found ammo can ready to be found, but not on map

theridgeway

hi all, thanks for reading...

I found an ammo can that appears to blatantly be a cache, but, it is not on the site - it could have been archived, or, belongs to another site/purpose, but, how can I find out if anything has been archived at this spot?   it's at 'rundle 8', which is here: 51.081223, -115.425955

there is a cache quite close by, GC3Y9QF, but I'm aware of this one and found it.  

can anyone help me, in case it was archived and I could log it anyway?

thanks very much,

theridgeway

7 minutes ago, theridgeway said:

I found an ammo can that appears to blatantly be a cache, but, it is not on the site - it could have been archived, or, belongs to another site/purpose, but, how can I find out if anything has been archived at this spot?   it's at 'rundle 8', which is here: 51.081223, -115.425955

there is a cache quite close by, GC3Y9QF, but I'm aware of this one and found it.  

thanks very much,

theridgeway

Could it be the final of a puzzle or multi?  

24 minutes ago, theridgeway said:

thanks very much,

theridgeway

Are there numbers, text, or a cache name on the box?  Is there anything on the cache log (cache info, previous signatures)?  Was anything inside the container?

I checked with my Reviewer account and didn't see any Published or Unpublished Listings near those coordinates or that  fit the description.  I saw 4 Puzzle caches within 2 miles, but the Finals are not really anywhere near those coordinates.

I noticed a handful of caches in the area with Archived Notes by the local Reviewer mentioning that permission is required for that area, so it might be someone tried but failed to get permission, and never bothered to submit a Listing page, or did make up a page and ended up changing it and using it for another submission at another location.

• Helpful 3
1 hour ago, DerDiedler said:

It could alos be part of a different game or another Geocaching provider.

Not to be listed @ geocaching.com doesn´t necessarily mean it´s not a geocache ;)

Right.  Plus, there are summit boxes, where one may log a visit to a peak.  A check of the signatures (especially, stories of the visit written by climbers) may solve the mystery.

• Upvote 1

A good example and reminder of why containers should be labelled. Cache code and CO's name for a start. Most of mine will have that as well as the cache name plus "www.geocaching.com" somewhere in/on it, and a stash note. Quite often I find containers with nothing marked either externally or internally with a blank piece of paper for a log. How often has a cacher (and in some cases a muggle) found something that could be a cache and has come to these pages to looking for an owner?

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, colleda said:

A good example and reminder of why containers should be labelled. Cache code and CO's name for a start.

Yep.  :)

When that pesky "Intro" app came out, and newbs were taking our ammo cans because "that's how I thought the game was played...", most were found because others saw the name of the cache and ours.

Most weren't "re-hidden" that well (laying at trail side), and folks were spotting them on the way to others. 

2 hours ago, colleda said:

A good example and reminder of why containers should be labelled. Cache code and CO's name for a start. Most of mine will have that as well as the cache name plus "www.geocaching.com" somewhere in/on it, and a stash note. Quite often I find containers with nothing marked either externally or internally with a blank piece of paper for a log. How often has a cacher (and in some cases a muggle) found something that could be a cache and has come to these pages to looking for an owner?

I agree that a lack of info will create confusion.  But in the case of the OP, the cache may be a summit box and not a "Geocaching.com" Geocache at all, or at least it doesn't seem to be listed on Geocaching.com.

For a cache I'm building, I have at times placed a slip of paper that "This is a prototype Geocache".  Maybe it will have a "Geocaching.com" sticker on it… not filled out.  I don't have a cache code until I've created the cache page, and then still might leave it generic until it's published.  I don't suggest that everybody do it that way.  It just saves me extra work in case I don't make it an Official Geocache.

