Alotau, PNG. Best location for an event

Gill & Tony

I'm heading to Alotau in PNG in March next year and I thought it might be good to host an event.

We will be available from around 11am to 4pm, so I thought meeting somewhere for lunch might be good.

Does anyone know the area?  Where would be a good place?  A cafe with outside tables might be good, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

Tony

Just found this post.

I was there with friends December last year but as we did two tours we didn't really have a lot of time to explore the "town", such as it is. I have a vague recollection there may be what you seek near the Ferry Wharf but it is a  from the port dock. Our historic boat tour left from there and we got there by mini bus from the ship (it was a ships tour). There is also a market and hostel nearby and a war memorial park.  From what I can see and recall, there wasn't any cafe-like "culture" evident but maybe I just didn't see it. On Google maps there is the Alotau Bakery not fare from the dock. That could have potential as it has a few Google reviews.

I am assuming you are on a cruise? If so, try the cruise Roll Call, there may be other geocachers on board and you could organise something. As you probably already know, there are no geocaches there.

47 minutes ago, colleda said:

Happy cruising then. If Conflict Islands is on the itinerary it has the best snorkeling - ever.

We are going round Australia, Sydney to Sydney and Alotau is the international bit that makes it an international cruise.  Unfortunately, it will be our only stop in PNG.

That reminds me, I'll have to check up on visa requirements.

28 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

We are going round Australia, Sydney to Sydney and Alotau is the international bit that makes it an international cruise.  Unfortunately, it will be our only stop in PNG.

That reminds me, I'll have to check up on visa requirements.

Not required for PNG.