Caches found in 24 hours

11 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

All you'd have to go on here are peoples' word for it.

There's no way to know when someone actually found the cache from the logs, unless they manually enter the time in the text.

I can sit down today and enter a month's worth of finds, but if I don't change the date, then they're all today!

Too bad there isn't a down check button for posts.  A "nice" way to imply that most claims are lies.  But there's a lot of that around here, start with premise that everyone is lying and then go from there...

Most of the people I know that have gone for a high count day kept very good records of what they did so it doesn't really matter what you believe about them.

• Upvote 2
10 minutes ago, The Jester said:

Too bad there isn't a down check button for posts.  A "nice" way to imply that most claims are lies.  But there's a lot of that around here, start with premise that everyone is lying and then go from there...

Most of the people I know that have gone for a high count day kept very good records of what they did so it doesn't really matter what you believe about them.

Go peddle that somewhere else. There was no implication that anybody was lying.

I said that you can't tell when a cache was found from the logs unless the finder types a time. True.

Lots of people don't pay much attention to that date and don't scrupulously change it with every log. True.

Go insult someone else. Didn't work.

• Upvote 2

One we sometimes try to keep up with that has  very-high numbers keeps very good records because there are skeptics.  :)

But unfortunately, for every one like them, there's a coupla dozen that are more-than-"creative" with a find count.

- There is a lengthy thread that explains that nicely...    ;)

In fact, it's bad enough that  a cacher from NJ noted that we were the only ones from all of an events attendees that didn't log a cache not even there.

• Helpful 1
16 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Go peddle that somewhere else. There was no implication that anybody was lying.

I said that you can't tell when a cache was found from the logs unless the finder types a time. True.

Lots of people don't pay much attention to that date and don't scrupulously change it with every log. True.

Go insult someone else. Didn't work.

Mistakes happen, true - that is true about every cache find, so why did you have to bring it up in a discussion about highest find claims?  If someone is not keeping good dates about finds, are they the ones claiming high find rates?  The only ones who mess with dates to claim high find rates would be lying - on purpose.  So what you wrote does imply that some claims are lies.

32 minutes ago, The Jester said:

Mistakes happen, true - that is true about every cache find, so why did you have to bring it up in a discussion about highest find claims?  If someone is not keeping good dates about finds, are they the ones claiming high find rates?  The only ones who mess with dates to claim high find rates would be lying - on purpose.  So what you wrote does imply that some claims are lies.

That's a nice ability you have there; to be able to tell me what I was thinking when I wrote something.

Now, try going back and re-reading what I wrote, as if I didn't have an agenda.

I wasn't talking about 'mistakes'; that was you.
I wasn't talking about 'lying'; that was you.
I wasn't talking about people with high find counts 'messing with dates'; that was you.

You may be scrupulous about changing the date on every log, or making sure that you file live from GZ every time so that everything appears in the exact order in which it happened, but outside of the fifty or so of us forum-hounds, I'd bet that the VAST majority of cachers out there just don't sweat the small stuff.

I'm out.

• Upvote 3

Well, this thread quickly descended into a bickering match. Crikey.:drama:

I realise there are those who may manipulate logs, cheating only themselves.

Having found a few of the Compass 001 - 360 series in South West England (see GC5H2BK for further info) and cachers comments about finding as many as possible ..... I just wondered, not planning to try myself.

But hey, let's not get worked up about it.:yikes:

Can this thread be locked?

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

I think it depends on what you mean by "found".

There are power trails in the US where caches are placed every 161 metres and people get a friend to drive a car whilst they just jump out and sign as many as possible.

I'm not sure whether that is geocaching in the sense most of us think of it as, e.g. you need to actually navigate to a point and there has to be some effort to find the cache. It also sounds dull as hell.

I do like the stories of the most caches people have done in one day that actually involve some level of challenge. Having said that, I always cache with my four year old so there is no hurrying, but that's a lot of the fun. We can get double digits if we take a bike and just hop on and off, although we try not to use roads so caches can be more sparse.

