Accessing Archived Caches

Team_DV

Apologies if this has already been addressed, but it seems that unless you already have a now-archived cached saved (stored) in c:geo, you cannot access archived caches by searching for it in geocaching.com. For example, when simply searching for the cache using its GC code in the home screen, it will no longer come up in the search results.

I hope I'm incorrect and if so, please direct me how to access archived caches using the site.

Thanks,

Yes, and the 'advanced search' and 'search map' results only return non-archived caches, so if you view an archived cache's listing, clicking "View Larger Map" will result in nothing. Unfortunately I can't remember the url structure to manually go to the 'browse map' centered on the archived cache with the icon visible (which I believe "View Larger Map" used to do; but now I can't remember, like GC is rewriting history, heh)

Right now to view the map at the cache's location you can use the "Geocaching.com Map" link left of the minimap on the listing to center on its coordinates, but it won't show the archived cache's icon.

57 minutes ago, Team_DV said:

Apologies if this has already been addressed, but it seems that unless you already have a now-archived cached saved (stored) in c:geo, you cannot access archived caches by searching for it in geocaching.com. For example, when simply searching for the cache using its GC code in the home screen, it will no longer come up in the search results.

I hope I'm incorrect and if so, please direct me how to access archived caches using the site.

Thanks,

If you're asking how to search for archived caches when you don't know the GC code, this might help.

• Upvote 1

Or, you can start off by searching the cache listings of local COs, especially if they've been around for a while. But if you intend running out to find them then be prepared for a lot of disappointment and wasted time as most will likely not be there any more as the (possibly) most common reason for archiving is that the cache is gone.

• Helpful 1