Release Notes (Website: Progressive release, Lists) - September 23, 2019

Release Notes (Website: Progressive release, Lists) - September 23, 2019

For the past several months, we’ve been hard at work improving the entire Lists experience on Geocaching.com. Aiming to make Lists not only more useful, but also easier and more enjoyable, we have completed an overhaul that we think you will love!

We recently began deploying this new Lists experience. It will slowly roll out to geocachers over a period up to 8 weeks. (More about that below.)

Here is a summary of what’s new, what’s changed, and what to expect with the new Lists Hub and Lists Details Pages:

New List Hub view

nB4zg_0RSQmPPwGtWIcJ3Xw7x80qaEv8yt52jLze

What’s new:

• Up top navigation : Quickly and easily locate and view your Lists, Favorites and Ignored Caches by using the navigation on top of the List Hub.
  • Key Actions such as Share, Create Pocket Query and Map are more visible, and easily selectable for each List.
  • New visualization displays the number of caches that you have found in each List.

As with the existing List Hub, you can still:

• Sort by each column name
  • Create a new List from this page

New List details view

QcIDM7STUiK5mMuonT-tJhtMp_yhK9-4IzSiHKMb

What’s new:

• Addition of new “Action Bar.” You can easily perform your favorite actions, such as Create Pocket Query, Send to GPX, Send to Garmin, Share, Copy, Map, and Delete. With the multi-select control, you can delete and add caches to a new or existing List. 
  • We’ve added more relevant data to this view. Now you can view and sort these columns:  Favorites, Size, Difficulty, Terrain, Last found, and Placed on.
  • New visualization shows the number of geocaches that you have found in each List.

As with the existing List details view, you can still:

• Add a description to your List
  • Edit the cache name by adding a personal description or nickname
  • Add or remove caches from the List
  • Delete the entire List

New Favorites view

JhMkY6FuHCb1vnJqYZOAA9djXYqpe5ylcLll33Fn

What’s new:

• The most impactful change is updating how you find your Favorites. Quickly click “Favorites” in the navigation control.
  • Modernized look and feel.
  • With the addition of the “Action Bar,” as well as the multi-select control, users can copy or share their Favorites.
  • Additional data columns added to the view—Total Favorites and Found date.
  • New visualization displaying the number of total available Favorite points, as well as the number of logs required to receive the next Favorite point.

When will you see the new List experience?

As mentioned above, we recently began deploying this feature. It will slowly roll out to geocachers over a period up to 8 weeks. This is to ensure a quality release with minimal bugs. You may see the new List experience today or you might not see it until the release is fully rolled out in late October.

Brendan (brendanjw) and Erin (Oceansazul) are watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

To hear more about the new Lists experience, listen to this episode of the Inside HQ podcast and find more information soon in the Geocaching Help Center.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Comments unrelated to the release may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3

I'm not getting the new experience yet, but it looks good based on the screenshots. A couple of things:

• One of the issues with the current experience is that the sorting of the lists in the list hub wasn't sticky. The current one always defaults to sort by the most recently modified, but a number of users wanted it to default to alphabetical (including myself). Will the sorting be sticky now?
  • The description on the Favorites tab doesn't seem to be worded quite right. The way I read it, it sounds like it's talking about caches that other people have awarded FPs to. A better first sentence might be:

This is a List of geocaches that you have awarded Favorite Points.

Any other feedback will have to wait until I start getting the new experience.

This sounds great! 

One key question about the new List Details view: Will you still be able to add a personal description for each list item? I use this notes feature a lot in my lists; very important. I don't see that mentioned in the writeup, just the ability to edit cache names and add an overall list description. 

Agree with Diamond Head that I'd love the ability to combine lists in a future release. 

• Upvote 1

I have a question about cache organisation in the list.

When I go anywhere further away from home I create a list of Mystery Caches, Multi-Caches and other solved or must-have geocaches. But I was never able to find all caches from the list, so after the trip (for example) only half of them has the "Found it" status. The question is, in the new experience will there be a possibility to quickly select all these found caches and delete them from the list? It is possible now to delete them, but you have to manually select each cache which is taking a decent amount of time. I guess the new experience could have such a quick-delete button or possibly a complex tool for selecting caches within the list.

Edited by sernikk
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, sernikk said:

I have a question about cache organisation in the list.