• Helpful 1
21 minutes ago, daddybeth said:

I do like the stories of the most caches people have done in one day that actually involve some level of challenge. Having said that, I always cache with my four year old so there is no hurrying, but that's a lot of the fun. We can get double digits if we take a bike and just hop on and off, although we try not to use roads so caches can be more sparse.

I prefer stories of the most days someone has taken to complete one cache. I think my best is four days for GC80RZQ, each requiring a train trip down to Sydney harbour, next would be my three days of hiking and paddling to complete GC6T5PZ. Those are the sort of caches I most fondly remember (or want to be remembered for), not the 22 P&Gs I found at a mega which the statistics page insists was my "best" day.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
9 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

I prefer stories of the most days someone has taken to complete one cache. I think my best is four days for GC80RZQ, each requiring a train trip down to Sydney harbour, next would be my three days of hiking and paddling to complete GC6T5PZ. Those are the sort of caches I most fondly remember (or want to be remembered for), not the 22 P&Gs I found at a mega which the statistics page insists was my "best" day.

True, unfortunately in the UK there are very few such caches because everywhere is relatively accessible. I'm looking forward to next time abroad being able to try some of the really remote caches that do require hours or days to get to.

The highest D/T I've had so far was T4.5 and that was... to climb a tree. And not rope/ladders tree, just a tree where you had to swing yourself up albeit for someone fairly strong. GC D/T scales are different here. I had a log today with someone complaining that one of my caches should be T3 because you have to duck down and walk 2m across a fallen tree above a river to retrieve it. And genuinely, they were probably right compared to nearby caches.

My next holiday will be somewhere with a well reviewed 5/5.

Edited by daddybeth
2 hours ago, Glen Falcon Terrors said:

Well, this thread quickly descended into a bickering match. Crikey.:drama:

I'm not surprised. There's often controversy surrounding claims of high-number days.

niraD's question, while posed somewhat in jest, is a legitimate one. It's well-known that there are what I call "questionable logging tactics", which includes Three Cache Monte and Leapfrogging. These are most often used when trying to get a really high number of finds in a day, so it does matter whether your original question is taking these tactics into account or discounting them.

But hey, let's not get worked up about it.:yikes:

You do know where you are, right? It brings to mind the paraphrased quote, "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! These are the Geocaching Forums!"

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 2
6 hours ago, niraD said:

How do you define "found"?

2 hours ago, daddybeth said:

Great minds think alike, eh?

6 hours ago, The Jester said:

Yeah, but were they really geocaching?

Or were they playing some other game?

1 hour ago, niraD said:

Were they returning the geocaches to their original locations?

Probably not, by the time they did the power trail who knows where those containers started, but they did put it back where found - which is rare these days, how many caches have I found that have 'drifted' from the original spot - the worst was when the wife and I both pulled out the "cache" from spots thirty feet apart - all done by people playing geocaching.

This little conversation also proves what I said earlier - start figuring they are lying and go from there.  Do you ask everybody who finds caches if "they are really geocaching, or playing some other game?"  Nobody has made a claim of any numbers, and already people are casting doubt on anything that might be said - so I'm not really surprised no one has made a number claim, why "ask" for the abuse.

4 hours ago, The Jester said:

This little conversation also proves what I said earlier - start figuring they are lying and go from there.

Not necessarily lying. Perhaps just talking about something completely different than what I'm talking about when I discuss geocaching.

4 hours ago, The Jester said:

Do you ask everybody who finds caches if "they are really geocaching, or playing some other game?"

I bring it up with the topic of extremely high 24-hour find counts comes up.

I've heard one account of an individual on a motorcycle who got several hundred on a numbers trail, with no armchair logs (divide and conquer doesn't work with only one person), and no three cache monte (every cache signed and replaced as found). But many extremely high 24-hour find counts (including those of people I know personally) involve taking "shortcuts" like these, which IMHO are no longer geocaching.

• Upvote 5
11 hours ago, daddybeth said:

There are power trails in the US where caches are placed every 161 metres and people get a friend to drive a car whilst they just jump out and sign as many as possible.

