What's *not* premium now?

ByronForestPreserve

This might sound silly, but I've been a premium member for years and I don't really know what comes with the free app nowadays. Someone from another forest preserve asked me what the differences are between the Premium and free accounts...I thought I knew, but reading around the forums I see that there are still PMO caches. How does that work? I thought that the free app was D 1-1.5 and  T 1-1.5 and anything higher was premium/paid app.

Then I wondered--with a free membership, could someone hide a D2 T3 cache?

Could someone explain the teirs, please, so that I can answer correctly? I did read the FAQs and help center, but it wasn't very clear on the details. Thanks!

Edited by ByronForestPreserve

With or without apps, Premium Members have a large range of benefits* that a Basic Member don't... since... ever.

Logging Premium Member Only caches was always possible to Basic Members, they just need to have the GCCode of a given PMO cache.

The official app will only show D2/T2 Traditional close-by caches for Basic Members. Premium Members will see all... except Archived.

Accessing the homepage, a Basic Member will see all the caches, just like a Premium.

Any Member can hide caches of any D/T, even on the first day of registration... they don't need Premium.

* Collect and grant Favorite Points, create Lists, create Pocket Queries, hide PMO (yes), create Routes, etc.

Edited by RuideAlmeida
  • Helpful 1
17 minutes ago, VAVAPAM said:

Did you see this page (it is App-specific)?  It states the current D/T rating limitation of 2/2... and some other stuff. :)

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=102&pgid=764

A basic member can see more on the WEBSITE, just not on the app....

Oh, I see that RuideAlmeida just answered, so I'll stop.

That's the page I never found, thanks! I kept looking through the "Getting Started" sections of the help center, and never got to this info.

15 hours ago, The A-Team said:

Just to clarify this point, a Basic member can see all D/Ts and cache types on the website, but they still won't see PMO caches.

Just to clarify more, a basic member can even see a PMO cache on the nearest caches list on the website, with its name, type, D/T, size, placed date etc., but cannot access its listing, including official coordinates. A basic member cannot see a PMO cache on both browse and search maps.

• Helpful 1
7 minutes ago, rapotek said:

Just to clarify more, a basic member can even see a PMO cache on the nearest caches list on the website, with its name, type, D/T, size, placed date etc., but cannot access its listing, including official coordinates. A basic member cannot see a PMO cache on both browse and search maps.

Thank you for that!  I was just going to ask if that were still the case. 

Is that the case on the website, too?  I seem to recall being able to see a greyed-out icon on the map which, if clicked, simply stated that it was PMO without details.  That was quite some time ago, so maybe it has changed?

Edited by VAVAPAM
also too
18 minutes ago, VAVAPAM said:

Thank you for that!  I was just going to ask if that were still the case. 

Is that the case on the website, too?  I seem to recall being able to see a greyed-out icon on the map which, if clicked, simply stated that it was PMO without details.  That was quite some time ago, so maybe it has changed?

I was addressing the website list and maps. I do not know how does it look in the app, I do not use it. The only greyed-out icons visible on map for basic members are temporarily disabled non-PMO caches.

3 minutes ago, rapotek said:

I was addressing the website list and maps. I do not know how does it look in the app, I do not use it. The only greyed-out icons visible on map for basic members are temporarily disabled non-PMO caches.

OK, thanks.  Really not trying to be difficult; just trying to understand:  So basic members CAN see the icon of a PMO cache on the map?

19 minutes ago, VAVAPAM said:

OK, thanks.  Really not trying to be difficult; just trying to understand:  So basic members CAN see the icon of a PMO cache on the map?

No, they cannot. They can see a PMO cache information (excluding listing and coordinates) on the list of nearest caches (https://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=...&lng=...), but not on a map.

6 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

A basic member can now download the full gpx file from any non-PMO cache page.  They used to only get loc files.  They've been upgraded some in the phone app era.

Are you sure basic members can get the full GPX file? The last I heard, they got a stripped-down GPX file that had just the basic information that had been in the LOC files.

3 hours ago, niraD said:

Are you sure basic members can get the full GPX file? The last I heard, they got a stripped-down GPX file that had just the basic information that had been in the LOC files.

I just did a file comparison between the Premium and Basic versions of the GPX. Other than differences I was expecting (file generation timestamp, found status, presence of own logs), the files are identical. I believe this was done when the old "Send to my GPS" button was removed.

• Helpful 2
On 9/12/2019 at 2:07 PM, VAVAPAM said:

Only when you zoom far enough out - which is pretty much useless for anything (although sometimes you can see a whole set of caches that are in a gap or anything).

Logging in to the website means that I can see any non-PMO cache on the map and all caches will appear on lists, bit clicking on a PMO one brings up a page which just tells me I need a PM to see any more details. The app is where the extra restrictions appear to be.

On 9/12/2019 at 9:32 AM, rapotek said:

No, they cannot. They can see a PMO cache information (excluding listing and coordinates) on the list of nearest caches (https://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=...&lng=...), but not on a map.

15 hours ago, Blue Square Thing said:

Only when you zoom far enough out - which is pretty much useless for anything (although sometimes you can see a whole set of caches that are in a gap or anything).

Logging in to the website means that I can see any non-PMO cache on the map and all caches will appear on lists, bit clicking on a PMO one brings up a page which just tells me I need a PM to see any more details. The app is where the extra restrictions appear to be.

OK, thanks to you both.  It may be that I was [fuzzily] remembering the ability to see the icon on the map when using an app (not the official one). 

Quite some time ago, so may be fixed.

Thanks again.

On 9/14/2019 at 10:50 AM, VAVAPAM said:

OK, thanks to you both.  It may be that I was [fuzzily] remembering the ability to see the icon on the map when using an app (not the official one). 

Quite some time ago, so may be fixed.

Thanks again.

Its possible - at various times it's been possible to see the icons for PMO caches at different levels on the official map, so it's quite possible that's been applied to apps. At one time I remember it was possible to see every cache on the map if you weren't signed in.

• Helpful 1