When I go anywhere further away from home I create a list of Mystery Caches, Multi-Caches and other solved or must-have geocaches. But I was never able to find all caches from the list, so after the trip (for example) only half of them has the "Found it" status. The question is, in the new experience will there be a possibility to quickly select all these found caches and delete them from the list? It is possible now to delete them, but you have to manually select each cache which is taking a decent amount of time. I guess the new experience could have such a quick-delete button or possibly a complex tool for selecting caches within the list.

I suspect there re a lot of us who use lists this way. Solved puzzles, to-do lists, etc. after each outing where I find these caches, I have to look through 999 caches and check off the ones I found... it would be excellent to have a button that says "check off all found caches" or "remove found caches".

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, sernikk said:

The question is, in the new experience will there be a possibility to quickly select all these found caches and delete them from the list? It is possible now to delete them, but you have to manually select each cache which is taking a decent amount of time. I guess the new experience could have such a quick-delete button or possibly a complex tool for selecting caches within the list.

A "Remove found caches" would be a nice bonus function. Never thought of that one...

10 hours ago, hydnsek said:

Will you still be able to add a personal description for each list item?

Yes. Though IMO it still needs some work.

image.png.4ed93a08ad5fe730fce11e04631990b7.png

• Upvote 2

I don't have the new List functionality yet, but from what I've been told, the personal description data is not sent via the API even for current lists. If that is accurate and the data is continuing to be available in the new functionality, the API should be enhanced to provide that info. 

20 minutes ago, Team DEMP said:

I don't have the new List functionality yet, but from what I've been told, the personal description data is not sent via the API even for current lists. If that is accurate and the data is continuing to be available in the new functionality, the API should be enhanced to provide that info. 

Agreed, it would be nice if Lists functionality would extend to the API.  As it is, to my knowledge too, a List acts like a collection caches, so if you download a list, you're really just downloading the cache data for included caches, like a PQ.  If HQ provided a new API function to include the actual native Bookmark List data, imagine how apps could make use of that additional feature...

9/24/2019 - 3:25 PM EDT

When I try to access the "My List" page I get an error.

An Error has occurred

We are unable to load the requested content

Error:

{}

Details:

{"componentStack": "\n in Cell\n in div\n in TdComponent\n in div\n in TrComponent\n in div\n in TrGroupComponent\n in div\n}

I have tried this on FireFox, Chrome and Edge all with the same results.  Please note I had just created a new list called "Asheville" with 10 cach locations.

This function was working just fine for me in Mid August.

Please let me know if there is any more detail you wold like me to provide.

Thanks,

Todd

On 9/23/2019 at 4:49 PM, Diamond Head said:

I would like to create lists from Pocket Queries and combine lists. Will these features be available soon?

One feature improvement we have made to the new Lists experience is that you can now add geocaches from one List to another List: 

1. On an existing List, select one or more caches on the List
2. Select "Add to List"
3. From the Add to List modal, you can add your selected geocaches to an existing List or create a new List with these geocaches.

addtolist1.png

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, HHL said:

It would be pretty cool to have a feature to bulk remove found and/or archived caches from the list. That way bookmark lists will become real todo lists.

Or maybe list-based PQs could filter the PQ list.

For example, if I could have a "found" PQ and an "unfound" PQ based on my "Night Caches" bookmark list, then I wouldn't need to maintain separate "Found Night Caches" and "Unfound Night Caches" bookmark lists.

3 minutes ago, niraD said:

For example, if I could have a "found" PQ and an "unfound" PQ based on my "Night Caches" bookmark list, then I wouldn't need to maintain separate "Found Night Caches" and "Unfound Night Caches" bookmark lists.

No, the remove should be done on the source (ie: the bookmark list). That way the BM list is still in current shape.

Edited by HHL
4 minutes ago, HHL said:
7 minutes ago, niraD said:

No, the remove should be done on the source (ie: the bookmark list). That way the BM list is still in current shape.

Suit yourself. I'd prefer to maintain a single list, and then use PQ filters to download various subsets of that list.

Thank you to those who have provided early feedback on the new List experience. Based on your input, in the next two weeks we are working to release the following improvements:

- Updating the personal cache description layout. We are working to show the full cache description, instead of just the first 150 characters, on the List Details 'table'

- Removing some white space on the List Details 'table'

- Adding functionality to make the page size on List Details views sticky

- Updating the format on the "Back to Top" arrow so it is more clear

- Several performance enhancements when handling large page sizes and actions

Thank you for providing your feedback.

• Upvote 1

I'm still not getting the new experience yet. Can someone who's getting it check whether list sorting is sticky?

