International EarthCache Day 2019

Max and 99

17 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

My closest unfound EC is GC218HB which might be a pleasant visit if the weather's nice and the tide's not too high. Getting there will be a ferry trip across Broken Bay then a bus south along Sydney's northern beaches to Long Reef, with a stop somewhere for a fish-and-chips lunch.

If it wasn't for the 20 hour flight to get to the ferry I would gladly go after that EC. I've got a several week trip planned for October along the gulf coast of Texas and Louisiana then up through Arkansas, Missouri, and Kansas. With 77 Earthcaches on my list I'm bound to log at least one that weekend.

Since Groundspeak has been giving souvenirs for EarthCache finds, I only find the local ones for souvenirs.  There are twenty unfound ones within thirty-two miles.  Seven in New York City, which would be too expensive and time consuming.  Two have admission charges.  That leaves me with eleven to choose from.  So, I guess I'll go for one about eleven miles from home.

4 hours ago, The Jester said:

That sounds like a very interesting place - too bad I'm almost 3000 miles away - but I do get out that way every few years...

Yes, Hanging Rock State Park is a wonderful spot for any outdoors-loving cacher.  There's miles of hiking trails - the NC Mountains-to-Sea Trail passes through there - of  varying intensities, rock climbing, beautiful vistas, and there's an access point to the Dan River at the northern end.  (Most of the paddle caches are upstream, though.)

Besides that bendy-rock Earthcache, there's an old Virtual (2002) and three other Earthcaches, one of which requires visiting all *5* waterfalls located within the park. 

Here's the park map: Hanging Rock Map

• Upvote 1
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:06 PM, VAVAPAM said:

Yes, Hanging Rock State Park is a wonderful spot for any outdoors-loving cacher.  There's miles of hiking trails - the NC Mountains-to-Sea Trail passes through there - of  varying intensities, rock climbing, beautiful vistas, and there's an access point to the Dan River at the northern end.  (Most of the paddle caches are upstream, though.)

Besides that bendy-rock Earthcache, there's an old Virtual (2002) and three other Earthcaches, one of which requires visiting all *5* waterfalls located within the park. 

Here's the park map: Hanging Rock Map

Cool, I did look around at nearby caches and the waterfalls were a big plus to stopping by (we drove across Canada a few years ago 'chasing' waterfalls).  We've passed thru NC in the last two years (Kitty Hawk & Blue Ridge Parkway last year and traveling south to Tallahassee this year).  It's on the list for our next time thru.

56 minutes ago, The Jester said:

Cool, I did look around at nearby caches and the waterfalls were a big plus to stopping by (we drove across Canada a few years ago 'chasing' waterfalls).  We've passed thru NC in the last two years (Kitty Hawk & Blue Ridge Parkway last year and traveling south to Tallahassee this year).  It's on the list for our next time thru.

Wow; you've covered some ground! 

I bet you'll be glad you did add Hanging Rock to the itinerary. 

Safe travels!

17 hours ago, VAVAPAM said:

Wow; you've covered some ground! 

I bet you'll be glad you did add Hanging Rock to the itinerary. 

Safe travels!

Since we retired 4.5 years ago, we've done 5 cross country trips with the trailer and one half way across.  We estimate we've done about 70K miles in the trailer and have spent almost a year & a half in it now.  So far we've had safe (personally) travels but not without some problems - we hit a moose in Maine and had to replace the tow car, we spent a week in Midland, TX waiting for parts and repairs, we had a spin out in SD (did you know you can do a 180 spin with car & trailer and keep it perfectly in line as you travel backwards into a water & reed filled ditch?) but haven't been hurt, shaken yes, hurt no.  Tires, wheel wells, axels and whole cars can be replaced, but hard to do that with the wife and I. 

On 9/15/2019 at 7:50 PM, The Jester said:

There are over 100 waterfalls over 15 feet high within 10 miles of where I live.  There are a couple over 70 feet high about 10 minute walk away,  three that are over 100 feet high that are right in town, and one that is over 200 feet high about 10 miles away.  

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

There are over 100 waterfalls over 15 feet high within 10 miles of where I live.  There are a couple over 70 feet high about 10 minute walk away,  three that are over 100 feet high that are right in town, and one that is over 200 feet high about 10 miles away.  

Cool!  Many years ago (70's/80's) we passed thru there and saw a few of them.  I'll put on the list of places to return to...

