoying that they have all been removed without warning. :mad:

Can you explain what you're seeing? I also use descriptions/comments on both lists and caches within lists, and all of mine are still there.

"Purple is the default color used by web browsers to identify visited (ie opened) links. You can see that happening right at the end of the video, when Nick clicks on one of the captions to open the image. When he goes back to the main page, that link is now purple."

But, with the lists as currently implemented, you don't get the visited (purple) links.   E.G.

0.png

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 10/22/2019 at 1:19 PM, arisoft said:

For me both were presented by strikethrough font. Maybe I am colorblind? :D

What shall I say... Firefox, Windows 10 x64, 2 different colors, both strikethrough. Archived in prominent red color. If you don't believe it I'll post an example ;)

Edited by monsterbox
On 10/22/2019 at 8:33 PM, crs98 said:

please don't. Alphabetically works best for me. I don't even care about found date as I usually haven't found ANY out of my lists. And even if so I don't care at all about that date...

On 10/22/2019 at 9:30 PM, tumbleweed42 said:

Sorry, but that's a pretty bad advice. It cost additional money to use that extra website and we're talking about the new functionality on the official website. I don't care at all if some random website somewhere in the world might offer some nice feature ;-) As the new page anyways has got new features, these would roughly be the only ones I might wait for, too.

Edited by monsterbox
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 10/22/2019 at 10:33 PM, barefootjeff said:

crs98 is referring specifically to the Favourites list, which doesn't currently have any of the sort-by-column-heading that all the other lists have. How can you have caches in your Favourites list that you haven't found yet?

You could! I received an FP from someone who DNF'd one of my caches. But it looks like this isn't possible any longer.

7 hours ago, monsterbox said:

please don't. Alphabetically works best for me. I don't even care about found date as I usually haven't found ANY out of my lists. And even if so I don't care at all about that date...

Again we're talking specifically about the Favourites list which for some reason is treated differently to all the others in that it's not sortable at all. Surely you must have found at least some of the caches you've awarded FPs to.

Usually when I need to refer back to my favourites list, I have a much better idea of roughly when I found it than what the first character of the cache name was, so being able to sort by found date would be a big improvement for me.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
5 hours ago, rickrich said:

"Purple is the default color used by web browsers to identify visited (ie opened) links. You can see that happening right at the end of the video, when Nick clicks on one of the captions to open the image. When he goes back to the main page, that link is now purple."

But, with the lists as currently implemented, you don't get the visited (purple) links.

1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

They've been moving away and seemingly avoiding web UI standards for years now. Not excusing the change, just saying

Dear Groundspeak:

Please stop breaking basic browser functionality for opening links on your web site.

SIncerely,

Geocachers who ever use web sites other than geocaching.com

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, rickrich said:

But, with the lists as currently implemented, you don't get the visited (purple) links.

A tiny style adjustment, f.ex. something like that? :)

.geocache-table .geocache-name a:visited {
    color: purple;
}

But maybe a visited link color is removed on purpose, to prevent interfering with a disabled/archived cache colors?

I constantly delete single caches from lists. To give devs an idea why: I plan to travel to cyprus on vacation. There are many mysteries all over the map. I chose all mysteries and look through all of them to see if it's worth solving them or not. Delete most of them again, keep the solved ones in that list. I have lists that involve caches that I want to do one day, and if I do they go off those lists. There needs to be an easier way of deleting a single cache, really.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 10/22/2019 at 3:39 PM, dprovan said:

Finally got the new list. I was astonished to find that the feature I use most is gone: there's no way to delete a single cache from the list.

Windows, Firefox, with or without TamperMonkey scripts

To the left of cache title on the list page is a box. Check it, at the top a new bar will load with the options to delete or copy to another list, including create a new list.  You can check one or many. 

You cannot currently filter on status: found, not found, disabled, archived, personal note.  Image below,  I've removed the center columns of  image to keep it well within frame.

delete copy new list.jpg

2 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

To the left of cache title on the list page is a box. Check it, at the top a new bar will load with the options to delete or copy to another list, including create a new list.

Well, that sounds like a very poor interface design. It's one thing if the bar with the options is there, but disabled. But hiding it completely hides any indication of what can be done with the caches in the list.

• Upvote 1

It would be nice if I could sort or filter the caches in a list by "found / not found".

