Challenge Cache conundrum

barefootjeff

I'm running the checker on some of the local cachers to produce my list of prequalifiers that the reviewer will probably want, and came across this one who's been caching for just a couple of years more than me:

• 522 T4 caches (40 required)
  • 459 Significant Hike attributes (20 required)
  • 742 Cliffs/Falling Rocks attributes (50 required)
  • 3051 Dangerous Animals attributes (50 required) and he's still alive and uneaten!
  • 3445 Scenic View attributes (100 required)

I think he might sneak in.

• Funny 1
On 9/19/2019 at 9:22 AM, barefootjeff said:

Caves.jpg.7b225e67ed8929d8aba8906733525160.jpg

The location is inside Brisbane Water National Park so I'm currently going through the approval process with them. I really wanted something a bit more than just a traditional for this spot, hence the idea for the challenge.

This might all be moot now as the park ranger has reservations about allowing a cache anywhere near the caves because of the danger of rock falls. I have a fallback GZ well away from any overhangs that I've now put to her so I'll see what happens, but it might be a bit more susceptible to muggles as I noticed a rock-climbing bolt nearby.

Just an update on this for anyone interested. While waiting for any further response from the park ranger, I've been scouting out possible alternative locations for this challenge cache and found one that even better fits the "nemophilist" theme. It's a 3km hike through the forest with plenty of sandstone rock-scrambling...

image.png.adeecae2b8b3e78f4c4404733b59fb50.png

There are several vantage points along the way offering views comparable to my original location.

image.png.d87e21915b2264f42d4aa658176086bf.png

image.png.68edb43f19e72cb2246f8ed9152fd5ba.png

image.png.51601d1b532d49fda177326abc95005c.png

GZ is in public bushland just outside the national park boundary and is in a cave accessible through a crevice between huge boulders.

image.png.9337d510158fdbf2914c67d4ca9c5777.png

I've heard nothing more back from my reviewer following my initial query about the eligibility of the challenge so I placed the cache this morning and submitted it for review. I guess I'll soon find out if it's eligible.

If I do eventually get a favourable response from the park ranger about my original location, I'll put a traditional there.

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

It's just been published (GC8DQXK). After all that effort, phew! Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions.

Congrats on the publish - yay!

Holy cats, I've a lot of work to do.  (At least I only have to face down 8 more dangerous critters.)  :D

Gonna be a lot of fun getting there, though!

I verified it with the checker but not going to make it out your way anytime soon.  I enjoyed my time in Sydney and Perth when I was there in the US Navy and would certainly like to go back so I'm not going to say never!  I might ask to borrow this idea at some point in the future but would need to find a place that would tie the two together.  Congrats on getting it out!

Yay I'm a nemophilist!  And then some. I blame Ontario.

415 finds of terrain 4 (40 needed).
154 caches of type "Significant hike" (20 required).
146 caches of type "Cliffs/falling rocks nearby" (50 required).
2658 caches of type "Dangerous animals" (50 required).
1640 caches of type "Scenic view" (100 required).

Congratulations!  The pictures look great.

But you're making me cry - I qualify but I don't know when I'll make Down Under (it's on the list) to find the cache.

You have found 51 caches of type "Significant hike". You require 0 more caches of this type.

You have found 142 caches of type "Cliffs/falling rocks nearby". You require 0 more caches of this type.

You have found 264 caches of type "Dangerous animals". You require 0 more caches of this type.

You have found 1374 caches of type "Scenic view". You require 0 more caches of this type.

On 9/21/2019 at 12:39 PM, barefootjeff said:

I'm running the checker on some of the local cachers to produce my list of prequalifiers that the reviewer will probably want, and came across this one who's been caching for just a couple of years more than me:

• 522 T4 caches (40 required)
  • 459 Significant Hike attributes (20 required)
  • 742 Cliffs/Falling Rocks attributes (50 required)
  • 3051 Dangerous Animals attributes (50 required) and he's still alive and uneaten!
  • 3445 Scenic View attributes (100 required)

I think he might sneak in.

This cacher dashed out there at first light and got FTF, of course!

• Upvote 2

Out of interest I run the checker and to my surprise I almost qualify.