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:45 PM, The A-Team said:
  • One of the issues with the current experience is that the sorting of the lists in the list hub wasn't sticky. The current one always defaults to sort by the most recently modified, but a number of users wanted it to default to alphabetical (including myself). Will the sorting be sticky now?
5 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

On the Favorites list page, there's a link "View your logs to apply Favorite points".  Link goes to all logs on Geocaches.

https://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1&lt=2/

It should almost certainly go to Found it! logs only.

- We have a bug ticket in to fix this. Thanks for reporting

5 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

On the lists themselves, please up the number of caches viewed from 10. I'd vote for a default of 50. 

- In our next release we plan to release "sticky" pagination so that each user can designate their own default page size. 

4 hours ago, Die Batzen said:

How about adding the Watchlist to the new Lists experience?

- We have added this request to the list of feature requests we are monitoring

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1
On 10/2/2019 at 11:05 PM, Oceansazul said:

- We have a bug ticket in to fix this. Thanks for reporting

- In our next release we plan to release "sticky" pagination so that each user can designate their own default page size. 

- We have added this request to the list of feature requests we are monitoring

Can we hope for sticky sorting as well (per list, if so - different lists require different sorting)?

• Upvote 1

Today we released several fixes and feature requests based on feedback we are receiving in the forums and from other user testing. This includes:

• Reducing white space in headers
  • Reducing white space in List tables
  • Showing edited cache descriptions across the entire List table width, to expose the full description and to reduce white space
  • Improving the 'Back to Top' icon for better visibility
  • Improving performance when managing large Lists
  • Updating the workflow for Deleting caches from a List
  • Fixing distance displays

Coming soon:

• Supporting "sticky" pagination so that each user can designate their own default page size
  • Adding the ability to create a Pocket Query when viewing Another user's List
  • Investigating a fix to be able to print Lists
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

I've just been added to the roll-out and have been doing a bit of playing. One thing I've noticed is that, for regular lists, I can change the sort order by clicking on any of the column headers, like this where I've sorted by Last Found date:

image.png.fdfe1722ccd3561a162a0463c4b61f3f.png

But when I go to the Favourites tab on the master list-of-lists, the only sort order is alphabetical, with none of the column headers clickable:

image.png.28c241638b98b35250d6df0946c62e2e.png

It would also be nice if the favourites list had some of the columns that a regular list has, particularly distance and D/T rating. Also Total Favourites is rather meaningless if you can't also see total finds.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

Please give us Back the ability to edit a bookmark Before we add it to a list. 
We used to be able to do that. It was a most iseful one step tool. Now it is at least 3 steps to edit a bookmark. It is maddening if you have a large list and have to paw through pages to find the cache you want to edit.
Please give us the ability to do it in one step again. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
13 hours ago, BlueMoth said:

Please give us Back the ability to edit a bookmark Before we add it to a list. 
We used to be able to do that. It was a most iseful one step tool. Now it is at least 3 steps to edit a bookmark. It is maddening if you have a large list and have to paw through pages to find the cache you want to edit.
Please give us the ability to do it in one step again. 

While I support this request because I wish it were still that way, are you aware that "right click" on "add to list" brings up choices that let you open the old page where you can still edit the bookmark before you put it in the list? (I haven't been "upgraded" yet, so forgive me if your comment is specific to something in this release that I don't know about.)

I have a list with caches in the Netherlands that require you to find one or multiple specific TB's: http://coord.info/BM31P9M

In the description I have put all the TB's per cache. This used to be turned into clickable links before, now I only see the text of the link, but it is no longer clickable.

Besides this issue, I really like the new list page. great work!

(Would be even better if it was possible to create lists of TB's...now you can only use the watchlist for this, but you can't make any distinction in this.)

• Helpful 1

I have some larger lists that I remove caches from once they are found. When selecting caches the bar that pops up with the option to "Delete from List" only appears at the top of the list. When pruning my list I usually work from the top down and thus have to scroll all the way back up to hit the delete button. Would it be possible to also add the "Delete from List" bar at the very bottom of the list of caches.

bar.thumb.JPG.49f6702931b148b2b2e9d1c10a768973.JPG

The little popup that appears asking for feedback on the lists has a limited character limit. I think you would get more detailed feedback if you increased the character limit or alternatively you could provide a link to this thread if people want to provide more feedback.

Really enjoying the new lists and impressed with the tweaks you've made to it already.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 9/27/2019 at 9:21 PM, HHL said:

It would be pretty cool to have a feature to bulk remove found and/or archived caches from the list.

