GPSMAP 64ST or 64SX?

macmaster77

I started geocaching about a year ago. I have an eTrex Touch 35t. I have big fingers and find working the touch screen a challenge. I've had my eye on the 64st for awhile since they have buttons and have had good reviews. Now that the 64sx is out, I'm not sure which one to get. My needs are simple, I only use it for geocaching. I just need it to get me from my starting point to the cache. I load my GPX files on the eTrex from the computer via pocket queries. I'm not looking for wifi or bluetooth. I plan to geocache in North America only. I see the 64st are on sale that that would be a bonus. I don't mind spending the money, but I don't want to waste it either. I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Edited by macmaster77
1 hour ago, macmaster77 said:

I started geocaching about a year ago. I have an eTrex Touch 35t. I have big fingers and find working the touch screen a challenge. I've had my eye on the 64st for awhile since they have buttons and have had good reviews. Now that the 64sx is out, I'm not sure which one to get. My needs are simple, I only use it for geocaching. I just need it to get me from my starting point to the cache. I load my GPX files on the eTrex from the computer via pocket queries. I'm not looking for wifi or bluetooth. I plan to geocache in North America only. I see the 64st are on sale that that would be a bonus. I don't mind spending the money, but I don't want to waste it either. I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Have you considered a 30x or what ever is the latest button version is? I've been using a 20x for a few years now and haven't felt any need to upgrade to a more expensive (complex?) model.

IMO. The eTrex 20x/30x screens are too small for older eyes. and a little more cumbersome than the GPSMAP series to operate.

As requested, between the 64st and 64sx: The 64sx gets additional satellite option Galileo and is preloaded with TopoActive mapping that will be updated for free on a regular basis. The 64st has the much older, infrequently updated 100K topo maps (most users replace with OSM maps) and no Galileo.

See the Specifications page Here.

It is up to you to decide if those improvements are worth the difference in price 8^)

Edited by Atlas Cached
7 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

IMO. The eTrex 20x/30x screens are too small for older eyes. and a little more cumbersome than the GPSMAP series to operate.

As requested, between the 64st and 64sx: The 64sx gets additional satellite option Galileo and is preloaded with TopoActive mapping that will be updated for free on a regular basis. The 64st has the much older, infrequently updated 100K topo maps (most users replace with OSM maps) and no Galileo.

See the Specifications page Here.

It is up to you to decide if those improvements are worth the difference in price 8^)

Thanks for getting back with me. Isn't the Galileo for use in Europe only? I personally don't use the maps that are built in. I rely on the compass heading. Thanks!

If it hasn't been deployed as such yet, Galileo should be a world-wide set of satellites just like the American GPS and Russian GLONASS systems. It'll just add a 3rd set of satellites to connect with.

Whether or not you use the built-in maps, the topoactive map that comes with the the new 64x series is more detailed than previous basemaps, and is routable out of the box. That's a pretty big draw. But also that the 64x series is current and thus will get better support from Garmin should you need it over the older 64 series.  So, between the 64 and 64x, I would still choose the 64x. Though the screen will be much nicer to look at on the 66s, if price isn't a factor.

Your best bet, though, is to go to REI or another outdoor store where you can try out one of these in your hand to make sure it is what you want and will meet your needs.

Edited by Mineral2

Galileo is a world wide navigation system, like GPS and GLONASS. 20 of 24 satellites already in full service, the other four in final stages of testing. Clocks on these satellites allow for better accuracy than GPS and GLONASS.

See GPSrChive > GNSS for more info.

Last time I was at an REI (last 30 days or so), all the GPSr were under locked glass case, and most were the plastic 'dummy' units that are a shell with a fake printed screen, and thus you can not really get a feel for how the units work....

5 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

Last time I was at an REI (last 30 days or so), all the GPSr were under locked glass case, and most were the plastic 'dummy' units that are a shell with a fake printed screen, and thus you can not really get a feel for how the units work...

Bummer. But if you ask an employee, will they pull out a demo unit for you to try?

I personally do not like to have to be moving to see my heading.

There are any number of potential scenarios where a true 3D compass is required (see Triangulation).

The 64x also does not have a Barometer, which is required for determining accurate elevation values, if that information is important for your activities. Nor does it include any wireless radios, including ANT+, which means no external sensors or wireless file sharing, etc.

8 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

Nor does it include any wireless radios, including ANT+, which means no external sensors or wireless file sharing, etc

Is that true? I could have sworn the base 64 had the ANT+ radio because I'm pretty sure I transferred some waypoints to one on a backpacking trip. But maybe it was a 64s.