To bring it back on topic, I saw some EC's in AL/TN area about waterfalls - one underground beneath a hotel.  I haven't had the chance to chase those down yet.

One of my favorites is Falling Waters GC19NV6 in FL.  The states tallest waterfall (73') - it starts at ground level and falls down into a karst.

My family and I will be hitting up a sand dune earthcache. It is one I have left unfound for International Earthcache Weekend, and it is time to find it. I live near Lake Michigan, so there are several dune earthcaches that I've found. This one is not unique, but it will get my kids and I the souvenir.

6 minutes ago, sgerbs said:

My family and I will be hitting up a sand dune earthcache. It is one I have left unfound for International Earthcache Weekend, and it is time to find it. I live near Lake Michigan, so there are several dune earthcaches that I've found. This one is not unique, but it will get my kids and I the souvenir.

There's a really cool sand dune earthcache at Jockey's Ridge in Nags head, North Carolina (a stones throw from where the Wright brothers first flew an airplane).  One of the tasks is to capture coordinate at the highest point on the dunes and determine the distance from the previous finders location.  The lesson is that the dunes are constantly moving as prevailing winds shift.

16 hours ago, sgerbs said:

Yep, I'll also be doing a coastal feature. If it becomes a bit less stormy and rainy over the weekend. I don't fancy cycling 6km one-way in the current weather.

12 minutes ago, terratin said:

Yep, I'll also be doing a coastal feature. If it becomes a bit less stormy and rainy over the weekend. I don't fancy cycling 6km one-way in the current weather.

My plan was to do GC218HB at Long Reef on Sydney's northern beaches, but tomorrow's forecast is for heavy rain and storms. Sunday is supposed to be better with just isolated showers and low tide will be mid afternoon, so if the ocean isn't too angry I still might get there.

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

My plan was to do GC218HB at Long Reef on Sydney's northern beaches, but tomorrow's forecast is for heavy rain and storms. Sunday is supposed to be better with just isolated showers and low tide will be mid afternoon, so if the ocean isn't too angry I still might get there.

The heavy rain pretty much all fell during the night and had moved north by dawn, so I was able to venture south to Long Reef to do the EC although it was pretty cold and windy out there.

BFJ.jpg.234ebd86b04a054ee0db1111bb4d410d.jpg

• Upvote 1

As I was leaving the house to meet a friend for an earthcache, I started reading the page and it states that the viewing location, at a city park, is closed on Sundays. Huh?  That makes no sense! Fortunately, there was another earthcache nearby and the day was saved. It was at a great location, I learned something new, and we talked about it afterwards. 

On 9/14/2019 at 2:40 AM, Max and 99 said:

What are your plans to earn this souvenir?

I didn't visit an earthcache just to get a souvenir.

I got a souvenir (which I did not know it existed) for taking part in a CITO. The event was fun and we cleaned up the area. That's worth more than the little picture in my profile which hides between many others...

5 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

I generally don't enjoy Earthcaches after once finding 13 in one day and having an earth science overdose.  But I made it to the Paterson Great Falls National Historical Park to find the Earthcache there.  I took this photo using a two second timer, I think it turned out nice.

Great Falls Paterson.jpg

Dang!  I just checked, and last year (2018) we passed within 2 miles of those falls.  I had the virtual in the DB, but I've added the EC also for next time.

On 9/14/2019 at 9:50 AM, cerberus1 said:

If I go, it'll probably be in another state.  Many nearby are micro-managed with more "tasks" involved than the area's worth.

I've been wanting to head to Eternal Flame Falls for some time, maybe a good option.

I was headed back home from a week of caching in New England, so I stopped at the Eternal Flame Falls for mine.  :-)

It was nice to do one out of my home state since I don't have many ECs left near home.

We had originally planned to be in Slovenia for the weekend, so I had many earthcache possibilities picked out.

A week before the trip, our flight was canceled, as the Slovenian carrier Adria folded.  Thankfully we were able to get our money back and to get last minute tickets to Sicily without breaking the bank.

Sicily doesn't have many geocaches, but thankfully there are a decent number of earthcaches around Mount Etna.  We got our souvenir Saturday for the one cache in Catania we found, an earthcache close to our B&B, but we would have also gotten it had we only found the one at a crater field halfway up Etna on our Sunday excursion to the volcano.

15e8b085-c20d-439c-902e-99397316920f.jpg

Edited by hzoi
  • Upvote 1