Our next vacation

PISA-caching

At the end of September we will attend a guided tour by bus through several countries, most of which we haven't been to before. We will start in Vienna, Austria and here's a list of the countries that we will either drive through or stay at least one night. But to make it a little more interesting I will not write a list of the countries names, but instead their number of waymarks at the moment. Those of you who like riddles, can try to find the approximate route and for everybody else I will solve the riddle lateron. Or, if you want to post the solution yourself, go ahead.

Ok, here we go:

As you can see we will visit five countries with less than 100 waymarks. So, I hope that I will be able to improve their numbers significantly. The problem with these guided tours is, that usually they visit locations that already have a waymark, but I'm still optimistic and will come home with tons of photos for new waymarks.

Well done! It's almost correct. Here's the list:

Austria (starting early in the morning)
Slovenia
Croatia
Serbia (1st night)
Macedonia ( 3 nights in 2 different locations)
Albania (1 night)
Montenegro (1 night)

Croatia (1 night)
Bosnia and Herzegovina (2 nights)
Croatia
Slovenia
Austria (home again)

The countries with bold font are the ones that we haven't been to before. It's a shame that we haven't visited these countries earlier, but now I'm excited and hope that I will come home with tons of photos for new waymarks. Can't wait to color some countries on the maps of our profile.

16 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

At the end of September we will attend a guided tour by bus through several countries, most of which we haven't been to before. We will start in Vienna, Austria and here's a list of the countries that we will either drive through or stay at least one night. But to make it a little more interesting I will not write a list of the countries names, but instead their number of waymarks at the moment. Those of you who like riddles, can try to find the approximate route and for everybody else I will solve the riddle lateron. Or, if you want to post the solution yourself, go ahead.

Ok, here we go:

As you can see we will visit five countries with less than 100 waymarks. So, I hope that I will be able to improve their numbers significantly. The problem with these guided tours is, that usually they visit locations that already have a waymark, but I'm still optimistic and will come home with tons of photos for new waymarks.

Sounds like a phenomenal trip!

If you happen to find any ISS passes common with central Oklahoma, I'd love to partner with you!

23 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

If you happen to find any ISS passes common with central Oklahoma, I'd love to partner with you!

That would be great. The journey starts Sept. 28th and ends on Oct. 7th. I think that we will be pretty tired every evening, but if the ISS doesn't pass in the very middle of the night, I might be able to stay awake long enough or get up early enough.

And yes, it will be a great trip with lots of different currencies, religions, archtiectural styles, cultures, languages, meals, ...

9 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

That would be great. The journey starts Sept. 28th and ends on Oct. 7th. I think that we will be pretty tired every evening, but if the ISS doesn't pass in the very middle of the night, I might be able to stay awake long enough or get up early enough.

And yes, it will be a great trip with lots of different currencies, religions, archtiectural styles, cultures, languages, meals, ...

Well that settles that. I got nothing those days!

On 9/13/2019 at 3:07 AM, Max and 99 said:

Unfortunately, at this time of the year, the ISS is in the Earths shadow as it crosses the Atlantic after being viewed by Max & 99.

Here's a couple screen shots of the Earths shadow area for May, when the ISS stayed sun-lit through the night, and for now in September.

May 18-19 2019 GMT-6.jpg

ISS Sep 13 2019 pm.jpg

On 9/13/2019 at 9:45 AM, PISA-caching said:

Well done! It's almost correct. Here's the list:

Austria (starting early in the morning)
Slovenia
Croatia
Serbia (1st night)
Macedonia ( 3 nights in 2 different locations)
Albania (1 night)
Montenegro (1 night)

Croatia (1 night)
Bosnia and Herzegovina (2 nights)
Croatia
Slovenia
Austria (home again)

The countries with bold font are the ones that we haven't been to before. It's a shame that we haven't visited these countries earlier, but now I'm excited and hope that I will come home with tons of photos for new waymarks. Can't wait to color some countries on the maps of our profile.

Sounds like a great trip, although a little dense for my personal taste.