I support this idea.

When viewing a list, it would be helpful, if I can see whether the cache has corrected coordinates or not (e.g. add the puzzle symbol to the cache icon).

I was thinking when I would like to change the name of a cache. One reason might be long cache names with a number at the end, like:

• Name to long to fit on Garmin display #01
  • Name to long to fit on Garmin display #02
  • Name to long to fit on Garmin display #03
  • Name to long to fit on Garmin display #04

I would change that to:

• #01 Name to long to fit on Garmin display
  • #02 Name to long to fit on Garmin display
  • #03 Name to long to fit on Garmin display
  • #04 Name to long to fit on Garmin display

so that the important part of the name is at the front.

Unfortunately when downloading the list as GPX (which is a nice feature!), the original names are used.

10 minutes ago, WolfHH said:

Unfortunately when downloading the list as GPX (which is a nice feature!), the original names are used.

That's what I would expect as the GPX files are build from the database. I'd prefer to have the original name with the PQ.

But the cache's bookmark comment might be copied as a part of your Personal Cache Note. That way the comment is part of the GPX file. ;-)

That would be a nice bookmark list enhancement if HQ considers implementing it. ;-)

Hans

Today we released three updates to the new Lists:

• The ability to create a Pocket Query when viewing Another user's List
  • Significant GPX performance updates
  • Supporting "sticky" pagination so that each user can select their own default page size from the options of 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, or 500. When you select a page size, this will now become your default page size when you visit Lists.

pagesize.png

We have heard the request to show up to 1000 caches on a List Details page. With the additional geocache data points we are showing on the New Lists, the added ability to Sort List Details pages on all of these data points, and the ability to multi-select geocaches to Add to a new or existing List, we have reduced the maximum page size to 500 geocaches at a time to support List performance. 

• Helpful 1

I absolutely hate it when Headquarters forces something new on me. I was just getting comfortable using lists and knew what to do with them.
This morning I see that the people who have nothing better to do but to create busy-work for themselves to maintain employment have changed the way that I view and use lists. I didn't even have a choice. I intensely dislike having to re-learn how to use tools when there was nothing wrong with it in the first place.
Headquarters has made other changes to the game so that anybody with an iPhone can find caches. There have been so many puzzle solvers created, and other programs to project lines and distances, that have resulted in fewer CO's creating geocaches that are made to make people think. Things have been dumb-downed, and we know why it is being done... to include more players (at $30/year). It's no longer a game, it's just a business.

Don't even get me started on the maps that freeze up when you zoom in on caches you have selected.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Oceansazul said:

We have heard the request to show up to 1000 caches on a List Details page. With the additional geocache data points we are showing on the New Lists, the added ability to Sort List Details pages on all of these data points, and the ability to multi-select geocaches to Add to a new or existing List, we have reduced the maximum page size to 500 geocaches at a time to support List performance.

Seems like an arbitrary justification for not allowing all possible items to be in one list. Is this temporary?

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Porkwatch said:

Headquarters has made other changes to the game so that anybody with an iPhone can find caches. There have been so many puzzle solvers created, and other programs to project lines and distances, that have resulted in fewer CO's creating geocaches that are made to make people think.

None of those tools were created by HQ, so I'm not sure why you're blaming HQ for them. The tools were created by cachers for other cachers.

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, Porkwatch said:

I absolutely hate it when Headquarters forces something new on me. I was just getting comfortable using lists and knew what to do with them.
This morning I see that the people who have nothing better to do but to create busy-work for themselves to maintain employment have changed the way that I view and use lists. I didn't even have a choice. I intensely dislike having to re-learn how to use tools when there was nothing wrong with it in the first place.
Headquarters has made other changes to the game so that anybody with an iPhone can find caches. There have been so many puzzle solvers created, and other programs to project lines and distances, that have resulted in fewer CO's creating geocaches that are made to make people think. Things have been dumb-downed, and we know why it is being done... to include more players (at $30/year). It's no longer a game, it's just a business.

Don't even get me started on the maps that freeze up when you zoom in on caches you have selected.

Even though you don't see or understand the reasons for a change, there may well be lots of reasons that make it important. This can be both internal reasons having to do with performance, code maintainability, continued availability of tools and so on as well as user-visible reasons that are not obvious in your particular use case but are for others where the old version was unworkable.

Frankly, expecting computer services to look exactly the same year out and year in is both a recipe for disappointment for yourself and (if some developer would listen) a hindrance to development.

Edited by pinkunicorn
  • Upvote 2