Abuse of Waymarking for own advertising purposes

kaschper69

Hello,

I know that through the existing categories certain categories are advertised through our waymarks. But since a few days there are more and more submissions of waymarks from users, who apparently want to use this platform for their own company for advertising purposes, without following any posting instructions. So far I have noticed it in the category "Advertising Columns" and "Thrift Stores".  All users have a zero statistics regarding their posts and visits. It's a bit annoying if you take the time to control the waymark and then find out that you could have spent the time better. In the "Advertising Columns" category we block the submitted waymarks immediately, because otherwise they will be re-submitted immediately without meeting the requirements in the least.

What is your experience in this respect? How do you react to such submissions? What else would make sense?

Greetings

Greetings

Frank 

Examples: WM11ANR, WM11ANH, WM11AC8

Edited by wayfrog
Screenshots deleted, Waymark codes added
  • Surprised 1

I think that would be regarded as a Terms of Use violation to advertise on the website without HQ permission.  Obviously, there are some Categories that have commercial content, but these examples don't appear to meet the Category requirements, and to be honest, look pretty blatant misuse of the website.

You can contact HQ through the Help Center contact form:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/

In all likelihood, they will Lock the Accounts and you'll never hear from them again.

Thanks for your feedback!

I'm curious to see if there really will be any support. So we have to stand in the back again :(

Answer from HQ:

"Hello kaschper69-

Thank you for contacting us about Waymarking.

In order to support the rapid community growth of Geocaching.com, it was necessary to shift dedicated resources from Waymarking to Geocaching. Unfortunately, at this time we are only able to provide limited support."

1 minute ago, kaschper69 said:

Thanks for your feedback!

I'm curious to see if there really will be any support. So we have to stand in the back again :(

Answer from HQ:

"Hello kaschper69-

Thank you for contacting us about Waymarking.

In order to support the rapid community growth of Geocaching.com, it was necessary to shift dedicated resources from Waymarking to Geocaching. Unfortunately, at this time we are only able to provide limited support."

I would be surprised if they said anything different!

20 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

but the restaurant isn't there. Nothing is. The restaurant is supposed to be in Virginia, not Asia.

It was me, they slipped this one past.  I didn't notice the submitter had exactly one posting ever... the one he was submitting... nor that it was in the middle of nowhere.  Tried to Reevaluate Waymark this morning, but the website doesn't want to let me do that.  I removed their phone number and website from the Waymark and blocked them from editing.  Will be on the lookout for spammers now.

4 minutes ago, adenium said:

It was me, they slipped this one past.  I didn't notice the submitter had exactly one posting ever... the one he was submitting... nor that it was in the middle of nowhere.  Tried to Reevaluate Waymark this morning, but the website doesn't want to let me do that.  I removed their phone number and website from the Waymark and blocked them from editing.  Will be on the lookout for spammers now.

We accept your confession - go and sin no more - LOL...  :)
Seriously, stuff happens.  I wonder if someone else went and did the reevaluation...

8 hours ago, adenium said:

I was able to delete the Waymark (I think) and added the following text to the category description...

NO ADVERTISEMENTS! We will look at your profile to confirm that you are not simply posting a Waymark to promote your own business.

The waymark still exists but at least it has been denied by your category.  The waymark already has 13 views.

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM11BNF_Pints_Quarts

Wayfrog, if you're reading this, you might tell these folks to, uh, mind their Ps and Qs.  Frankly, though, other than the poster advertising their own business, I thought this one looked like so many walk-bys and drive-bys in the category.  ?

"Detailed Description:  We're a fly-by-night bar with terrible food, terrible service, and poor quality alcohol.  If you're looking for the good stuff, please drive up the road to one of our competitors -- a list follows -- and enjoy yourself.  We're the Bates Hotel of pubs in the area!"  Add a little click on the box next to "Block original waymark poster from editing this waymark?" and fire up "Fly, Robin, Fly".

[I'm kidding about the second paragraph.  Nobody freak out.]

2 hours ago, QuarrellaDeVil said:

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM11BNF_Pints_Quarts

Wayfrog, if you're reading this, you might tell these folks to, uh, mind their Ps and Qs.  Frankly, though, other than the poster advertising their own business, I thought this one looked like so many walk-bys and drive-bys in the category.  ?

"Detailed Description:  We're a fly-by-night bar with terrible food, terrible service, and poor quality alcohol.  If you're looking for the good stuff, please drive up the road to one of our competitors -- a list follows -- and enjoy yourself.  We're the Bates Hotel of pubs in the area!"  Add a little click on the box next to "Block original waymark poster from editing this waymark?" and fire up "Fly, Robin, Fly".

[I'm kidding about the second paragraph.  Nobody freak out.]

And here I was, worried about my submission to that category!

• Helpful 1
On 4/9/2020 at 12:15 AM, vulture1957 said:

Another one slipped thru  Waymark Code: WM129V8

I have already reported this one to Waymarking but they say they are unable to look at it at this difficult time due to resources being removed from Waymarking to Geocaching. I am surprised that someone has "visited" it as there is nothing to see there apart from a gated apartment complex.

Edited by Master Mariner
Speeling mistake!
  • Funny 1

I've run into this waymark WM14BWC which seems to be a self-advertisement. This waymark doesn't even have a proper photo of the place. But this didn't bother the leader, who approved it. My question is, can something be done about it, because it seems to me that it should?

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
On 6/17/2021 at 3:10 PM, sernikk said:

I've run into this waymark WM14BWC which seems to be a self-advertisement. This waymark doesn't even have a proper photo of the place. But this didn't bother the leader, who approved it. My question is, can something be done about it, because it seems to me that it should?

Can something be done about it? Certainly. But, for the most part it's up to you, the conscientious Waymarker, to do it. Make your voice heard!

If you're an officer, just click Decline and move on. These do not deserve your time or energy.

Otherwise, it wouldn't hurt to contact the the leader, letting her/him know that he/she has been less than diligent in her/his duties.

Sneaky workaround - suggest an edit, reversing the signs in both latitude and longitude coordinates. If the officers are REALLY less than wholly diligent, they might just accept your edit, sending the Waymark to the opposite side of the earth. :):D

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Funny 1