All of those countries are on my not yet visited list (I've been to Austria, but that was before GPS and Waymarking). I will be closer than ten kilometers from the border of Albania in two weeks, so maybe there is a chance for a day trip over there, but I do not know yet.

18 hours ago, fi67 said:

Sounds like a great trip, although a little dense for my personal taste.

There's good and bad about such a dense program. On the one hand, if you don't like an area or the hotel or whatever you don't have to stay long ;), but if you like it, it's of course sad to leave so fast, but I keep up the hope that the next day will bring something great too. And if we fall in love with a certain area, we can always go there again and stay longer. For example, our trip through Scotland was dense too, but now we have a good overview and if we visit Scotland again, we know that we will try to stay longer in Edinburgh (creat city!) and pass on Glasgow etc. We know that the highlands have to be visited in the right time of the year to see the full beauty of it and so on.

18 hours ago, fi67 said:

All of those countries are on my not yet visited list (I've been to Austria, but that was before GPS and Waymarking). I will be closer than ten kilometers from the border of Albania in two weeks, so maybe there is a chance for a day trip over there, but I do not know yet.

Fingers crossed. Might be the best chance you will have in a long time.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:55 AM, Max and 99 said:

How was your trip? I bet it was fantastic!

Oh yes, it was. We had sunshine on 9 of 10 days. We saw many great locations, enjoyed the local meals and had a great time. Ingrid and I took almost 4000 photos and it will take forever to post all the waymarks and log the visits. The highlight was the visit of the MOH grave near Kotor, Montenegro. We also expect to have several additional "first waymark in this category in this country" waymarks. For example: We posted the first "Statues of Religious Figures" waymark in Serbia, which was quite a surprise for us.

And we are also happy because we could add five countries to our geocaching map. We found 6 geocaches in Macedonia, 6 in Bosnia and Herzegovina, 3 in Albania, 2 in Montenegro and 2 in Serbia.

Apart from all that, the travel was also sad. We could still see lots of traces of the wars that took place in the 90s. Many houses with bullet holes and ruins of destroyed houses. And it was interesting to hear the various "true" stories about these wars from the different local city guides we met.

5 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

We also expect to have several additional "first waymark in this category in this country" waymarks.

I also have a handful of them for Albania. But it will take at least a couple of weeks before I'll be able to process them (lots of other things to do and I still have to work on the domestic findings from July to September). So you don't need to hurry. But I won't tell you what they are. :ph34r:

7 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Oh yes, it was. We had sunshine on 9 of 10 days. We saw many great locations, enjoyed the local meals and had a great time. Ingrid and I took almost 4000 photos and it will take forever to post all the waymarks and log the visits. The highlight was the visit of the MOH grave near Kotor, Montenegro. We also expect to have several additional "first waymark in this category in this country" waymarks. For example: We posted the first "Statues of Religious Figures" waymark in Serbia, which was quite a surprise for us.

And we are also happy because we could add five countries to our geocaching map. We found 6 geocaches in Macedonia, 6 in Bosnia and Herzegovina, 3 in Albania, 2 in Montenegro and 2 in Serbia.

Apart from all that, the travel was also sad. We could still see lots of traces of the wars that took place in the 90s. Many houses with bullet holes and ruins of destroyed houses. And it was interesting to hear the various "true" stories about these wars from the different local city guides we met.

You're the first thing that came to mind when they announced the new Bosnia souvenir. Perfect timing!

16 hours ago, fi67 said:

I also have a handful of them for Albania. But it will take at least a couple of weeks before I'll be able to process them (lots of other things to do and I still have to work on the domestic findings from July to September). So you don't need to hurry. But I won't tell you what they are. :ph34r:

So, you made the daytrip to Albania. That's great. How did you like it and what area did you see?

9 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

So, you made the daytrip to Albania. That's great. How did you like it and what area did you see?

It was a very short trip. In fact, the ferry rides from Corfu to Sarandë and then back were longer than the stay.

I liked this trip, but I don't think that Sarandë is typical for the country. It is a modern thriving town going to be prepared to be one of the near future's tourist hot spots in the region. But it also has some history to offer.