I only have 49 "Dangerous Animals" but think even this 2,4% of my founds are highly exaggerated. I can't remember *any* cache where this attribute truly make sense.

But this (21%) is ridiculous, isn't it? I guess power trails through deserts might produce such statistics.

16 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

6 hours ago, Hynz said:

But this (21%) is ridiculous, isn't it? I guess power trails through deserts might produce such statistics.

23 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

haha, yes indeed. Also in Ontario we have quite a few parklands and remote conservation areas where the attribute could be there for anything from snakes to coyotes to bears.  The attribute could be interpreted to varying degrees depending on who uses it.

1 hour ago, niraD said:

User has 0 finds (40 needed).Filters:( terrains (4) )

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to qualify any time soon...

Well the nice thing about quantity-style qualifications is you just need to do a quick search for the property to find out where they're congregated, and how many are close by. You could even combine with the P&G attribute to filter for easy caches that still qualify. So don't count it out yet :)

Oh yeah I qualify I just need to do the trip now.

[Lynx Humble](https://www.geocaching.com/profile/?u=Lynx%20Humble) has used [Project-GC](https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8DQXK/45135 "Project-GC Challenge Checker") to see if they qualified for this challenge and they did. OK: AND{ User has 134 finds (40 needed).Filters:( terrains (4) ) User has found 176 caches of type "Significant hike" (20 required).User has found 98 caches of type "Cliffs/falling rocks nearby" (50 required).User has found 69 caches of type "Dangerous animals" (50 required).User has found 1193 caches of type "Scenic view" (100 required).}

?hiking-yes.gif You have found 176 caches of type "Significant hike". You require 0 more caches of this type.
?cliff-yes.gif You have found 98 caches of type "Cliffs/falling rocks nearby". You require 0 more caches of this type.
?dangerousanimals-yes.gif You have found 69 caches of type "Dangerous animals". You require 0 more caches of this type.
?scenic-yes.gif You have found 1193 caches of type "Scenic view". You require 0 more caches of this type.

On a lark, I ran the checker, too, just to see how many miles I was from ever being worthy. Turns out that all I need to make the grade is just one more Cliff/falling rocks. I had no idea I'm nearly a nemophilist.

I was surprised by how many dangerous animals I've been threatened by. I thought that attribute would be the problem, but I easily qualify there. Nearly 5% of my finds have that attribute. Perhaps people set dangerous animals when they hide a cache in a sketchy side of town where the humans are dangerous?

• Upvote 1
On 10/10/2019 at 12:29 AM, barefootjeff said:

It's just been published (GC8DQXK). After all that effort, phew! Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions.

That looks great! :)

Cool, I only need 25 more T4 caches, and 44 Cliffs/Falling Rocks, and I’m in!  

That cache is 9,271 miles from home.  May have to take a day off to find it.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

I've got some hiking to do before I qualify as a Nemophilist!  Besides the fact that the cache is +7,400 miles away, I need 33 more T4 caches, 43 more with the Falling Rocks attribute, and 19 more "significant" hikes before I can claim this challenge!  On the positive side, I've faced enough dangerous animals (93 found, of 50 needed) and viewed 271 scenic places (only 100 needed!).  Looks I need to be a bit more adventurous before we plan a trip to Australia!

• Upvote 1

I'm good for this one but I will confess that many of the "significant hike" caches were found by mountain bike. Of course, that may also be why I have so many "dangerous animals" caches. I have been chased by wild boar while biking on Pulau Ubin but I had a good head start and they lost interest after I made a couple of turns and wasn't in line of sight. 

I may get to this cache when we finally go to Australia (more likely to be in the Melbourne region, though) but the best part of this whole discussion for me was learning a new word, nemophilist, and the scientific name for the drop bear Thylarctos plummetus (per the University of Tasmania see: https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/news/2013/04/drop-bears-target-tourists-study-says/

8 hours ago, BFMC said:

I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but we had a similar style challenge published in Vic not too long ago..... if that's publishable then yours absolutely is! https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC8CA9E

I don't think I have much chance of qualifying for that one, not at my time of life at any rate:

You have found enough total caches, but don't have enough of each attribute type.

