Release Notes (Website: Progressive release, Lists) - September 23, 2019

I now have the new list format as of today.  One thing I noticed right away is that when I open a list that includes found caches, there are no yellow smileys shown for those found caches.  Screenshots earlier in this thread show found caches have been indicated at one time in this development but that doesn't happen for me now.  As an example, for my FTF list, the green bar on the lists page shows 100% found but when I open the list, none of the caches show a smiley.

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1

I second The A-Team report about BBCode (and line breaks) not being rendered anymore. Neither is it in the list description nor is it in the geocache comments. I currently have a public list where some hyperlinks are shared along some listed geocaches. Do we have to switch to Downmark or does this alternative not work either?

3 minutes ago, 2Abendsegler said:

s it possible to use the old design of the bookmarklists?

Pardon my ignorance, but why do you want all those disadvantages (not sortable, no way of adding a selection to another list, etc.) of the old list view back?

Hans

• Upvote 1

That seems to be the wrong question, sorry. It would be better to ask why everything has to be changed. Sometimes there are advantages, definitely, but not in other cases like for example the new designed map, which is not usable for me. If I had the possibility, I would like to forgo the changes.

• Upvote 4
13 minutes ago, 2Abendsegler said:

It would be better to ask why everything has to be changed

Reading (and hopefully understanding) the first post in this thread will give you the appropriate answer why your assumption seems to be pretty wrong. :blink:

Happy Learning

Hans

I really appreciate the new way of editing a list item with a personal description. One thing I nearly always do for significant finds (such as those placed on FTF or challenge qualification lists) is to paste the link to my log in my personal notes. In the old lists, the link would show up as a hyperlink that I could click to go directly to the found log. The new lists, just display the text of the URL rather than setting it as a hyperlink. I hope that you will add this to your bug list to correct in an upcoming release. 

NewLists_missingHyperlinks.PNG

• Helpful 1
On 9/23/2019 at 11:45 PM, The A-Team said:
  • One of the issues with the current experience is that the sorting of the lists in the list hub wasn't sticky. The current one always defaults to sort by the most recently modified, but a number of users wanted it to default to alphabetical (including myself). Will the sorting be sticky now?

Just found the new lists and noticed some things

• Checking and unchecking the checkboxes feels sluggish. It feels like it takes more than a second to check or uncheck a item in the list.
    (I'm guessing some JS is slower than the plain html checkboxes they used to be)
  • You cannot sort by my own Found status
    (I wanted to removed the found puzzles from the solved puzzles list and I still need to scroll trough the entire thing)
  • Formatting on the list description no longer works. I tried both bold and **bold**.
    (First option used to work)
  • The list is now limited to 500 per page
    (I think it was 1000 per page before?)
  • I'm still missing the option to keep lists sorted alphabetically and not by last modified

Edited by ardila.nl
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

The new bookmark page  is using a deprecated xlink:href feature https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Attribute/xlink:href

This makes it difficult to use because some icons are not visible.

Clipboard01.jpg.c6c2df8a9f10c1eb926188098b377ffa.jpg

Example of improper use in the html code

<button data-direction="forward" data-testid="pagination-forward" 
title="listHub.nextPage" class="gc-button pagination-control pagination-forward">
<svg aria-labelledby="title"><title>listHub.nextPage</title>
<use xlink:href="#caret-down"></use>
</svg></button>

Example of correct use from the same page

<button data-testid="settings-menu-toggle-button" 
title="Settings" class="gc-button">
<svg data-testid="settings-menu-icon" aria-labelledby="title">
<title>Settings</title>
<use href="#settings"></use>
</svg></button>

• Helpful 1

Sorting the Ignore list by cache name does not work as expected: it does not sort by the caches' nicknames (like before) but by the original cache name.

All other list are sorted by the caches' nicknames. Thus you can give the list an ordering as you like by prefixing the nickname. This is no longer possible for the Ignore list.