Sometimes my prototype box is in place for the purpose of determining if muggles, or anyone, will find it without its coordinates.  Until the cache is active, I don't know if it will ever become so, I might change my mind and move the whole thing and change the whole plan.  And I sure don't want to re-do names and codes and themes.  After it's live on the site, I go make it more easily identifiable.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, colleda said:

All my caches are labelled in some way. For the Sistemas, it's generally a printed paper label stickytaped inside the lid like this one:

image.png.fe6973f9c3e381c7028f7fc0c3969d79.png

For my metal (or wooden) containers, I'll laminate the label and superglue it to the box, like this:

image.png.cb6580fc6f8b485814f0edd8f8201cf4.png

For the novelty caches where a label can't easily be attached to the outside, I put a label on the cover of the logbook:

image.png.e4773e226312713577df0064f2fa2434.png

So one way or another, there should be no doubt that the thing you've found is my cache and which one it is.

• Upvote 1
On 9/21/2019 at 1:02 AM, barefootjeff said:

Or it could be one awaiting publication. Does it have a logbook in it? If there are decipherable names and dates, you could take note of them then check the profiles of those cachers to see what caches they found on those dates.

it's quite old and worn with no GC code in it, but some signatures - worth a try!

On 9/21/2019 at 1:03 AM, kunarion said:

Are there numbers, text, or a cache name on the box?  Is there anything on the cache log (cache info, previous signatures)?  Was anything inside the container?

yes there were signatures but no GC code etc - I have a feeling that this isn't part of this official site but it just a manual scavenger hunt out there - just worried I would miss one!  thanks for replying...

On 9/21/2019 at 7:40 AM, Nomex said:

I checked with my Reviewer account and didn't see any Published or Unpublished Listings near those coordinates or that  fit the description.  I saw 4 Puzzle caches within 2 miles, but the Finals are not really anywhere near those coordinates.

I noticed a handful of caches in the area with Archived Notes by the local Reviewer mentioning that permission is required for that area, so it might be someone tried but failed to get permission, and never bothered to submit a Listing page, or did make up a page and ended up changing it and using it for another submission at another location.

appreciate you taking a look into it - I suspect it's just part of another manual hunt that is unrelated to this site, so I needn't worry about logging anything online if that is the case....thanks for replying.

On 9/21/2019 at 7:51 AM, DerDiedler said:

It could alos be part of a different game or another Geocaching provider.

Not to be listed @ geocaching.com doesn´t necessarily mean it´s not a geocache ;)

yes I suspect it's just part of another manual hunt that is unrelated to this site, so I needn't worry about logging anything online if that is the case....thanks for replying.

On 9/21/2019 at 9:11 AM, kunarion said:

Right.  Plus, there are summit boxes, where one may log a visit to a peak.  A check of the signatures (especially, stories of the visit written by climbers) may solve the mystery.

I think this is exactly what they are - I found two and they just happened to resemble a standard cache so much...

On 9/21/2019 at 6:15 PM, colleda said:

no it's a good point - I think I've solved this one but you have a good idea...thanks for replying!

On 9/21/2019 at 8:18 PM, kunarion said:

I agree that a lack of info will create confusion.  But in the case of the OP, the cache may be a summit box and not a "Geocaching.com" Geocache at all, or at least it doesn't seem to be listed on Geocaching.com.

For a cache I'm building, I have at times placed a slip of paper that "This is a prototype Geocache".  Maybe it will have a "Geocaching.com" sticker on it… not filled out.  I don't have a cache code until I've created the cache page, and then still might leave it generic until it's published.  I don't suggest that everybody do it that way.  It just saves me extra work in case I don't make it an Official Geocache.

Sometimes my prototype box is in place for the purpose of determining if muggles, or anyone, will find it without its coordinates.  Until the cache is active, I don't know if it will ever become so, I might change my mind and move the whole thing and change the whole plan.  And I sure don't want to re-do names and codes and themes.  After it's live on the site, I go make it more easily identifiable.

summit box - yep I strongly suspect that's what this is - I've not been in the area much so I just haven't caught on to similar games that may be on the go....thanks for replying.