Not a geocacher... not a muggle...

GeoElmo6000

3 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Geoaware muggle: one who does not cache, but does know what caching is.

6 minutes ago, niraD said:

Except that "geoaware" already has a different meaning.

Indeed it does.  We haven't trademarked it or anything, but I wouldn't consider our group name for earthcache reviewers as an apt qualifier for a subset of muggles.

(No offense to @LizzyRN's husband or @Moun10Bike's snuggle muggle intended, of course.)

Edited by geoawareUSA9
  • Funny 1
15 hours ago, daddybeth said:

More to the point, what do you call the people who you think are geocaching but when you talk to them you realise they're actually just shuffling around near a cache on their smartphone? <_<

Depends. Are they playing Pokemon or Harry Potter, or just snapchatting?

The December 2014 issue of FTF Magazine ran a well written article by GeoJo24 titled "Fellow Travelers."  She makes a sound case for why she calls her non-cacher/non-muggle friends and relatives "fellow travelers."  I like that term.  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://ftfgeocacher.com/FTFV56.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiLnqfa5-LkAhVsc98KHUcEAdgQFjAAegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw1yS3Omc8qE99axBncz13XC

Edited by _Kilroy_
Added link to article
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1
On 9/21/2019 at 3:48 PM, _Kilroy_ said:

The December 2014 issue of FTF Magazine ran a well written article by GeoJo24 titled "Fellow Travelers."  She makes a sound case for why she calls her non-cacher/non-muggle friends and relatives "fellow travelers."  I like that term.  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://ftfgeocacher.com/FTFV56.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiLnqfa5-LkAhVsc98KHUcEAdgQFjAAegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw1yS3Omc8qE99axBncz13XC

Both the origin and the most famous usage of that term have strong political connotations. I would not use it.

• Upvote 2

On Saturday we - that's me, OS Junior (non-premium account) and Mrs OS (comes on most weekend walks but not all) found 22 caches that took me past 6400 and OS Junior to 3995. We wondered how many the long-suffering Mrs OS would have, if she had an account. Probably 2500-3000. She always finds the hardest ones - on this walk the 22 were quite evenly split between who saw them first. She's never used a smartphone or GPS in her life! She'd be delighted to have a term to describe her role, I'm sure...

On 9/21/2019 at 2:21 PM, JL_HSTRE said:
On 9/20/2019 at 11:19 PM, daddybeth said:

More to the point, what do you call the people who you think are geocaching but when you talk to them you realise they're actually just shuffling around near a cache on their smartphone? <_<

Depends. Are they playing Pokemon or Harry Potter, or just snapchatting?

Sometimes they are looking for...companionship.  Which can make for some awkward encounters.

3 hours ago, hzoi said:

Sometimes they are looking for...companionship.  Which can make for some awkward encounters.

I once arrived a park to geocache and a fellow parked nearby. I didn't recognize him (which isn't unusual), but I got the mistaken impression they recognized me from geocaching or school. It turned out it was a muggle stranger meeting someone from the internet who mistook me for the fellow he was supposed to meet.

I apologized for the misunderstanding, but I held up my GPS and insisted I was there for other purposes. After about 10 minutes they drove off, dejected having apparently been stood up. 

Edited by JL_HSTRE