:(

• Helpful 1

BUG: continuous CPU load on Firefox, Windows 10, Desktop

On https://www.geocaching.com/plan/lists there's a continuous CPU load using Firefox on desktop (>10% on a Laptop) - even if the page is fully loaded.

As soon as one switches to a different tab the CPU drops immediately to <1%.

Switching back to the lists tab and the CPU load is back.

This is also the case on any list detail view.

No browser add-ons are running.

On Chrome this seems not to be an issue.

Edited by Die Batzen
Operating system added; additional information about no add-ons running
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

When you want to add geocaches by gccode, you have to make multiple clicks instead of just one.

New list:

1. Click "+"
  2. Remove the "GC" (as "The A-Team" mentioned already)
  3. Paste the gccode
  4. Select the Cache (otherwise the next step is grayed out)
  5. Click "Add geocache"

Old List:

1. Paste the gccode
  2. Click Add (or just press Return)

Please consider to make this function to be usable with less actions or add a "bulk-add" function, where you can add multiple gccodes in one step.

When you want to add a bunch of caches to a list, every click matters. ;)

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

I like the new look a lot. Especially the information about how many finds are in the list!

but is discovered a bug which came up with the rollout:
normally I create entries for a list by right-clicking the "Add to a List"-Button from the Cache-page. This brings me to the page where I can enter my comment and press "Create Bookmark". If for this cache a bookmark already exists I receive the information about his and a link to folow to the "edit the existing bookmark".

----

Bug.jpg.152589351589ec7024df97b5936229db.jpg

----

Today this link does no longer work; it sends me back to the list-overview

We have released a fix today to respect line breaks in List Descriptions and Cache Descriptions on Lists. 

We continue to review all of the feedback to validate bugs and prioritize feature requests, thank you for reporting. It is very helpful when you list your browser, operating system, and the steps to reproduce bugs you see so we can track down where errors might be occuring. Thank you.

• Helpful 1
On 10/16/2019 at 6:41 AM, icezebra11 said:

I now have the new list format as of today.  One thing I noticed right away is that when I open a list that includes found caches, there are no yellow smileys shown for those found caches.  Screenshots earlier in this thread show found caches have been indicated at one time in this development but that doesn't happen for me now.  As an example, for my FTF list, the green bar on the lists page shows 100% found but when I open the list, none of the caches show a smiley.

@icezebra11 Could you please share which browser/operating system you are using? 

1 hour ago, Oceansazul said:

@icezebra11 Could you please share which browser/operating system you are using? 

It's an iPad 2 running iOS/Safari 9.3.5 which is the latest version available for the device.  I hadn't thought to check my desktop prior to my earlier post so I just did.  Works fine on that machine with Windows 10 and Chrome.

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Oceansazul said:

We have released a fix today to respect line breaks in List Descriptions and Cache Descriptions on Lists.

Great, thanks. I can confirm that the descriptions now look like I'd expect in this respect.

One new issue has arisen from this change. The edit pencil for the list description appears to be centered vertically based on the height of the description content. For a description that has many lines, this makes the pencil appear to be in an unexpected place (and one that would vary from list to list depending on the length of the description). It might be better to align it with the top instead to make it more consistent.

For the record, this and my previous post with a list of issues are based on Firefox 69.0.3 on Win10 1903.

Will formatting on the text blocks ever be re-implemented? Many previous descriptions and item texts also include bbcode. If bbcode here is also being switched to the new current formatting style, will we be alerted so we can make the formatting changes?  Or are these blocks of text across the board going to remain as plaintext?

Edited by thebruce0
21 hours ago, HHL said:

as a workaround: hover the link > right click and choose: open link ...

Thanks for the idea, but it doesn't appear to work in IE or Edge and I don't have Chrome or Firefox on the device I use when travelling. What browser/device are you using where hover and right click does the job?

2 hours ago, hikecycletri said:

Thanks for the idea, but it doesn't appear to work in IE or Edge and I don't have Chrome or Firefox on the device I use when travelling. What browser/device are you using where hover and right click does the job?