I'm not sure whether that is geocaching in the sense most of us think of it as, e.g. you need to actually navigate to a point and there has to be some effort to find the cache. It also sounds dull as hell.

I think my definition of 'found' would be actually signing the log in the cache container.

People then have different definitions of how you find them (i.e. friend driving car for many or hiking / canoeing for four days to find one) and if I recall correctly, last years GIFF had a film on this subject. Each to their own I suppose.

Not returning caches to their original hiding point happens whether people are looking for 1 or a 100, is wrong whichever way you look at it.

(Maybe I'll hold back from starting another topic ..... Is it ethical to find a Mystery / Puzzle cache without actually solving the puzzle? )

5 hours ago, Glen Falcon Terrors said:

Not returning caches to their original hiding point happens whether people are looking for 1 or a 100, is wrong whichever way you look at it.

For what it's worth, there's a difference between unintended cache migration and very intentional three cache monte.

On 9/20/2019 at 5:50 PM, Glen Falcon Terrors said:

Does anyone have details of the greatest number of caches found in a day / 24 hours for England, Europe and USA?

Forget about that (see discussion in this topic): It is not about the numbers!

It is about fun, being with friends, being outside, being active.... not about being world champion or something like that.

And don't forget: geocaching is nothing where you should compare with others.

Have fun! (That is more important than finding one cache after the other...)

Jochen

2 hours ago, Dread_Pirate_Bruce said:

No one answered the question in the OP.

Before the creation of modern numbers trails, people actually cared about the greatest number of caches found. A record numbers run took planning and effort to pull off, and that was interesting.

Now that modern numbers trails exist, the greatest number of caches "found" is limited only by one's willingness to take "shortcuts" like the three cache monte, or any of the divide-and-conquer versions of armchair logging. A record numbers run is no longer interesting to anyone other than the people increasing their find count.

Edited by niraD
  • Upvote 1

How about instead of trying to define "a find", which is not defined objectively beyond a Found It log posted to geocaching.com that hasn't been deleted, maybe someone can just provide stats?

What's the highest number of Found It logs posted to the same date for the same account within England, Europe, or the UK?  (interestingly, it can't be by user since there's no 'location' for the user; but it would have to be by found it logs on caches listed in those regions, which means a user might have find logs on caches outside those regions on that same date that don't get counted - but then which region would that day-count total be applicable to if including those others?)

And then maybe you could ask the people with those day counts how they cached that day - the question that always ends in arguing when right/wrong enters the picture. And instead of boldly stating "but that's not geocaching" if you don't agree, just track separate stats for the types of geocaching strategies employed. Then someone looking at the stats can decide for themselves. THAT would be most informative a statistical analysis - per the OP's question.

ETA: And a WHOLE lot more work.

Edited by thebruce0
  • Helpful 1
On 9/21/2019 at 1:50 AM, Glen Falcon Terrors said:

Does anyone have details of the greatest number of caches found in a day / 24 hours for England, Europe and USA?

It's a question often asked. I wondered about the same thing when I started out and thought my 16 in one day was a massive effort.

I think that your question is unanswerable. I am guessing that the answer you envisage would be finds by a single individual physically going from cache to cache to cache and signing every log in one 24 hour period. With the advent of massive Power Trails and group caching using various methods, as intimated by thebruce0 and others) cachers are claiming thousands in a day, which to me is totally fake but you wont convince them of that.

I would like to see a legitimate most found in a day by an individual but you'd need a Guinness Book of Records oversight for that and that's not about to happen real soon. Muse - or has it?

There is a local cacher here with 428 solo finds. That's a pretty good effort in anyone's book. I have no idea how it compares with others.

On 9/20/2019 at 10:45 PM, daddybeth said:

True, unfortunately in the UK there are very few such caches because everywhere is relatively accessible. I'm looking forward to next time abroad being able to try some of the really remote caches that do require hours or days to get to.

Around Didcot, maybe. but travel  further afield in the UK (mostly to the hilly places north and west of you) and there's plenty of relatively inaccessible adventure on offer : here's  a tiny random sample of caches in locations that need to be taken seriously  ...