I for example created a list with all the caches I found and spent a favourite point on. But somehow the indicator in the overview of lists says 282 of the 283 caches in the list found. How can I quickly identify the one I obviously added to the list by mistake

• Helpful 1
5 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

To the left of cache title on the list page is a box. Check it, at the top a new bar will load with the options to delete or copy to another list, including create a new list.  You can check one or many. 

Yes, as I said, there is a bulk delete. I want an individual delete. There was one on the old edit screen, but it's gone now.

Your example only looks similar and as simple because there's only one item in the list. When the one cache I want to delete is a few hundred caches down the list, it's easier to see how bulk delete is entirely different even though it can be used to accomplish the same thing.

• Upvote 1

My thought: I can understand why the limit was reduced to 500. It's because the new programming is MUCH heavier on the browser than the old coding, and limiting it to 500 caches makes sure the performance of the Lists page is still reasonable.  But....

1. That's a case of a new positive development removing a desirable feature (is that really a good thing?)

2. If the issue is only front-end usability then leave the choice to the user whether they feel the page will be sluggish while showing 1000 caches. A person with a better PC will have less concern than someone with a slower one. Why restrict it across the board?

3. Consider how the page coding can be improved so that more list items can be displayed simultaneously. This is a regular problem with "dynamic" web pages - balancing form with content.

The old page was printable because it was more like a 'classic' web page. Informational, with passive interaction.

The new page has dynamic content, live updates, and is much interactive, thus if not programmed with printing and performance in mind, those concepts are lost to the "interactive" mindset.

I'm guessing (hoping) developers are already looking into these concerns, but man... so many new pages are falling into this trap.

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 2
On 10/24/2019 at 12:46 AM, barefootjeff said:

Again we're talking specifically about the Favourites list which for some reason is treated differently to all the others in that it's not sortable at all. Surely you must have found at least some of the caches you've awarded FPs to.

Usually when I need to refer back to my favourites list, I have a much better idea of roughly when I found it than what the first character of the cache name was, so being able to sort by found date would be a big improvement for me.

Ok, might make some sense :) I usually don't care about my own favorite list. I gave one and that's it. It's a list I'm showing others, but I rarely every look into it by myself.

I've finally also needed to use the new list version now and it was as expected :( It took me roughly 2 minutes to find 3 found caches in a list with 990 entries. They are SOOO hard to distinguish. That little smiley simply gets lost in between of all these huge icons. My kind of workflow I'm used to is close to be broken by the new lists now.

It's really tough to find already found as well as archived caches in between of all the others and that's what I'm mainly doing when I'm editing lists.

In addition the new lists consume so much more space on the screen. On my huge screen I can only see 15 lines now compared to probably some 25 in the old version. And CPU utilization goes up by far, Firefox takes below 1% if I don't do anything. Just having one of the lists open gets me to ~10% (older Core i5-5300U dual core). Not a real issue for my home PC, but a possible issue when being on battery. In addition the memory consumption seems to be weird, too. Opening that single list seemed to use up ~300MB of RAM, too.

Hope there will be some further improvements!

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I use lists to plan trips, and I am liking the new list features. I particularly like being able to see the D/T info, fav points, recent find date, etc... This is all info I often re-typed into my personal notes on lists that I would share with my caching friends before trips. 

My only problem at the moment with the new lists is printing. Is anyone else having trouble with this? It will only print the first few caches. The only way I can print the rest of my list is to make screen shots. Any suggestions? 

Oh - and I agree on other's comments about being able to merge lists. That would be a nice addition. Would be very helpful especially when planning trips with friends.

On 10/22/2019 at 9:03 PM, geoengelchen said:

... Funde, deaktivierte Cache, und archiverte Cache Filtern.

Damit konnte man schnell alle Funde, deaktivierte Cache und archiverte Cache in der Liste suchen und löschen ...

This is a feature of the script GC little helper in the old design of the bookmarklists. This should come again in some days also for the new style of bookmarklists.

Perhaps we can implement also the 1000 as maximum number of caches in the list and perhaps other missing features.

GC little helper II - Some little things to make life easy (on www.geocaching.com)

Edited by 2Abendsegler
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Team DEMP said:

Is there a way when clicking the MAP icon to show the bookmark list on the map to NOT have more caches load when moving/zooming and just show the caches in the bookmark list? Is there an option/filter I'm not aware of?

Moving/Zooming works for me, at least besides that fact that it's sooooo slow with a bml of some 800 caches. First thought it's broken. Took at least 30s to load the map tiles after zooming in to the 300m range. But it worked!