Newly published cache now missing from map

Yells25

I am rather new to this so maybe I'm missing something.  I found a cache a few weeks ago and logged it on-line.  It was just placed the end of August or beginning of September so it's quite new.  My sis-in-law was visiting so I brought her over to the spot so she could also claim it.  The physical cache is still there so she signed the log but when she tried to log it on-line, it wasn't showing on the map.  I went through my found list but couldn't find it either (can't remember the name of it but I do remember a comment someone else made about it so I looked through their log as well but found nothing).  It doesn't seem to be archived/disabled so I am confused as to where it went.  The location should be the parking lot of the Goodness Me store (668 Erb St W, Waterloo, ON N2T 2Z7).  Is this something that happens from time-to-time or should I report this?  Or is there somewhere else I should be looking?  

5 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

Just guessing... it may have been on private property (parking lot) without permission and revoked. 

Ah, that's probably it.  It's a big box store lot but that particular parking area is tucked away beside the store and technically separated by a laneway.  It would be nice for some sort of notification especially since no one has removed the physical cache.  That way I don't keep sending people there!   Thanks for the response :)

17 hours ago, Yells25 said:

I am rather new to this so maybe I'm missing something.  I found a cache a few weeks ago and logged it on-line.  It was just placed the end of August or beginning of September so it's quite new.  My sis-in-law was visiting so I brought her over to the spot so she could also claim it.  The physical cache is still there so she signed the log but when she tried to log it on-line, it wasn't showing on the map.  I went through my found list but couldn't find it either (can't remember the name of it but I do remember a comment someone else made about it so I looked through their log as well but found nothing).  It doesn't seem to be archived/disabled so I am confused as to where it went.  The location should be the parking lot of the [store name redacted] store [address redacted].  Is this something that happens from time-to-time or should I report this?  Or is there somewhere else I should be looking?  

I'm reading that your sis-in-law signed the log ... but not that you signed the log.  Perhaps that was just an oversight.  It's rather important, though, as COs can delete online logs that don't have a corresponding signature on the hard-copy log.

And whether or not it's been archived, it can still be logged if the original log was signed.

Edited by VAVAPAM
archived note; redactions

Or is there somewhere else I should be looking?  

Tough to answer this one without doing some spoiling, but you might consider Mystery caches that you've found recently.   They're "on the map", but not at the coords where you found the physical cache.  And, if you still can, edit your posts as to location, thanks

I don't believe this is relevant, but I'll mention that cache pages can be Archived, and they can be Retracted (not revoked). These are two very different actions. 

Retracted = Unpublished. Cache reverts to the status it had before its publication.  Cache cannot be seen on the site by any means by any person other than the cache owner, or a site admin. It's rare for a cache with finds be Retracted, though it can happen.

If you have a find logged on a retracted cache, you keep the find count AND you get the log and the cache page, complete, in a MyFinds query.  Otherwise, you can't see it.

Archived  means the cache won't come up on a search. It can be seen on the cache owner's profile and by anyone with a link to the page. It can still be logged, unless it has also been Locked (also rare, but can happen).

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

A cache hidden on private property without permission will be archived if the property owner requests it be removed.  If you logged it, that would be in your records.  You can check the records of other cachers who have signed the log.

I have found two caches that were later unpublished.  They still appear in my records, but there is no cache page.

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

That might be the answer. There's a nearby mystery cache. 

Yeah. Or a Multi. That would explain how the OP is ""sending people there" (using solved coords?).  There's not enough information in the OP.  The container is still there. Is there a cache code or name on the container?  When did the OP find it?  Did the OP sign the physical log? What other signatures (and dates) are on that log?  At least the date when the friend found it would be useful. We don't even know the cache size.  What date was the first find?

It's odd that the cache may have been wiped from the database, I've never seen that, only read stories of bomb scares or whatever.  Unless we know it's OK, at least don't send anyone there.

Edited by kunarion
Sunlight was refracting through the swamp gas of Venus.
11 hours ago, VAVAPAM said:

I'm reading that your sis-in-law signed the log ... but not that you signed the log.  Perhaps that was just an oversight.  It's rather important, though, as COs can delete online logs that don't have a corresponding signature on the hard-copy log.

And whether or not it's been archived, it can still be logged if the original log was signed.

Oops...   I did sign the log as well but forgot to mention that in my original post.  

6 hours ago, kunarion said:

Yeah. Or a Multi. That would explain how the OP is ""sending people there" (using solved coords?).  There's not enough information in the OP.  The container is still there. Is there a cache code or name on the container?  When did the OP find it?  Did the OP sign the physical log? What other signatures (and dates) are on that log?  At least the date when the friend found it would be useful. We don't even know the cache size.  What date was the first find?

It's odd that the cache may have been wiped from the database, I've never seen that, only read stories of bomb scares or whatever.  Unless we know it's OK, at least don't send anyone there.

It's not far from my house so I will go back and see what the physical cache says and see who else signed it.   I'll also check other mystery caches in the area to see if they are close (or try to solve them and see where they end up).  Thanks for all the advice!

Now I feel a little silly.  I went back to check on the cache and it is actually a puzzle cache that I completed a while ago but never went to find until now.  Sorry for the mix-up but thanks for all the advice on what could have happened.  I am rather new to all this so it will be awhile until I get my geolegs :)

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1