Jura , and Jura again , Northumberland , Lake District , WalesMid WalesGod's own county , A lighthouse off Cornwall

On 9/20/2019 at 5:50 PM, Glen Falcon Terrors said:

On 10/22/2019 at 1:28 PM, Dread_Pirate_Bruce said:

No one answered the question in the OP.

I'll bite.

It's difficult to verify this with any accuracy, because there is no way to verify just by statistics whether someone honestly found X caches in a day, or simply logged them online.

Even if we went out to pull X log sheets from the field, how were they logged?  Did one person drive from cahe to cache solo, find every cache, sign every log, and return every container themselves?  Was it a team effort?  Did they play "three cache monte," swapping containers and signing the log as they moved between caches?

All that said, the last time folks really used to brag about this was about ten years ago, starting with a series of posts by @ventura_kids.  There were a few potentially legit threads about it, and a few mock threads as well - just search this forum for "world record" and you'll find 'em.  Looks like the last public claim was 1,270.

There is this corporate saying "I survived a meeting that should have been an emal".

Well, I survived a thread that should have been a click...

As for my personal feelings of someone who did a powertrail once with the result of 613 (we did only 18h, without cache switching, one car only and with assigned roles), I'd say I wouldn't believe more than 1200-1500 a day. Optimization has its limits.

24DE.thumb.png.908000695bcf82090f185015b3d016b7.png

24UK.thumb.png.8b2445f2716f3ae60b77a1c775da7538.png

24USA.thumb.png.5d5fae1a9ddd41d724215407a621edac.png

Edited by TheVoytekBear
  • Helpful 1
21 minutes ago, TheVoytekBear said:

As for my personal feelings of someone who did a powertrail once with the result of 613 (we did only 18h, without cache switching, one car only and with assigned roles), I'd say I wouldn't believe more than 1200-1500 a day. Optimization has its limits.

Hence, we have a whole thread, rather than just a click...

51 minutes ago, Alkhalikoi said:

5,578 in a day?  Every 15.5 seconds?  At 161 meters, that's about 22mph for 24 hours, non-stop.  

On 9/20/2019 at 3:44 PM, The A-Team said:

niraD's question, while posed somewhat in jest, is a legitimate one. It's well-known that there are what I call "questionable logging tactics", which includes Three Cache Monte and Leapfrogging.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:47 PM, niraD said:
On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:55 PM, Alkhalikoi said:

5,578 in a day?  Every 15.5 seconds?  At 161 meters, that's about 22mph for 24 hours, non-stop.  

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:44 PM, The A-Team said:

niraD's question, while posed somewhat in jest, is a legitimate one. It's well-known that there are what I call "questionable logging tactics", which includes Three Cache Monte and Leapfrogging.

Yep, there's obviously some shenanigans going on there. My money's on either extreme leapfrogging or outright bogus logging. I bet they go around bragging about how many caches they got in a day, too...

Interesting, I just looked up the profile in question and they double-logged each of the ET Highway caches. So maybe it's just lazy logging (ie. they accidentally bulk-logged the caches twice but are too lazy to clean up the mistake). Still, I question any claims to finding the entire ET Highway in one day with no shenanigans or "questionable logging tactics".

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
5 hours ago, The A-Team said:

I question any claims to finding the entire ET Highway in one day with no shenanigans or "questionable logging tactics".

My son and 3 buddies did the ET trail a few years ago, when they were in their early to mid 20's - it took them 3 days, and their highest find count was 794 in one day.  They had a routine, a rhythm, and they used a stamp for the 4 of them instead of signing each logsheet, but they did it legitimately as far as I know.  They said it was mind-numbing after the first 100 or so, when the novelty of doing it wore off and the reality of how long it would take to actually accomplish it set in.  But they stuck with it and did it as part of an epic journey that took them eventually to GS Headquarters for the block party that year.  Something for the memory books!

