What Happens After A Geocache Is Suggested To Archive?

Hydroa

I recently suggested an archive for an abandoned cache.  I want to publish a cache that I just recently placed that is just barely in the red zone.  I Suggested the archive and provided information but Im not sure what happens next or what i should do.  Can anybody help me out here?  Thanks

15 minutes ago, Hydroa said:

I recently suggested an archive for an abandoned cache.  I want to publish a cache that I just recently placed that is just barely in the red zone.  I Suggested the archive and provided information but Im not sure what happens next or what i should do.  Can anybody help me out here?  Thanks

A reviewer will take a look at the cache. In my area, the CO will receive notice that the Reviewer is temporarily disabling the cache and giving them a month to fix the problem. If the CO does nothing that month, the Reviewer will archive that cache. 

Just fyi: even if the CO deletes a NA log, the Reviewer will still see it.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3

In my area, the Reviewer will Disable the Listing if they agree with your assessment, and Archive the Listing after 30 days, to give the cache owner time to respond.   If you're interested in a nearby location, it's probably best to put the nearby Listing on your Watchlist, so that you're notified of any activity.

• Upvote 2

Different areas have different Reviewer's, who may handle things with different methods.

Often, if a cache has only a few DNF logs, and no Needs Maintenance logs, a Needs Archive log may get no action by the Reviewer - especially if the person filing the NA has a cache in the Review queue that is being blocked by that reported cache.

Can't you just move your new cache that little bit out of the red circle, instead of trying to have another cache archived?

• Upvote 2

I had a similar problem awhile back. One of my true dislikes about this games current rules and implementation. I had to solve the puzzle, no checker and no response from the CO due to inactivity years ago. Confirmed solution with two previous finders. Started with a NM followed by NA. Took far long than I would have liked. The cache was on private property behind an old barb wire fence and the area looks cleaned up. But cache maintenance rules seem to fall by the wayside. I eventually abandoned the spot due to new park rules and my spot was just a few feet inside the park boundary.

The problem with this statement as I see it:

2 hours ago, K13 said:

Can't you just move your new cache that little bit out of the red circle, instead of trying to have another cache archived?

is let's pretend this is an amazing spot we keep hearing that folks want great quality caches. So move the cache 100 ft from the amazing spot maybe a cool tree to climb or amazing viewpoint, to a LPC. Just saying the person simply liked that spot. Shouldn't that be enough? The CO of the other cache is not following the agreement made to list the cache. In my case I went from the ability to hide an ammo can to a micro on a sign post. I still have that ammo can and searching for the perfect spot.

Personally I'd like to see some better solution to cacher inactivity and lack of cache maintenance. Maybe a heart beat check. Specially when for the last few years easy to find then a string of DNFs, the CO has not logged in since 2010 so flag the cache for followup. Or give a cache a 5 year listing, that the CO has to renew with an owner maintenance.  I'm sure smart people can come up with a solution.

5 hours ago, Hydroa said:

Just relax and wait. I had the same problem many years ago. An abandoned cache blocked my new cache. During that time the procedure took 6 months after the reviewer had disabled the cache and requested owner maintenance. I waited as scheduled and when the blocking cache finally get archived my new cache was published immediatelly and it has been there already 8 years.

Do not expect any quick solution. It may take months until the place is free. At the meantime you can create other caches.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, MNTA said:

Personally I'd like to see some better solution to cacher inactivity and lack of cache maintenance. Maybe a heart beat check. Specially when for the last few years easy to find then a string of DNFs, the CO has not logged in since 2010 so flag the cache for followup. Or give a cache a 5 year listing, that the CO has to renew with an owner maintenance.  I'm sure smart people can come up with a solution.

From amongst my 1046 finds, there are 135 caches that are more than ten years old and still in play. Most of these have owners who are no longer active, yet their caches, which are typically rugged containers appropriately hidden in relatively remote bushland, are still perfectly servicable and continue to provide enjoyment to cachers. Many of them have big thick logbooks filled with stories from the early days of caching. If these were archived simply because their owners didn't post an OM every five years, I doubt there'd be any influx of new caches to fill the voids left behind. Many are classics, like this one from 2002, and it would be a shame to see them go.

ThunderBlunder.jpg.cb38386876fb93e1bdb2b0bef4a50168.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
10 hours ago, Hydroa said:

Your NA (that pretty-much says what you've said here...) will be looked at  by a Reviewer, probably given a TD with a time-frame for the CO to respond,  then archived if they don't.

A month or so.  So, if you plan on your cache replacing the one that's there soon, it's probably not likely. 

The CO is still active as of July.   Last time I was hospitalized, it probably appeared to some I "wasn't active" for six months...

If the CO responds and fixes it, your plans are shot.   Agree with k13, that it might be necessary later to "move yours a bit..." anyway.

Ideally a reviewer will assess the situation--call for CO maintenance, eventually make the decision whether or not to archive.  But sometimes nothing happens.  I've seen caches with enormous DNF lists and requests for archive that go back YEARS and nobody has done a thing about them.  Some are for clear reasons, like the phone booth is no longer there or the farmer said to get off of his property, but the local reviewers are as inactive as the COs!

• Upvote 3