Unfortunately I mingled something on my side (due to a senior moment I guess). :blink: That kind of workaround does not work. Sorry

On 10/16/2019 at 10:50 PM, HHL said:

Pardon my ignorance, but why do you want all those disadvantages (not sortable, no way of adding a selection to another list, etc.) of the old list view back?

I second 2Abendsegler's request because from my point of view they are no disadvantage. I do not sort those lists (except in alphabetical order) and I also don't need the ability to move/copy caches between lists.

Upgrading the old lists view with sortable columns and a few more abilities (like copy/move) would have been really enough to satisfy everyone.

• Upvote 2
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:58 PM, The A-Team said:

None of those tools were created by HQ, so I'm not sure why you're blaming HQ for them. The tools were created by cachers for other cachers.

I guess I should have been more specific. I didn't mean to say that Headquarters was responsible for all of the puzzle solving programs that dumb things down.

However, they are responsible for making changes to the programs regarding maps, lists, and other nuances of the game: How you view your Dashboard, how your field notes look, how the map looks (and works). I would suppose that there are people that say change is inevitable, but I subscribe to the “If it ain’t broken” principle If I could see real value and real improvements then I could accept the changes, but in most cases I don’t. I used to be able to search for caches and map them. I could move around on the map while zooming in (or out). Now, if you try to move the map a little, or zoom in/out, the map freezes up if you don't wait for it to add every line and dot. If you go to the "browse" feature (as was suggested by a minion), then the specific caches you have searched for are mixed in with the many others you might not want to see. I do a lot of searching for puzzle caches with a 3+ difficulty factor. Just as soon as I “browse” to keep the map from freezing then I am faced with ALL of the caches in the area.

When I asked Headquarters why the changed the maps they said it was to make it more convenient for the users. I thought it was just my CPU that had a problem, but they indicated that they had received lots of complaints about the problem. Their suggestion was to update my browser and see if that worked. (To SEE if that worked? Like they didn't know?)

I don’t want to argue with you over this point. Your answer was essentially “change is inevitable”. Yes, but change for the sake of change isn’t a good reason. Headquarters could not give me a satisfactory reason except that they thought it would be for the better. They THOUGHT it would be for the better? Did they conduct a survey? I didn’t see a questionnaire asking what we would like to see changed. Did you?

• Upvote 3
9 minutes ago, Porkwatch said:

I used to be able to search for caches and map them. I could move around on the map while zooming in (or out). Now, if you try to move the map a little, or zoom in/out, the map freezes up if you don't wait for it to add every line and dot. If you go to the "browse" feature (as was suggested by a minion), then the specific caches you have searched for are mixed in with the many others you might not want to see. I do a lot of searching for puzzle caches with a 3+ difficulty factor. Just as soon as I “browse” to keep the map from freezing then I am faced with ALL of the caches in the area.

Just FYI: this thread deals with List features - not maps. Your rant seems to be pretty off topic here.

Hans

Edited by HHL

Getting to grips with the new lists, some immediate problems occur to me as I've used it for the last couple of days:

1. The hyperlink to a cache page no longer responds to the keyboard shortcut of Ctrl + click to open the page in a new tab. I have to right-click and select 'open in a new tab' which has removed important functionality for me and is unnecessarily irritating.
  2. For some inexplicable reason, the maximum number of items I can view on one page is now 500. When a list can contain up to 1000 items (and many of mine do) this is ludicrous. For example,  my last foreign caching trip had 600 ordered items which I needed to be able to view in ONE document and when using Ctrl + F to FIND an item, I'm now forced to unnecessarily search two pages which is irritatingly cumbersome. Let's have the possibility to view 1000 items at once returned to us please... (not everyone uses lists on a phone, some of us still use a PC , you know).
  3. It no longer appears to be possible to print lists. On Chrome, Edge and Firefox, when you go to print the list page the dialog preview box only displays one (seemingly random) page and tells me that the entire document is only 1 page long. At the very list, you need to provide some sort of 'printable' format to restore this essential functionality.
  4. Found items are no longer clearly indicated by a different shade across the whole list entry. I now have to scrutinise the tiny icon for an even tinier smiley to work out which are ones that I've found... this is very difficult to see and less helpful than the previous 'different shade' of the whole line. Change it back, please.
Edited by mellers
  • Upvote 5
  • Helpful 3

Again a change that makes my personal workflow harder... I maintain a TODO list. After a caching day, I visit the list and delete found and archived caches from it.