Me?  I'll never come close; my highest for one day is 40, and that was tough!  I'll typically grab a half dozen or so on a hike, or we'll just go urban caching (lots of that where I live) and after 10 or 12, we're done!  But then, I'm not about #'s, I enjoy puzzles, I enjoy the searches (most times), learning about local history and unknown stuff via Multi's and EC's - Wherigo's are fun when they work, and two new Adventure labs just popped up fairly close by, so I'll explore at least one of them soon.

When it stops being fun and becomes a chore, and you keep doing it just for the numbers, it's not a hobby anymore, it's an obsession!  And when you have to resort to "questionable logging tactics" to get those numbers, well, that's just not how I want to play this.  My numbers are REAL, and reflect what I have done while pursuing this hobby.  What others do, for whatever reasons, is up to them.  I'm not in a competition with anyone!

Edited by CAVinoGal
Spelling corrections
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
13 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

My son and 3 buddies did the ET trail a few years ago, when they were in their early to mid 20's - it took them 3 days, and their highest find count was 794 in one day.  They had a routine, a rhythm, and they used a stamp for the 4 of them instead of signing each logsheet, but they did it legitimately as far as I know.  They said it was mind-numbing after the first 100 or so, when the novelty of doing it wore off and the reality of how long it would take to actually accomplish it set in.  But they stuck with it and did it as part of an epic journey that took them eventually to GS Headquarters for the block party that year.  Something for the memory books!

I'll 2nd that, and the rest. Our group of 4 managed to get 900 on the nose on the 2nd day, from pre-dawn to post-dusk. It can be done, but it is a marathon, and it has its humps and hurdles just like a marathon. The 'mind-numbing' is an essential hurdle to get past for a task like that :) And absolutely it provided an amazing experience and memories to look back on.

...but (using our same strategy) I couldn't see a one-day count over maybe 1200ish, assuming a midnight to midnight run.

If there was double-logging on that high count day, somehow I feel like if that cacher was informed and asked to 'clean up' the log history and remove the doubles, they'd be reluctant. They've got to know their statistical 'placement' by now, and probably don't want to give it up, even knowing it's illegitimate.  :P  HQ would probably have to step in, and that likely won't happen

• Upvote 1

Who was saying that this number is a "found in a day" number?

It could as well be, that this was an account splitting and the one was logging all his/her previous founds on one day.  I have seen this quite often.

2 hours ago, Mausebiber said:

Who was saying that this number is a "found in a day" number?

It could as well be, that this was an account splitting and the one was logging all his/her previous founds on one day.  I have seen this quite often.

But they should be logging them the date found, not date logging - just as illegitimate as double logging.

• Helpful 1
On 9/21/2019 at 2:29 AM, niraD said:

Not necessarily lying. Perhaps just talking about something completely different than what I'm talking about when I discuss geocaching.

I bring it up with the topic of extremely high 24-hour find counts comes up.

I've heard one account of an individual on a motorcycle who got several hundred on a numbers trail, with no armchair logs (divide and conquer doesn't work with only one person), and no three cache monte (every cache signed and replaced as found). But many extremely high 24-hour find counts (including those of people I know personally) involve taking "shortcuts" like these, which IMHO are no longer geocaching.

I've seen a few of the logs from that motorcycle guy too.  If I recall, the number of finds was around 750 or so.  

• Helpful 1
On 11/18/2019 at 4:58 PM, CAVinoGal said:

They said it was mind-numbing after the first 100 or so, when the novelty of doing it wore off

I go on caching trips with a couple of friends about once a year.  We did the first 25 on the ET trail and that was plenty. 

If I ever make another pass at some giant , I'll probably just do the Fibonacci sequence.  0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377, 610, 987, 1597, 2584... and call it a day.

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
4 hours ago, Alkhalikoi said:

If I ever make another pass at some giant , I'll probably just do the Fibonacci sequence.  0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377, 610, 987, 1597, 2584... and call it a day.

This year we traveled I40 and saw some the Route 66 caches.  It seemed about every 50th cache reached the FP limit to make our list of possible finds.  If we travel that route again - with the extra time we didn't have this year - that may be what we'll do (1 to start, then 50, 100, 150...).