Limits of "Family Friendly"

PPTB

The cache placement guidelines state that all caches must be appropriate for all ages.  What are the limits to this?

I want to do a multi cache with a psychological thriller kind of theme.  I want to take cachers on an emotional journey through the mind of an obsessed lover.  I'm thinking of including journal entries, love letters, and physical props to tell the story--I want to push the limits without getting my hard work deactivated for being too family un-friendly.  Can I label my cache description as a "mature audiences" cache and call it good, or do I need to keep everything PG?  To be clear I'm not talking about nudity, but I was thinking I might include props like a bloody rag, or a simulated body part like a chopped off finger or something.

Eager to hear your thoughts.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, pptb said:

The cache placement guidelines state that all caches must be appropriate for all ages.  What are the limits to this?

I want to do a multi cache with a psychological thriller kind of theme.  I want to take cachers on an emotional journey through the mind of an obsessed lover.  I'm thinking of including journal entries, love letters, and physical props to tell the story--I want to push the limits without getting my hard work deactivated for being too family un-friendly.  Can I label my cache description as a "mature audiences" cache and call it good, or do I need to keep everything PG?  To be clear I'm not talking about nudity, but I was thinking I might include props like a bloody rag, or a simulated body part like a chopped off finger or something.

There's an Attribute for Kid Friendly I suppose you could use (i.e. clicking on it twice puts a red line through, implying not suitable for kids), although I usually see that option used for safety reasons.   Otherwise, no, you cannot rate your Listing like a movie (e.g. mature audiences only).  You'll just have to use your judgement (or those of a trusted friend if you lack the skills), and be ready to accept the judgement of your local Reviewer or Appeals if it goes that far.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
34 minutes ago, pptb said:

Curious where you saw this.    :)

I see the guidelines say, "Geocaching is a family-friendly game. Cache page contents, including description and name, must be suitable for all ages."

- We'd never see any cache listed higher than 3/3 if it was caches ...

We've seen fake body parts, burned/mutilated dolls, and some really spooky, creepy stuff created by COs in the woods.

As Touchstone says, the not kid friendly attribute could be used, but on a multi around Halloween once had families caching together with little kids.

We could hear them all squealing while walking back to the car.  :D 

The important thing these days is to be sure of your location, and I'd mention who gave permission on the cache page.

- Non-cachers finding "body parts" and calling the cops not the best attention for the hobby maybe...

• Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Curious where you saw this.    :)

I see the guidelines say, "Geocaching is a family-friendly game. Cache page contents, including description and name, must be suitable for all ages."

- We'd never see any cache listed higher than 3/3 if it was caches ...

We've seen fake body parts, burned/mutilated dolls, and some really spooky, creepy stuff created by COs in the woods.

As Touchstone says, the not kid friendly attribute could be used, but on a multi around Halloween once had families caching together with little kids.

We could hear them all squealing while walking back to the car.  :D 

The important thing these days is to be sure of your location, and I'd mention who gave permission on the cache page.

- Non-cachers finding "body parts" and calling the cops not the best attention for the hobby maybe...

CACHE PAGE!!! thank you for the correction, that makes me the happiest little psychopath!!!

You can do that in a perfectly family friendly way, there are LOADS of kids movies which have clearly dysfunctional relationships at the centre. You just need to not to it in a gratuitous way.

Sounds like a great idea for a series of caches.

Edited by Rock Chalk
Post edited to remove portion that did not comply with forum guidelines: "This site is family-friendly. All forum posts must conform to a family-friendly standard and contributors must act accordingly."