Before the change, I simply had to scroll the list from top to bottom, tick the archived and found caches (these were easy to find, because archived caches had a red title and found caches had a coloured background) and press "Delete selected".

Now I have to scroll the list and scan it very carefully (because it's harder to distinguish between archived and disabled, found and not found caches), tick the archived and found caches, scroll all the way back up to the top, press "Delete from list", scroll all the way back down to the bottom to see if any of the caches I want to delete now made it from page 2 to page 1 of the list, repeat all the steps above until there are no more caches to delete. Then I need to go to page 2 of the list and repeat the steps until there are no more caches to delete...

Please

• add "Show: 1000" to the page size selection
  • repeat the controls for selected caches at the bottom of the list
  • better highlight archived caches (red background?)
  • better highlight found caches (yellow background?)

Kind regards

• Upvote 6
  • Helpful 2
3 hours ago, mellers said:
  • The hyperlink to a cache page no longer responds to the keyboard shortcut of Ctrl + click to open the page in a new tab. I have to right-click and select 'open in a new tab' which has removed important functionality for me and is unnecessarily irritating.

This is basic browser functionality for opening links. Stop breaking it everywhere on your web site.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, daRAMA said:

Again a change that makes my personal workflow harder... I maintain a TODO list. After a caching day, I visit the list and delete found and archived caches from it.

Before the change, I simply had to scroll the list from top to bottom, tick the archived and found caches (these were easy to find, because archived caches had a red title and found caches had a coloured background) and press "Delete selected".

As a GSAK user the easiest way to bulk delete caches from a Bookmark List is using a macro like this:

https://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=33902&st=0&#entry263645

Hans

I can't get the Bookmark List to print fully.  All I get is the first page with whatever caches fit on one page.

There are plenty of Option buttons.....share, copy list, create PQ, send to GPS, create GPX, BUT NOT PRINT.

Is there some other step I need to do now in order to get the entire list to print??

• Helpful 1
13 minutes ago, FreeSpirited1 said:

I can't get the Bookmark List to print fully.  All I get is the first page with whatever caches fit on one page.

There are plenty of Option buttons.....share, copy list, create PQ, send to GPS, create GPX, BUT NOT PRINT.

Is there some other step I need to do now in order to get the entire list to print??

Use cut & paste to notepad then print from notepad.

4 hours ago, daRAMA said:

Now I have to scroll the list and scan it very carefully (because it's harder to distinguish between archived and disabled, found and not found caches), tick the archived and found caches, scroll all the way back up to the top, press "Delete from list", scroll all the way back down to the bottom to see if any of the caches I want to delete now made it from page 2 to page 1 of the list, repeat all the steps above until there are no more caches to delete. Then I need to go to page 2 of the list and repeat the steps until there are no more caches to delete...

Please

• add "Show: 1000" to the page size selection
  • repeat the controls for selected caches at the bottom of the list
  • better highlight archived caches (red background?)
  • better highlight found caches (yellow background?)

Kind regards

As a temporary workaround, start with page 2 deletions then do page 1.  That way no 'new' caches appear on page 1 from page 2.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, niraD said:

That's fine as a temporary workaround, but the underlying problem should be fixed.

It may be too hard to fix because it is partly or totally a browser problem. One solution is different layout for printing as we have for cache descriptions.

3 hours ago, arisoft said:
4 hours ago, niraD said:

That's fine as a temporary workaround, but the underlying problem should be fixed.