?hike_long-yes.gif You have found 5 caches of type "Hike longer than 10km". You require 15 more caches of this type.
?climbing-yes.gif You have found 34 caches of type "Difficult climbing". You require 16 more caches of this type.
?danger-yes.gif You have found 43 caches of type "Dangerous area". You require 57 more caches of this type.
?boat-yes.gif You have found 41 caches of type "Boat required". You require 59 more caches of this type.
?hiking-yes.gif You have found 21 caches of type "Significant hike". You require 29 more caches of this type.
?rappelling-yes.gif You have found 3 caches of type "Climbing gear required". You require 7 more caches of this type.

I've got them all but the first one.  I'm VERY surprised regarding the last one.  I've never used climbing gear on any of my climbing finds (tree, rocks, cliffs) so I'm wondering why that attribute was added, unless they viewed it as the "safe"  and preferred manner for retrieving the cache over the climb up and find it and them climb down again and don't think about it.  Again, not much of a chance to get out your way to find them but still interesting to see where I stand on these two.  

cancel16.png

cancel16.png AND
check16.png User has 33 finds (10 needed).Filters:( terrains (5) , difficulties (5) )
cancel16.png User has found 3 caches of type "Hike longer than 10km" (20 required).User has found 54 caches of type "Difficult climbing" (50 required).User has found 176 caches of type "Dangerous area" (100 required).User has found 540 caches of type "Boat required" (100 required).User has found 96 caches of type "Significant hike" (50 required).User has found 10 caches of type "Climbing gear required" (10 required).

You have found enough total caches, but don't have enough of each attribute type.

?hike_long-yes.gif You have found 3 caches of type "Hike longer than 10km". You require 17 more caches of this type.
?climbing-yes.gif You have found 54 caches of type "Difficult climbing". You require 0 more caches of this type.
?danger-yes.gif You have found 176 caches of type "Dangerous area". You require 0 more caches of this type.
?boat-yes.gif You have found 540 caches of type "Boat required". You require 0 more caches of this type.
?hiking-yes.gif You have found 96 caches of type "Significant hike". You require 0 more caches of this type.
?rappelling-yes.gif You have found 10 caches of type "Climbing gear required". You require 0 more caches of this type.
On 10/20/2019 at 7:14 AM, BFMC said:

I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but we had a similar style challenge published in Vic not too long ago..... if that's publishable then yours absolutely is! https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC8CA9E

I am not quite as cool as Chuck, but almost.

?hike_long-yes.gif You have found 18 caches of type "Hike longer than 10km". You require 2 more caches of this type.
?climbing-yes.gif You have found 124 caches of type "Difficult climbing". You require 0 more caches of this type.
?danger-yes.gif You have found 191 caches of type "Dangerous area". You require 0 more caches of this type.
?boat-yes.gif You have found 168 caches of type "Boat required". You require 0 more caches of this type.
?hiking-yes.gif You have found 180 caches of type "Significant hike". You require 0 more caches of this type.
?rappelling-yes.gif You have found 10 caches of type "Climbing gear required". You require 0 more caches of this type.

11 hours ago, coachstahly said:

I've got them all but the first one.  I'm VERY surprised regarding the last one.  I've never used climbing gear on any of my climbing finds (tree, rocks, cliffs) so I'm wondering why that attribute was added, unless they viewed it as the "safe"  and preferred manner for retrieving the cache over the climb up and find it and them climb down again and don't think about it.  Again, not much of a chance to get out your way to find them but still interesting to see where I stand on these two.

I was surprised to see I had three finds with the Climbing Gear Required attribute as I've never used any climbing gear. A PQ quickly located two of those three, one being a cache in southern Sydney that was on a ledge a bit down from the top of a cliff but fairly easily reached around from the side with a bit of rock-hopping (the description said abseiling down was an option) and the other was in the roof of a gazebo and meant to require a ladder, although one cacher at the event decided to do it without one.

Tarzan.jpg.63af8b9b768bc328390ef4c12a897b86.jpg

The third one has since been archived so it took a bit more effort to locate, but it was in the roof of a bus shelter and was easily reached without any climbing gear.

Yeah attributes have never been guaranteed to be accurate. They're optional and not definitive. You can't really look at your stats and glean anything from the amount of attributes you've collected, other than "I've found N caches with the X attribute", which probably means you've done a little more X than not, but that's about it.