Garmin Dakota 10 Problem

Lillme

Hi,

We are new to this, only 27 found as of now.

We bought a second hand Dakota 10, which works fine we think, takes us where we want to go.

However the memory is completely full and we can't upload our next caches to look for, or anything else.

It is not full of the previous owners pics, way points or searches. All are empty.

However, the following Disc Image Files are all showing as 'Corrupted, cannot mount'. They are using up most of the memory.

gmaptz (570 kb)

-gmapsupp (16 kb)

gmapsupp (636 Mb)

gmapbmap (19 Mb)

OSM Roadmap England (70 Mb)

Question, can I delete these?

Any help would be very much appreciated by two teenage girls struggling here.

And why does it state Basic Member under our Avatar box. We're Premium as home page confirms.........................

Edited by Lillme

No, you should not delete these as they are the maps you see on your GPS.

Although you could delete OSM roadmap if you really need the space.

gmapsupp.img is also a map that is added by the user. We can not tell from the name what map it is. If you list all the maps you can enable on the map-screen of your Dakota you can deduce which map it is.

Does the Dakota say it is full, or is the disk full when you try to add something from your PC ?

Check the map \Garmin\GPX  on your Dakota; everything in that map (these are the caches that are saved to the GPS) can be deleted.

4 hours ago, Kalkendotters said:

No, you should not delete these as they are the maps you see on your GPS.

Although you could delete OSM roadmap if you really need the space.

gmapsupp.img is also a map that is added by the user. We can not tell from the name what map it is. If you list all the maps you can enable on the map-screen of your Dakota you can deduce which map it is.

Does the Dakota say it is full, or is the disk full when you try to add something from your PC ?

Check the map \Garmin\GPX  on your Dakota; everything in that map (these are the caches that are saved to the GPS) can be deleted.

When I try to download to GPX a cache from Geocaching, it warns me that I am full up.

If I select 'Map' on Dakota, it only shows the last cache I was searching for.

If I go in Setup and select maps, it shows

Openfietsmap Lite - Enabled

Worldwide Basemap - Disabled

BirdsEye Select Kompass-Switzerland - Disabled

BirdsEye Select Eire - Disabled

Digital Globe - Disabled

USGS Quads - Disabled

BirdEye Select France - Disabled

BirdsEye Select ko - Disabled

Then my guess is that the gmapsupp (636 Mb)  is for the OpenFietsMap

And the birdseye maps should be in \Garmin\BirdsEye. You can remove all the files from this directory.

BirdsEye is like a google satelite map, but takes a lot of memory because of all the pictures.

Are you located in the same region as the person you bought the GPS from? Or rather: are his/her maps on the GPS of any use to you ?

You can find the openstreetmaps on: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/