It may be too hard to fix because it is partly or totally a browser problem. One solution is different layout for printing as we have for cache descriptions.

No, it's a problem with the way the page is designed to be dynamically populated.  Desktop views of many pages on the site aren't prioritized, let alone printing said pages.  The request to make the bookmark list page printable is a big one, and would require some changes to the Lists functionality.  Unless they created a printer-friendly version of the List that prints when you click a "Print this page" button they would need to add. This is a fairly common alternative for websites with "mobile optimized" content when desktop interaction is, essentially, a lesser priority.

So two options:

1. Please either make Lists page printer-friendly, or

2. Make an alternative presentation of the current List that is provided when sending the page to the printer.

6 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

No, it's a problem with the way the page is designed to be dynamically populated.

If you can see the page on screen it should be possible to render also on printer. There is no problem with the first page with dynamic content but the browser fails to render multiple pages without an acceptable reason. (There may be a reason but it is not acceptable in this wysywyg context) Generally, browser printing capabilities has been very poor for a long time and never produces what you see.

Edited by arisoft
6 hours ago, arisoft said:

If you can see the page on screen it should be possible to render also on printer.

Yes, should be, but it's not. Thus why I said it's in how the page is programmed.

6 hours ago, arisoft said:

browser printing capabilities has been very poor for a long time and never produces what you see.

No, it's people designing web pages that are not printer friendly. It's "new fangled features" that are designed for dynamic interactive content which are inherently (and appropriately) not printer friendly, and developers who do not consider the latter use case. I develop web and UI for a living. You can never assume that every web page should be printer friendly. Not today, absolutely not.  In most cases, it has nothing to do with the browser, but the underlying structure of web page as programmed.

ETA: In this case it's how they programmed all the dynamic div layers on the Lists page and made the body tag hide extended content. It's the combination of factors in the design of how the list is populated that is not compatible with (does not allow) the browser laying the page out sufficiently for printing in the same way. I haven't played with it enough yet but it may be possible simply to merely apply a couple of CSS properties to existing tags to allow the page to be rendered properly for print.

Edited by thebruce0
  • Upvote 1

Adding caches to the list is now really annoying

1. Remove existing GC because clicking in the field doesn't select it so pasting the cache GC code get's you GCGCXXXX
  2. I can't enter the entry
  3. You have to select from the search result list
  4. Clicking anywhere other than the search result list closes it and clicking the the field again doesn't re-open it.
  5. I can't click add without selecting from the search result list

As the lists are right now there are actually more drawbacks for me in using the new lists page than benefits.

So why don't I have the option here to go back to the previous page? Because I'd rather do that at the moment

• Helpful 1
On 10/15/2019 at 9:11 PM, Oceansazul said:

Today we released three updates to the new Lists:

• The ability to create a Pocket Query when viewing Another user's List
  • Significant GPX performance updates
  • Supporting "sticky" pagination so that each user can select their own default page size from the options of 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, or 500. When you select a page size, this will now become your default page size when you visit Lists.

pagesize.png

We have heard the request to show up to 1000 caches on a List Details page. With the additional geocache data points we are showing on the New Lists, the added ability to Sort List Details pages on all of these data points, and the ability to multi-select geocaches to Add to a new or existing List, we have reduced the maximum page size to 500 geocaches at a time to support List performance. 

Sorry to hear that :( I don't need any of these new options, as my workflow simply is different, but I do use 1000 as default for my lists. The only thing that would also help me is the option to checkmark all found/archived caches. That's pretty much it. So being able to only show 500 at a time is a back draw for my kind of usage. I would even "pay the performance toll" if I'd still could get the full list.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
On 10/16/2019 at 10:50 PM, HHL said:

Hans

Because I'm not using a single of these new features? ;-)

I'm using lists mainly for my solves mysteries, as a proof for challenges I've found and in some cases for caches I want to do at some point. No need for me to somehow sort these as I either don't care after creating the lists or just use them as basis for a PQ. I always use the "show 1000 caches" option and roughly the only new option that would make sense for me, would be an (half) automated check of found/archived caches. That's it. But the only change I would get at the moment is a maximum of 500 caches to be shown and as far as I understood that number isn't sticky as it was in the old lists.

