Stolen trackable. How to report.

pixpixpix

21 minutes ago, pixpixpix said:

I found a very nice trackable that had been out of circulation for 6 years. Then it was stolen out of my car one night with my entire geocaching kit bag.

How do I record it missing?

The owner is inactivate and hasn't been online for 3 years or logged a find for 4 years.

It would be good to make a Note log on that TB’s page.  The owner may still get log email notifications.

• Helpful 2
29 minutes ago, pixpixpix said:

yes I did that. But it is still showing in my inventory even though I don't have it.

If you have no selection on the TB page to mark it missing, one clean way to fix it is to ask the Help Center.

There was never any picture posted of the item in any log.  Just wow.

• Upvote 1

I think the only people who can mark a trackable missing are the owner of the trackable and the owner of the cache the trackable is in.

If the owner of the trackable doesn't respond, then you might be able to drop it in some other cache, owned by someone who will mark it missing.

56 minutes ago, niraD said:

I think the only people who can mark a trackable missing are the owner of the trackable and the owner of the cache the trackable is in.

If the owner of the trackable doesn't respond, then you might be able to drop it in some other cache, owned by someone who will mark it missing.

Ah. OK

13 hours ago, pixpixpix said:

Ah. OK

12 hours ago, kunarion said:

If you are considering drop logs, be sure it’s clear what you’re up to, to anyone reading the logs.  Otherwise it just makes the situation worse.  

Agree with kunarion.    

But I'd go a step further and say it's not really a nice thing to do, dumping something that isn't even there into another's inventory,  sticking them with having to fix your issue.

If you're going to do that, then at least Drop it in the remaining cache that belongs to that Trackable's Owner...

5 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

But I'd go a step further and say it's not really a nice thing to do, dumping something that isn't even there into another's inventory,  sticking them with having to fix your issue.

If you're going to do that, then at least Drop it in the remaining cache that belongs to that Trackable's Owner...

Alternatively, if you have a friend who owns a cache, you can drop it in their cache and ask them to mark it missing.  I believe a cache owner can mark any TB in their cache missing.  This would at least get it out of your inventory and mark it as missing.

• Helpful 2
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

I'd reeeally hope the OP would contact HQ (or other suitable muckety-mucks) to get the Inventory fixed.  Once you go down the rabbit hole of What-If-I-Click-This-Button, and when that doesn't work and now you're deleting logs to fix that, pretty soon you're back here asking how to unscramble that mess.  In the meantime, the Trackable Owner is getting notifications that after the TB was stolen, his TB was dropped into a cache (then immediately Missing again, etc.).  Sweet. Tell me again why Geocachers become inactivate and haven't been online for 3 years or logged a find for 4 years.

Hey, cool, here's a page with a link to the Help Center contact form :ph34r:https://www.geocaching.com/help/

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1