Forum maintenance 9/10/19

CAVinoGal

I noticed a minor change to the forum after the update - minor but I find myself missing this feature a lot! 

I open the forums, and look at all the areas with new posts since my last visit.  I drill down to an area of interest, and see the list of topics with new posts (they are bolded).  I choose one and use the dot or star to go to the first unread post in that topic.  All that is still the same.  BUT, when I get to the bottom of the page, it now says NEXT UNREAD TOPIC.  It used to say that, but also in smaller type it would have the title of that toipic as well.  That was helpful, incredibly so, because it jumps to the first unread post in that next topic, and I'm now reading a post that i have no idea what the subject is all about!  Sometimes I can pick up right away - if there's some quoted information, for example.  But I have to look at the URL bar to see the topic if I can't figure it out.

The previous forum iteration I could see the next topic, and have that in my head when the next unread post popped up.  In many cases, that next unread post is midstream of a discussion, a response to previous comments, and has no reference to the previous discussion.  Knowing the topic at least gives me some heads up and I find myself missing that little, minor detail more and more as I browse the forum today.

Anyone else feel the same?  Can it be added back?

Edited by CAVinoGal
  • Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

I keep my activity stream in one tab, and open the threads I'd like to read (to first unread comment) in separate tabs. Never used the 'next topic' at the bottom of the page. But I can see how if you've adopted that into your workflow then this change would be a big bump in the road.

I used that feature and don't miss that it doesn't show the title of the next Topic so much,  but now it will generate an error page if you click on "Next Unread Topic" and there are no unread topics in the sub-forum.   There really isn't anyway to tell if there are more unread topics.   Before, it wouldn't render a link.  

• Helpful 1
On 9/12/2019 at 8:21 AM, NYPaddleCacher said:

I used that feature and don't miss that it doesn't show the title of the next Topic so much,  but now it will generate an error page if you click on "Next Unread Topic" and there are no unread topics in the sub-forum.   There really isn't anyway to tell if there are more unread topics.   Before, it wouldn't render a link.  

It seems a little buggy as I get used to the new format.  SOMETIMES, if there is no unread content, the link is gone (it doesn't render a link).  Other times, I'll see the link, click it, and get :

image.png.4b8ac08d6bc03e7e42faa5f0ffd9d887.png  Inconsistent and annoying, and I STILL miss not seeing the topic forthe next unread post!!

• Upvote 1
On 9/14/2019 at 3:07 PM, CAVinoGal said:

It seems a little buggy as I get used to the new format.  SOMETIMES, if there is no unread content, the link is gone (it doesn't render a link).  Other times, I'll see the link, click it, and get :

image.png.4b8ac08d6bc03e7e42faa5f0ffd9d887.png  Inconsistent and annoying, and I STILL miss not seeing the topic forthe next unread post!!

I mention this when the change first appeared.   I have no idea why they removed the name of the "next topic"  displaying a "Sorry, there is a problem" when there are no more unread topics is a bug.   Reading all of topics in a forum section is normal, expected behavior. 

I'm not happy about the changes to the forum in this update. Not having the title of the next thread is a big annoyance to me. The random issue of the 'error message' when there are no more unread threads, instead of the pruor behavior of that link being gone, seems like inept or uncaring programming.

Those developer hours could have been spent fixing the Drafts issues, recurring notice of souvenir earned, or some of the myriad other issues within the app or website.

21 hours ago, K13 said:

I'm not happy about the changes to the forum in this update. Not having the title of the next thread is a big annoyance to me. The random issue of the 'error message' when there are no more unread threads, instead of the pruor behavior of that link being gone, seems like inept or uncaring programming.

Those developer hours could have been spent fixing the Drafts issues, recurring notice of souvenir earned, or some of the myriad other issues within the app or website.

The forum software isn't developed by GS.   The behavior that we are seeing may be the result of an update of forum software that GS is using and they may have no control over it

:::sigh:::

I'm getting used to looking at the URL bar to see what the topic is.  I thought  hovering over the NEXT UNREAD TOPIC link might show what the next topic is, but all it does is show me the name of the topic I am currently viewing, NOT the topic it will take me to when I click it.

And I think I figured out why the Next Unread is there and gives an error, and sometimes is NOT there - if a topic in the category has been moved to another category, then that category is still bolded (as if there are unread threads) and the link appears but gives the error page. (Instead of the previous, before the update, behavior of saying "There are no more unread topics")  If I clear the category by marking all threads as read - then when I reach othe end of the unread content, the link disappears and I know I am at the end, just as before, there is no longer a Next Unread link to click.

• Upvote 1