I'm mainly working with GSAK, so I do need the lists just as a prestage for doing the work in there, that's why I don't need all these features. Only deleting unneeded caches from lists could have some more options. That't all I might use in addition to how it works now.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, monsterbox said:

Only deleting unneeded caches from lists could have some more options

That all could be done with a GSAK macro. Personally, I have never reviewed my lists. All is done by GSAK (bulk adding caches, deleting archived and found caches, filter the database by list's content). I really do not understand these rants against additional features when the ranting people still not use those features at all. Bullying?

Hans

2 minutes ago, HHL said:

That all could be done with a GSAK macro. Personally, I have never reviewed my lists. All is done by GSAK (bulk adding caches, deleting archived and found caches, filter the database by list's content). I really do not understand these rants against additional features when the ranting people still not use those features at all. Bullying?

Hans

Sorry, but you don't know my workflow so how could you judge it?

It already has been said by someone else... In the old view you could easily see a found or archived cache. Now you can't. In the old view I was able to have ONE page with all the caches. So just going through and check the specific caches was an easy task, took me just a few seconds. Now I would need to have a way closer look to the icons, if they have a smiley or not. Don't know exactly about archived caches yet, might be even harder.

And just because YOU are using GSAK in a specific way doesn't mean that I need to use it the same way. You posted the link to a "delete" macro, nice, but I would never use it. Simply because my GSAK usage model differs from yours. So why should I be happy if a new "feature" simply breaks my workflow? Just because someone had some nice ideas and though they would suit everybody? Sorry, but no, not really ;-)

Don't get me wrong, I don't care about additional features (that I might not use at all), but I do care about things that got lost/broken while doing new stuff. That's it.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

You have certainly ruined the list function.  I hate that you don't show me all 1000.  I hate it doesn't go back to where I was on the list when I click on a cache and return.  I hate that you don't clearly differentiate between archived and disabled (the archived used to be a different color) so I can quickly spot which ones I want to look at.  The ones I've found are also hard to see since the smiley face is not very prominent (you used to make them a different color).  I'm sure somebody had a good reason, but I have no idea what it was.  Please put the old useful features back.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 3
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, monsterbox said:

It already has been said by someone else... In the old view you could easily see a found or archived cache.

But you could not see whether the cache was disabled or archived. Now you can remove archived caches straight away. Total effort is less with the new version it is just a little different but manageable. Slow response to checkboxes annoys me. I can't understand why it is so slow.

Edited by arisoft
1 hour ago, arisoft said:

But you could not see whether the cache was disabled or archived. Now you can remove archived caches straight away. Total effort is less with the new version it is just a little different but manageable. Slow response to checkboxes annoys me. I can't understand why it is so slow.

Wrong. Archived caches have been shown in red color while deactived have been shown in blue. And I thought that there's no selection for all archived yet? I believed this just to be a wish from different people?

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, monsterbox said:

Wrong. Archived caches have been shown in red color while deactived have been shown in blue. And I thought that there's no selection for all archived yet? I believed this just to be a wish from different people?

For me both were presented by strikethrough font. Maybe I am colorblind? :D

• Funny 1

It seems that the default sort order for your Favorites list is done alphabetically.  That is probably the least interesting way to sort the list.  Ideally you should be able to sort it based on any of the columns in the list, but if you only had one to choose from, I would probably pick it based on the date you found the cache, with the most recent ones listed first.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

Ich vermisse die Funktionen der Lesezeichenliste

Funde, deaktivierte Cache, und archiverte Cache Filtern.

Damit konnte man schnell alle Funde, deaktivierte Cache und archiverte Cache in der Liste suchen und löschen,  so auf den aktuellen Stand bringen.

Jetzt muss man sehr umständlich die gesammte Liste nach diesen Cache absuchen.

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 2